Where to place a Subwoofer

Username: Jwilhite

Post Number: 4
I own a Onkyo SKW-330 Subwoofer...I have no I dea where to place it?? any thoughts

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7894

There are too many options to provide an answer with the information you've provided. You are usually trying to place the source of the low frequency information in a location where the room best supports the low frequency information. There are plenty of web sites that will clearly explain the procedure for placing the sub to get the best results in any size or shape room. Just put "subwoofer placement" in a search engine. Read a few suggestions and pick which might suit your situation the best. Try several, since bass response in a room is fairly predictable and various locations will provide different results.

Post Number: 10
Thanks so much Jan!

Jon

Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 10
Jonathan, generally put the subwoofer in a corner, on the floor of the listening area. Don't put in the center of the room.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Why not put it in the middil??? Whay a corner?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
why a conner? sorry my spelling sometimes!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 381
"why a corner?"

To quote Jan:

"Just put "subwoofer placement" in a search engine. Read a few suggestions and pick which might suit your situation the best. . . "

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 11
"why a corner?"

As sound energy drops while radiating, the ear strongly discriminates against the lower frequencies. Think of a subwoofer as a radar antenna that is omnidirectional. You could get more gain in a particular area if the radiated sound was unidirectional. By placing in corner, the sound is radiated unidirectionally towards the room. This will offer the greatest output levels and optimum low frequency extension.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7924

And a corner placement will possibly excite the most room problems other than if you placed the subwoofer dead center in the room which will always get more room nodes and dips and peaks going than any other location. Read the articles and you will find the information.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 416
Corner loading is not always the best placement for a sub by any means. Of course you dont place it in the center. Sub placement is quite the challenge and you really need at the bare minimum a 50 dollar SPL meter and a frequency sweep disc to plot null/voids and peaks. Although this sounds complicated, it really isnt.

Its just that if you dont know about these then you could be loosing audio bass info badly at certain frequencies missing out on a much better (flatter) response.

There is a white paper on sub placement at av123.com. I believe you will find it most informative.

A quick and dirty way to locate a sub is to actually put the sub in the listening position ( where you would sit), play the bass channel test tone through your receiver if you have one, and take your trusty SPL meter around the room. The place wehere the SPL level ( Decibel reading ) is the highest is about 90% of the time the best spot. This is truely quick and dirty.

Username: Heyou

Post Number: 1
As he says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ or if you don't have a meter just clap your hands while moving around the room to find the louder areas (nodes). Make sure no-one catches you though. ;-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us