Got the foil...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1469
I'm not sure yet.
Of course, I am the guy who has seen a ghost.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7648

Just now?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 307
Curses! Foiled again!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 134
should give you a few points with the wife eh nuck? shopping for food wrap! Who new leftovers even tasted better!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6378
You have made the village idiot very happy. LOL

As the famous villain, Vader once said..."I have you now!"

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 798
So..what is it? Give us a review.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1472
I just got it and didn't have a chance to try before getting on the road again, Stof.
I will try it out this weekend,when I get back from Memphis, and post any findings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 799

Too bad. You could have shared your findings with Elvis and got his thoughts on this miracle breakthrough.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7654

The foil does not affect your system, it affects how you feel about your system. It affects the tangible palpability of your system. It stimulates the humour, temper and passionate aura of your music. Therefore any review, whether you've listened to your system with foil in place or haven't listened at all would be satisfactory to us and just as relevant. Spill the beans, Nuck, Memphis should have halucinatory effects on how you feel about your music. Or not. Foil cannot stand up to Beale Street.

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
You're saying its hallucinogenic? Is that what that dude Wagner was on?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 309
"tangible palpabilty"

LOL!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7657

I'm suggesting, see Memphis the way Elvis did - on drugs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6408
with a side of peanut butter and banana sandwiches:-)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1475
Well thank you, thank you verry much It's West memphis Ar. I go to, but all the same, I shall proffer comments when I give 'the foil' a critical ear.
Jan, I swear you have read the propaganda.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7666

Nay, sir, I know it by heart.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Now Nuck, do not do a review on this foil until a week or two after you put all 14 pieces on all your gear in your system, you will get about 14 2mm pieces out of this strip of foil. Its already marked on the foil, just cut it there. The best places to put the foil is on top of all transformers, metal frame inside the gear, AC plugs(on the outside of the plug), on the front of the speaker cabinets, on the TV screen at the bottom and inside on the back of the picture tube where the gun is at, it looks like a tube out of some tube gear, put a piece of foil on that tube part there. Things get even better after you put the Cream Elecret over top the foil, you can get a free sample of cream too.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7669

" ... on the TV screen at the bottom and inside on the back of the picture tube where the gun is at ... "

Excuuuuuuuuse me! The connections at the back of the tube carry several thousand volts, even when the TV is not power up. Many a would be DIY'er has allowed the spark of a shorted picture tube to be their last vision of a bright, white light calling them. Stupid is one thing, dangerous is another. Unfortunately, they often keep each other company at the funeral. JW, engage your brain a bit before unloading this kind of advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 811
Jan why are you getting in the way of the man's fun with technical facts? If that's where he get's his kicks, then let him.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Sorry about that Jan, this is the safe way to do this. I called a TV repair person before I did this and he told me to first turn the TV on and then turn the TV off by unpluging it at the AC cord, then wait an hour before taking off the back cover. This is safe to do if you do it this way! This the way I did it with all my gear in my system.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 311
"JW, engage your brain a bit before unloading this kind of advice."

What's the point in asking for the impossible?

guest poster
Unregistered guest
Before I do my grocery shopping I was wondering if I should buy a name brand foil[Reynolds etc] or can I get by with a cheaper generic brand? I would hate to go to all this bother and realize I bought the wrong foil. Or maybe since we all know cd's sound better if they are stored in the freezer I should just stick my head in there for 10 minutes or so before listening. Any help [psychological of course] would be appreciated.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7670

I would hesitate to open the back of any TV in any case, most particularly if you have no idea what to touch and what will kill you. The flyback transfomer holds a possibly lethal, and certainly educational, voltage for several days in some cases. Put your heart in the path between the transformer your right hand touches and the ground your left hand rests upon and you will be in for a very nasty surprise. This is lesson #1 in "Experiments in Electrocution", the "How To" of electronics repair. Do not risk the chance of, at the very least, learning what not to touch again when you decide to remove the foil from the inside of a box filled with high voltage (a few thousands volts here) circuitry. No matter what anyone says, the chance of "feeling better" about your picture tube is not worth the risk of not feeling at all. The same goes for putting anything inside your electronics beyond a dual "AA" dry cell flashlight. They might not have the voltage potential of a TV but they still have that little sticker that basically says "keep your hands outta here". And for good reason.

Just hold this stuff in your lap like a puppy and consider how much better you feel about being alive instead of dead. The picture will look much brighter and the sound will be much more "lively". As a matter of fact, just get a puppy and forget the damn foil!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7671

I haven't paid any attention to Mr. Belt's ideas for many, many years. For good reason. Doesn't he have something that amounts to an aluminum hat you wear that doesn't require exposing yourself to potentially lethal voltages?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 718
LOL!!! I wasn't even aware of who this guy was until I started hanging out around here!

