Klipsch RB5 II, decent speakers??

Username: Killerjimmy

Los Angeles, CA United States

Post Number: 7
I found a great deal on these speakers but am not sure about moving on them. They are offering the pair with 2year warantee for $300.

Is it worth it?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1631
If you have strippers visiting, good investment.

No, really, have you heard the Klipch sound?
You really should.
It is distinctive. And loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Strippers plus coke equals need for a nice blanket of sound so landlady doesn't know my nightlife. She would try to get in on the action which sucks because she smells like soup. So I am sticking with the klisch's.

So I am getting some good bang for the buck is what you are saying??

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1646
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/klipsch/PRD_145082_42 90crx.aspx

you can check this out diatribe, but I cannot top the landlady's description of auriatory.
Too fuuny!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1647
I do not require an answer to this one, but how the heck does one smell like soup?
Chicken?
Turkey?
Vegetable?
All?
I may not sleep tonight for thinking I smell like tonight's beef broth.

Thanks pal.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 375
Psssst, Nuck...The landlady's not using deodorant.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1664
ewwwwwwww.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 806
honestly I think that the RB5 II is the one of the best budget speakers klipsch has made. They are dynamic, loud, and the drivers intergrate smoothly to my ears. If they are in decent condition for that price IMHO you are stealing them. Some people even think that they sound better than their replacements (myself included).

however, if you drive them with a reciever, they will sound like $hit

lastly, they speakers also have very good bass for a bookshelf speaker. The bass goes down comfortably to the mid 40 Hz region with no boom.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Gavin,
As far as driving the speakers goes, what would you suggest? Also, I had a suggestion to use the rb5II's as the rear speakers and invest in the rb15 for the front. What do you think? I obviously want the most cohesive and complimentary sound coming from all the components.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 808
what is your budget first before I reccomend something that is out of your price range.

I wouldn't take that suggestion if my life depended on it! The RB-5 II is a VASTLY superior speaker in all respects (especially midrange reproduction). The RB15 can't compare, even though it is a newer series.

In comparison, the 15 sounds congested and boxy, like a cheap shelf speaker, while the 5 will sound open, clear, and extremly articulate with the right equipment, something the 15 can never really achieve.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I am willing to pay up to $700, preferably less, for the front speakers. I am taking my time in assembling the system. I am a stickler for research. So any suggestions will most defiantely be explored. I am always searching for the best sound for the lowest price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Gavin,
Also, I am browsing marantz receivers as my 15 year old sony STR-d790 is old and needing an upgrade. I have been looking at the sr-4500 as well as the sr 54-5600. Would you suggest any particular model over the next?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Gavin,
I went a little nuts today and bought another pair of Klipsch speakers for the rears. I found a $300 pair of RB5's. They are not the RB5II's but I thought the RB5's were too similar to notice a difference. Was this a good buy for the rear speakers??

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 809
yes it was. there is MUCH less of a difference between those speakers. One that you probably will not notice, provided they were taken care of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Gavin,
I received an email shortly after winning the ebay auction from the owner telling me there was a small "crease" in the horn. I told him to test them thoroughly as I would be doing the same when I received them. He is going to send me a picture as well as his report.
Here is a view of the speakers:::

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=140316060&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805 &lk=URL&Item=5878649933

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Gavin,

Here is the crease. He said it caused no problem to the sound quality. What do you think?UploadUpload

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 811
first of all, that is not a horn, that is a woofer cone.

This can come from physically touching the speakers, putting the grill pegs into them, stuff like that. I have never heard of it happening from the speakers being driven too loudly however. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

to me, this tells me that the owner MAY not have been overly careful with the speakers, and you may want to be cautious.

The way klipsch makes the ref. woofers makes them very light and stiff, but they can be deformed with stray fingers. I am not too sure how easily this is done because I have never tried it :-)

I would be careful and do an A-B against these and the other RB-5 speakers. see if you notice a difference. Keep in mind that one is the RB-5II. See if you can hear the distortion caused by the crease. That is my best advice.

these speakers should NOT come like that.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7961

I hope I undersatnd the issue at hand properly without having to read the entire thread to gain sufficient knowledge of the question being asked.

