My Journey has ended....:-):-):-)

Bronze Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 52
Just letting you know guys that my Journey (like what berny said) has ended... last saturday I bought Audience 72SE , Focus 200C and Marantz SR8500 later will be Subs & surrounds spkr. Oh man I cant wait to go home after I pick up my new toy and play it... hehehe :-):-):-) and also bought a new AV shelf rack.

For the past few months(almost 4 months)I've been checking on speakers, I went crazy and almost kill myself 'coz too many choices and good stuff out there...lucky I went here (ecoustics.com) saw and get some info on av gadgets and it's a big help from you guys. I really really appreciate it and get to know about AV which I never gone too far like what I did now. Probably if I didnt get here I might end up getting HTIB (again) or Bose system (not good enough).

Anyway, by the time we (my family) got home I take out my old and replace with the new system right away, my wife tease me "hey, you better slow down and you still need to unload our grocery"...hehehe :-):-):-) well, I did help them unload stuff but after that I setup my new system and test it...oh man its sounds better the highs, mids and the lows are well balanced, same cd that I'd played for testing... same outcome in the store where I tested which located in there big area lobby(30X25X14)with less treatment. Take note I havent change the settings on the receiver (fresh from the box and test it)yet...maybe this coming weekend I will do some settings on the receiver or might as well use the MRAC. :-):-):-)

Now, I still need to get some surrounds & subs...probably I will get Audience 42 or 52 (maybe 52se) and Velodyne subs...not sure if Dyns subs are good compare to Velodyne or look for other subs.

It's a good timing also 'coz there will be a small b-day party at my place and I'm pretty sure they will notice my new system...hehehe (show off!!!) hehehe :-):-):-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mnfv

Post Number: 14
The journey never ends dear friend :-)

That's because the joy is at the journey, not at the arrival point :-p

Bronze Member
Username: Iceberg

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 42
Congrats on your new system Adrian,

That's a good setup. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Iceberg

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 43
Also like Marco said, the journey never ends.

I bet next you will want a new Power Amp to run the fronts. :-)

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 53
hehehe...Oh man your right!!! hehehe...now I'm in trouble...:-):-):-)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 875
Power confitioning, room treatments, and don't forget the most manipulative of all... Boredom, both in wanting to make new purchases and eventually the boredom that comes with having the same equipment for many years.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 116
I have heard good things about SVS & HSU subs. That is probably what I will go with.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 54
You know what I just heard from Berny on those subs. I better put those on my list and check it out.

Thanks!
:-)

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1496
Congratulations and have fun with it.

I have a Hsu STF-3 and am quite impressed by it, but others here have much more experience with many more brands and model than it.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1497
I meant to say "than me".

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 56
Actually I hear a lot in this forum about those two subs and they recommending it...hmmm I cant wait to cheks on those.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 109
One rocking system. I'm sure it will make a Dynamic impression at the B-day party.

Congratulations, Adrian! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 846
Adrian,

As others have said, the journey is just starting. But enjoy the steps along the way and don't do what I did and try to make a system do what is just isn't capable of doing. A 5.1 channel system with decent fronts and rears and a decent sub simply will not give you 2 channel audio bliss even though it can give reasonably decent 2 channel.

AND, don't go listen to really high end systems for awhile, it will cause you to spend much more money than you have. LOL

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 57
Dakulis,

hehehe Yup, I agree with that...thats why it took me almost 4 months deciding which one I will get 'coz every store that i went they dont have what I'm looking for so they recommend me other speakers which its nice to my ears also..so the confusion and craziness kisk in to my mind...hehehe:-):-):-)

Eld,

Thanks for your idea on the dyns.

Any recommendation on the rears? I think I dont want to spend too much on this 'coz my pocket is already complaining after I bought the system...hehehe :-):-):-)

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 58
Eld,

oh man sounds like the person is almost right in front of me (acoustics). I'm very happy on my new system and it will last for several years before thinking of upgrading (receiver).

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 114
Woot! I'm glad you are happy with the Dyns. Make the long journey well worth it.

Any dyns will do as rears. I would focus on the 42 and 42W for HT, and 52SE for multi-channel music.

Happy listening, Adrian and family, and happy B-day party!

Cheers. :-)

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 61
Thanks Eld!!!

Yup I will check on those later.

Happy listening guys!!!

:-):-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6964
Way to Adrian...and what a journey that must have been!

Are you ready for the next quest?

How about monoblocks for your front speakers??

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 27
berny, mono blocks sounds like a good idea, so as very good cables and some of the tweaks that some of the people in this site suggested in another subject line such as felt pads and certain types of spikes.
If adrian is happy with his set up, that's what matters. For us passionate audio hobbyest, we are never completely satisifed, there is always that curiousity to take it to another limit, like one audiophile at audiogon told me once.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 62
Berny,

Sorry for my ignorance on this but what is monoblocks? Oh yes I will looking forward on the next level maybe later...:-):-):-)

Thanks ERC for the notes but maybe for now I will stick with it and later on I might go for the next quest like what Berny said. :-):-):-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7012
Adrian,
A monoblock power amp is a mono or single channel power amp used to drive 1 speaker or 1 channel at a time. You connect it to 1 pre out of your receiver.

