Selling My 901's..........Need something GOOD

Username: Jeff_murphy

Post Number: 4
Well, I want to sell them and shouldn't be too difficult in my area(lots of yahoos). Anyways, I am looking for suggestions on floor speakers. My living room is 14x26. I listen to mostly 70's-90's rock. I do like to listen loud at times, but usually at a modest level. I guess I am willing to spend $1000-$1400 on a set if needed. Don't laugh, but I still use an analog receiver,(Sansui 890), which sounds great to me. :D Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 773
I will start out with speakers that have totally different sounds...

In a room that size, I would take a look at the Mirage OM series if you like the huge soundstage that the Bose presented. The mirage, however, can also present an accurate image instead of having it all washed out. They also use multi-way speakers instead of "full range" drivers for much improved sound. I myself am a fan of mirage, and think they sound great, but they aren't for everyone. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.
The speakers that are in your price range are the OM-9 I believe.

The other speakers that popped into my mind are klipsch reference. They have a totally different sound than the mirage. The mirage presenting a wide, diffuse soundstage with good dynamics when asked for it, and good imaging...

the klipsch on the other hand...

the klipsch have awe inspiring dynamic range that seems to know no end, they seem made for rock music, and LOVE to play loud. However, they can play at lower levels if need be as well. The imaging due to the horn tweeters, in the right room, can be really dramatic. The soundstage is also fairly precise, and not at ALL diffuse.

the flip side to the klipsch speakers is that they can be on the brighter side of neutral, and matching them with the wrong equipment will make them damn harsh. Some people also note that the driver intergration is not the best between the horn and woofers, but I haven't had this problem in my experience with them.

These speakers sound totally different from one another, but it would be wise to check out speakers from both companies.

side note: I am not a fan of the klipsch that is sold at Best Buy: the reference series is much better.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6658
I like the Klipsch Reference series and should really work well with older analogues and the type of music you prefer.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1568
Hi Jeff.
Is that 26' room open and airy, or softened up a bit?
Do I guess you might listen to Floyd and Bon Jovi?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 776
thats also a good point...

if you have a bright room, you don't want to put bright speakers in it such as those klipsch

Username: Jeff_murphy

Post Number: 5
The room is carpeted, has 8' ceiling, is pretty much filled up with furniture. Not exactly open. Oh Nuck...no Bon Jovi here. Mostly stuff like Rush, CCR, VH, Neil Young, Triumph, Floyd, etc.
A local place carries the Boston Acoustic VRM90 and some Monitor Audio. What about those? Just not too many places around Erie, PA to actually listen before I buy.

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 97
I know its somewhat of a truck to get here, but there're a few places in Pittsburgh that have some listening rooms for high end speakers. I know this place:

Northern Audio & Home Theatre
3003 Babcock Boulevard Floor 2, Pittsburgh, PA 15237

carries the Mirage OMNIsat setup and Gallo reference series, but not sure about Mirage OM.

There a few others too: http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Stereo+Equipment+Dealers/S-PA/T-Pittsbur gh/

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 778
in a city like pittsburgh, I am certain you will find a dealer that carries the Mirage OM series speakers. My best guess on where to find a mirage OM dealer would be to call mirage.

their phone number is listed at www.miragespeakers.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us