I however WAS aware of JH, and how fantastic he thought the bose 901's (ugh) were in his "legendary" review of them in stereo review (I believe)

wasn't he also the guy that thought all amps sounded the same? (JH)

sorry... OT know

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Jan, I have already did this on all my friends TV's and gear, if this was not safe I sure would'nt post it here on any forum!

Str8on4u
Unregistered guest
Too bad we don't have a way to contact JW for the negligence suit. NEVER tell someone to enter the innerds of high voltage equipment unless
1) They are trained electricians
2) You have a good disclaimer and legal representation
You are mostly right Jan. The caps in a TV can hold a lethal charge for not just days, but weeks or sometimes months. Trained repair people discharge them before working on them.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 726
I have come to the realization that because John Wagner has multiple different writing styles, it is probably multiple people posing as a single person.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1476
Or the seven feces of Eve.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7674

There's a ringing endorsement for the person whose advice you are following. Sheeeeesh!

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Jan, Nuck, I have already done 20 different Audio/Video systems using this foil and I'm still kicking!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7678

We'll call you "Lucky" from now on. JW, why are you so damned obstinate when someone raises an objection to the less than intelligent things you suggest? Just what is it you get out of this foil deal? If it is merely personal satisfaction at converting another to your ways, why fight so hard? Even David Koresh let some people run from the burning buildings at Mount Carmel. You don't seem to understand the potential danger you are suggesting to people and yet you insist everything is OK. In my book, that attitude alone makes you a poor disciple of Mr. Belt. So what do you get from all this?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Jan, you have to put this foil in the right places or you will not hear and see an improvement! If you do not want do this the right way then just try two Clever Little Clocks and enjoy alot bigger improvement!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 320
"Jan, Nuck, I have already done 20 different Audio/Video systems using this foil and I'm still kicking!"

You might be still kicking JW, but you obviously fried your brain. To a cinder it seems!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7688

"Jan, you have to put this foil in the right places or you will not hear and see an improvement! If you do not want do this the right way then just try two Clever Little Clocks and enjoy alot bigger improvement!"

Lucky, I didn't ask for a product endorsement; did I? Care to answer my question?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6552
"Magic"
Upload

Put this icon full screen when you listen to your music and I swear to "the Big Giant Head" you will hear frequencies that your system has never even thought of!

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Say what Jan?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Say what Jan?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7702

SAY GOODBYE, LUCKY!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1478
Goodbye, Earl

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1483
Here is the first impression of the foil in question.

Firstly, the reference layout.
The player is pioneer dv578A, the interconnects are handmade with Shure connects and Shure cable, hand finished in silver solder.
Power is H/K avr55(no Rotel amp for this test).
The speakers are only Psb Stratus Silver towers, Stereo mode, cd straight.No subs.

The speakers are set up on 14' centers, with an 11' focal point.
The odd measurements accomodate large open areas behind each speaker, one into a large laundry area, the other into a large storage space.(okay, its gonna be a bedroom someday!).

The listening couch is also against the rear wall, but the arrangement will suffice for a listening comparison.

Note, the speakers themselves are light on bass, and with no sub, would not satisfy everybody, I would not listen to them this way except for the odd Etta James, but it is a fair comparison.

The material to be compared tonight starts with Brian Adams'cuts like a knife'.
The track is the first, 'the only one'.

This being a favorite, I only needed to listen twice through(without the subs) to be fresh.
Then I added, as the leaflet suggested, a strip of the product to the disc(in no particular manner), and, most importantly, a strip so as to cover the word 'disc' on the Phillips logo for cd.

A copyright infringement? Karma? Mojo?
Who knows?
So I does so, and push the platter.

One Mississippi, two mississippi...

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1484
It sounded better, to me.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1485
Jedi mind trick.
I am weak.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 136
nuck, what made it sound better? fuller, richer, warmer, tighter and on and on................just curious to see if your serious. Dave

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7712

So the theory is that not letting the player know it's spinning a "disc" will fool it into thinking it is tossing a pepperoni pizza?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7713

Hey, that sounds good to me all ready!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6580
Yes, pepperoni pizza sounds good

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1488
That particular disc sounded ...quicker and more accurate.

I know it's goofy, and I am the first to discount the virtues of such folly.

However, a placebo, or alcontentment may be just that.
And accepted as such.
I have yet to try better recordings, though.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Yes, this foil improves the sound of your CD'S and DVD's but its even better when you go thru the steps for freezing your CD's with the foil and cream on them!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1500
My follow-up post did not make the board, for some reason, so I re-do.

The results as posted are due largely to the influance of Uncle Jack, your mileage may vary.

Further, I applied the foil to Jan's Emma cd, and was happy to find that it sounded absolutely the same. Foil removed. Cannot improve the quality or selection, much as I cannot improve the poster of Jane Russell.

It can't be done.

My endeavors will include several other recordings, however, at this point I cannot say yea or nea...