Or you can go with a 7 or 5 channel power amp.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 63
Berny,

Hmmmm you read my mind man...well, I'm thinking of getting one but momentarily I might hold it on 'coz I already invest much for my budget on this new toy of mine...hehehe Yup, I will go to the next quest on that 'coz you know us (boys) likes more power...hehehe :-):-):-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7035
I see a another journey in your future...perhaps next week? Or the next pay period.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 66
hahaha.... oh man dont say that...:-):-):-)

Oh by the way you just mentioned to me about hsu & svs subs...luckily HSU company or store is 10 mins drive from my house so probably I will check the subs but too bad on the svs...i cant test those so the only thing I can trust guys from here which they experience or being an owner of svs. The looks SVS is better and of course they also have cylinder which is nicer...hmmmm..well, what subs do you have if I may ask?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1243
Adrian,

The Dyn sub is OK, but no great shakes, especially considering the size which is less than wife-friendly in my experience.

The Velodynes are seriously good and so are the M&Ks. Something like a Velodyne SPL1000R would be a very good match indeed, especially since the SPL range have a simplified version of Velodyne's room EQ software. Of course, to get their really good room EQ software you need either their little black box (which can be used with up to 3 subs of any brand at the same time) or the DD series range which is just awesome.

Congratulations on your purchases. Once the speakers are run in, they'll really start delivering performance. Set them up now, but don't get too picky about it. Once they have run in they'll need to be moved again to take into account the fact they'll have loosened up a bit. The Audience 72SE takes between 100 and 150 hours to run in. The Focus range take at least 150 hours.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 67
Frank,

Thanks for your response on this..."Once they have run in they'll need to be moved again to take into account the fact they'll have loosened up a bit." Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean on this? And it seems that you know Dyns do you think it would be a nice match if I go Audience 42's for hte rears? or any recommendation ...Thanks again for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 693
Adrian:

If I am not mistaken, both the Hsu and the SVS come with a 30 day in home trial period, so you can always test them in your home. I went with a Hsu due to its smaller size (hence greater spousal acceptance), but you can't go wrong with either one. Superb products.

If you want something else, I would only recommend the Velodyne or the REL.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 68
Hawk,

Oh man I did check on REL R-205 (sumiko website) $1195 and I think its the entry level line. Well, I better check on Vel subs also...Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1248
Adrian,

When new, all kit needs to run in (also called nurn in). The better the kit the more it needs to run in before it really starts to shine. Dynaudio is really good kit! They take a while to run in. They'll sound good out of the box, but after a couple of weeks of playing them continuously they'll loosen up a bit, the bass will round out (up 'til then they'll sound a bit tight) and the treble will clean up a little.

The drive units in the Focus range (your centre) are a little tougher to run in so it'll take a bit longer to run in. Once again, it'll be good out of the box, just better when it's been used for a while.

When you place your speakers in the room, you set them up so they sound good. Once they've loosened up, their characteristics will have changed enough that you may need to move them again to achieve the best position.

Dynaudios have wider dispersion than most speakers. Therefore they prefer to be facing square to the room, not toed in to the listener, or only toed in by a fraction (a couple of degrees). To test for this, play a simple track with a vocalist. The vocalist should appear in the middle between the speakers with the rest of band arrayed around in a wide spread (possibly with some depth) called the soundstage. If you start with the speakers square (ie facing straight forward), the vocalist may seem only vaguely defined. By toeing in just a degree or two, the vocalist should 'appear' with body - almost like you can see them. Overdo it and the voice becomes a little congested, the bass takes on a leaden quality and the soundstage collapses or becomes pinched toward the middle.

The REL subs I would recommend would be those in the ST range. The new R-series is brand new and very good looking indeed, but the ST range is the better performer for music. That said, I'd still go with Velodyne.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 70
Frank,

Wow nice info from you... thanks again for that. Hmmm... seems that majority of the people that I asked even here in the forum said Velodyne. So I think I better start checking on it.

Thanks!
:-):-):-)

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 33
I can't afford any of those SVS, HSU, VELODYNES AND PARADIGMS OR CARVERS AND ESPECIALLY NOT THE REOVLUTIONARY FAN OR ROTOR SUB THAT EMINENT TECHNOLOGY THAT BRUCE THIGPEN INVENTED...it looks like a PROPELLER and you have to have it on a basement with custom made enclosures around it....it makes the whole room the BASS. it doesn't even look like a speaker or subwoofer. $13000 or so is way out of most people's pocket book for just a sub. All I have is my DCM dual 15 inch sub, and it really SHAKES with my PEAVEY KOSMOS which really lowers the octaves down. That kosmos is something else just like my BBE sonic maximizer...that cleans up the front speakers as far as imaging and dynamics.
Whatever subs you guys have, you ought to look into the PEAVEY KOSMOS subharmonic enhancer. You talk about earthquakes. I can only imagine that on the flagships of SVS, VELODYNE, PARADIGM, HSU AND CARVER OR EARTHQUAKE. ALL I KNOW IT DOES WONDER MY $400 DCM'S! it does retail $600. I call it the poor audiophile's sub. SVS, HSU, VELODYNE AND PARADIGM OR CARVER OR EARTHQUAKE IS FOR THOSE WITH LARGE POCKETS.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3714
???

SVS starts at $429 (PB10) and Hsu at $300 (STF-1). Hardly budget-busting.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1662
Oy vay.
Why bother, Ed?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1663
erc, would you quit shouting?
I can hear your palp without the caps.

Didn't Thigpen save 46 games for the White Sox?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us