Newbie needs help

C in Alabama
Hey guys, I need some help and thought I would ask the real experts. The people at Tweeters and other stores give me the runaround.

Heres my deal. I have a 15 x 20 media room with a 57" widescreen. I want surround sound but also a good music system. I also want this gear to work for a possibly bigger are when I move. I have up to $3500 to spend. I need speakers, dvd/cd player and a receiver.

What recommendations can you give me? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Hi, I'am also in Alabama.Maybe a small Definitive system and a yamaha receiver with(DTS,DD)will fit your budget.The Deftecs are great for music and even better for movies.And the yamaha receivers are built to last,I have never had any problems with mine in 5 yrs.

Derek
Paradigm speaker (take your choice) Denon 1803 or Onkyo receiver (maybe a 600). Try a Philips, Toshiba or Panasonic DVD Player. (See http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html)

That should cost you at least $1000+. To reach $3500, get a receiver with all of the features and remote you want and throw the rest at the speakers.

matt
You dont need to spend $3500 on nice speakers when you can buy Fluance speaker for much cheaper. I purchased a set of fluance speakers and the sound is amazing and so are the prices. Their fronts easily go down to 30 hertz with out a problem. You can buy a nice home theater and stereo system there for under 1000 dollars. Go to www.fluance.com to to save 2500 dollars.
Trust me on this on, I know good quality sound when I hear.
You may notice on their website they dont have a powered subwoofer, I heard that they are making one in a few months. When you hear the sound quality from the fronts you'll even more surprised when you hear the sub.
email me at matt_haug@hotmail.com for any questions

I'm selling my front 3 speakers...They are B&W CDM7nt and CDMnt center..dark cherry...7 months old...have original boxes and manual..if interested email me @ salehts@yahoo.com

Salesman giving sales-talk can lead you astray as you have figured out. Sometimes they are paid to sell certain items like Bose. I would read reviews (www.audioreview.com) and chat at www.audioasylum.com/chat/chat.pl
Let me give you a few suggestion.

There is this receiver that will beat most of the Japanese lines - outlaw 1050 at www.outlawaudio.com $499. They sell direct on the internet, so by cutting out the middleman, they are able to offer better quality/price ratio.
You can also get great deals on Japanese top of the line receivers used on the www.ebay.com - receivers from denon and yamaha with MSRP over $1000 can be had for $200. You can check the reviews of the components at www.audioreview.com
For a DVD player, Sony DVP-NS500v (www.plazmaplus.com for only $169), and it is comparable to $500 541 NAD CD player which is the one to beat at that price.
With Fluence speakers (www.ebay.com - $179), you should be ok for under a grand system. If you want more bass sound, you can add a sony SAWM-40 subwoofer - a great value, although they do better with movies than music -(www.etronics.com $135)

This is a good begining - and later if your ear wants something better, you can spend more, but remember that to get something a little better, you would have to spend a lot more.
High end audio is over priced, so I wouldn't go there unless I am un-happy with a good basic setup like this, which is better than what most people have out of typical stores like the circuit city.

You probably will be happy with a setup like this - unless your ears are very well developed and want an audiophile components. If you want something better, you might try speakers like axioms at www.axiomaudio.com another company selling direct over the net. However, you can spend $3500 and not get something that sounds all that better than a well chosen $1000 system, coz high-end stuffs are over priced - law of diminishing returns. A well chosen $3500 system will give you some more quality, but for the first system, I would start out spending less and see if I like what I am hearing - chances are, you will be satisfied.

abhi
Try the pioneer elite 45tx + definitive speakers. Exceptional sound fro Pioneer, I have persnally compared high end denon, marantz, yamaha , and onkyo ( 90 each) and the pioneer elite is much much clearer, perfect clarity.

Good luck with your system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us