I've been asked to step in and offer some advice since I have sold Klipsch products in the past. I am not familiar with the specific model being pawned of on eBay since my experience is primarily with the products now referred to as the Heritage line from Klipsch and the few products that were manufactured as Paul Klipsch was disengaging himself from control of the company. None the less, the question here appears to be whether the "crease" in the woofer cone will cause problems. The answer is yes and no.

No, in the sense that the cone deformity is not going to significantly increase the woofer's distortion above what is already there. Woofers have levels of harmonic distortion that would make someone with a 0.001% THD amplifier cringe when they find out how much distortion product a low frequency driver actually produces. The numbers at high SPL's can be in the 20% region. So this crease is not going to add significantly to what the woofer is doing poorly in the first place. If you can ignore the distortion the woofer creates when it is working properly, particularly when used as rear surround speakers, you can also ignore any minor additonal effect of this deformity. The crease, however, would not have passed Klipsch quality control as it will weaken the structure of the driver.

Yes, in the sense that you will always know it's there and the seller didn't willfully and completely acknowledge the fact of its existence until after the sale had been completed and could easily be accused of obstructing knowledge of the problem when the speakers were sold. Whether the speakers work properly or not would not be the issue with me. Technically, they do not. There is no mention of the creased woofer cone in the description of the speaker though mention is given to present the seemingly minor wear and tear of a few scratches in the cosmetics. The speaker shown with the grill cover off is the enclosure without the problem while the unit with the problem is excludued in any photos which might indicate a problem. That the seller knew of the problem and (deliberately?) chose not to disclose the situation properly* until after the fact of the sale, (do I have that correct?) is, to me less than honest. To that end, anytime you think there is a problem with the speaker or the system as a whole you will have in your mind the dishonesty of the seller. If you don't think this will bother you, then go ahead with the transaction. Please take my advice and allow someone else to go along should you ever decide to buy a pre-owned automobile. You are either too trusting or too desparate for a good deal, in my opinion.

The speakers were, according to the notation on eBay, purchased in 2003. They are still under warranty and would be repaired by Klipsch if this is a factory defect. Should Klipsch refuse to warranty the speaker, then you would have an indication of whether Klipsch feels this is their problem or one of the customer's own volition. Either way, I would insist the speaker be repaired before I would accept it as advertised.

The bottom line here is you will not hear the problems this crease causes in the driver's performance. That it is there causes the problem. How you choose to resolve this issue is your decision.

* I guess it could be argued that one of the problems here is neither you nor the seller understood that the "cone" of the woofer is not the "horn" of the woofer. There is no "horn" for the woofer in this speaker; that should be obvious to anyone looking at the photos of the speakers. Therefore symantics enter into the argument; but I doubt the seller would be considered in full disclosure had this been a legal issue. How much this affects your decision is for you to decide. I would expect a seller to do a full examination of the product they wanted me to accept in an "as stated" condition. The seller has a good reputation on eBay. Take that into consideration along with the fact the seller doesn't have a clue what he's talking about when it comes to woofer "cones" and woofer "horns". The question is; did you see the mention of the woofer's problem before bidding?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 814
thanks jan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Gavin and Jan,
Thanks. Both of you were so immensely helpful. (Sorry about the "creased horn" bit. It was how the seller described it but it is obviously the woofer.) I appreciate the info and have been in constant contact with the seller who has voiced his complete cooperation as far as refund is concerned. I don't want to take the chance that the damage is indicative of it's treatment. So I am still in the market for the rear speakers. Thanks again for the info. Definately helped me understand that it could turn into a bigger problem than it is worth.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 819
the RB-3 will be a great match to the RB-5 if you can find a pair. I would highly reccomend them as surrounds if you want to go the route of bookshelf speakers as surrounds.

Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 1
what about the SS-3 would that be an acceptable surround? I have the klipsch ss-3 and aren't sure what would be a good match for it? some of the klipsch line look all alike to me except for the price range?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Gavin,
I started looking around for the rb-3's but they are tremendously hard to find. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Jim,
I tried the ss-3's out about a month ago and I found that their horn was extremely bright. They have that tractrix horn which can be little overpowering if not balanced perfectly. But that is just my taste. Some people a brighter and more crisp sound. Thanks for the suggestion.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 825
Diatribe,

all klipsch speakers have tractrix flares to their horns, with the exception of 1 or 2 in walls.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us