More to fallow, er, follow.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Nuck, here's how to hear more of an improvement with your CD's. First, take a freezer bag and put your CD in the bag with the foil on the CD (its better if you have the cream to put on both sides of the CD too) After that wrap it in a towel and put in the freezer for 24 hours. Then put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Then put it in the coldest part of your house for 24 hours. Then you do all of these steps one more time. One more thing you leave the towel wraped around the CD thru all these steps. Do it this way and I bet your hear an improvement on all your CD's!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1509
Tell ya what, John, heres an even better idea.

Take your cd's and put them in a plain brown paper bag, no store logo's or anything.
Now take the bag and store it in a cool dry place for about, oh, 3 hours to acclimitize.

Next place the paper bag over your head for about 45 seconds and inhale the digitized music.
Never mind if you get a tad dizzy, this means that the music is being ingrained into your skull.
For thicker skulls, add more time.
Y'all might need 90 seconds or so.

Next, stagger to your front door, for a bit of fresh air, this helps to 'acclimate' your senses a bit.
But don't gasp too hard, because at this point, you must tuck your hands into your armpits, flap your elbows and crow like the dawn is near.
In fact, after so much O2 deprivation, you may just believe it.

Bleeder, I got something free in the mail.

Let it go.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 363
Don't forget to spread lots of cream in and around your ears too.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1510
It's a joke for the members here.

Oy! I ain't never taking one for the team again!

Shooda listened to Jan and Berny..NO..NUCK DON'T!

Now ya type at me like I got 10 heads.
It's a joke people!
Until it shows up in your mail, then it's your problem, hehe.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7727

OK, Nuck, you've made up for Sally Q. Speaker-Hunter or whatever her name was on your imaginary thread a while back.

My question is for Lucky. "Do it this way and I bet your hear an improvement on all your CD's!" Wowsers, Lucky, you ol' beanpod you! I shove my frozen CD into the freezer, fridge, darkened corner twice and all my CD's will sound better!? Great!!! I got some junky old piece of trash CD some rep gave me fiften years ago that's getting schmeared with cream cheese and chives and into the locker it goes tonight. I'm even setting my magic clock to when I can retrieve this little jewel. Damn! Old CD, cream cheese, clocks and everything is sounding better already. Wait! That's the ice cream turck down the street! Hell, even it sounds better!!!

The monkey chased the weasel ... La di da di da di da dum.

Sweet!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6607
The village idiot has you now, Nuck!

Upload

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1521
Good Lord(or your Diety here), what have I done?

No, no I will not be had by anyone, ever, kids.

This Nuck is a lone duck.

Y'all figgured that one out by now?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Now Nuck, you can't hear the full effects of this tweak until you order a free sample of Cream Elecret and then go thru the steps for freezing your CD's with the foil and cream on them. Believe it or not but I do all my components and cables this way too! Better sound from JW !

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1522
JW, the joke is over.

Heloooo, McFly, Hellooooo?!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6614
Upload

Now, Nuck...you gotta get something else.

After that...you're going to need something more.

And then...another thing.

For full effect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6615
The village idiot does not see it as a joke.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1523
I dont know how to gather the folks togethr, but over in amps we have the First Saturday of the Month club...I'm trying

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7731

Whajja havin' tonight, Nuck? Creme de Lucky? I bet he's got your address too; doesn't he? This will turn into a Halloween movie and you'll see Lucky everywhere you turn and every freezer or jar of mayonaise you open. Hey, I bought a new roll of aluminum foil today. Think I'll freeze it so it keeps my broiled chicken better.

Alas, poor Nuck, I knew him well ...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7732

Berny - Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:07 pm;

ROFL

(I think that's right.)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1533
No friendly, kind invite goes unpunished, I suppose.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
The Joke is on you all! Think about it!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7735

De da de, de da de da da. OK, contestants, time to put your pens down.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1537
Ja, vhatever...
I figgur y'all bin watchin' too many campfire movies.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1539
and you all call ME nuts?
Oy vay!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6624
Woe be unto the forums. The village idiot has proclaimed that the joke is on us.

Indeed, that joke's name is John Wagner.

I hear the lamentations of our women!

Snap out of it!
Upload

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1540
No wait...that was my doc.
Sorry.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1541
Bernie, you gotta be the king of attachments!
Too funny!

Moving on to the good ol' standby, 'hell freezes over', this one on DTS, the only one one I own.

I prefer the dvd in stereo, actually.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6628
uh-oh...you said something about "freezing". Have these DVDs been frozen for maximum benefit?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Hell Freezes Over sounds damn good after you freeze it! You people just do not know what your missing out on! Think about it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6633
You have that backwards, Vill. Id., WE ARE the ones doing the thinking!

You, on the other hand have yet to prove some sort of neural spark.

Upload

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7736

Lucky - Are there any foil hats or any cream we can utilize to help with this "thinking about it" proposition? Or, should we stick our heads in the freezer? As I've stated, it has been a decade or more since I last paid any attention to Mr. Belt's "ideas". However, at one time I was rather familiar with his tweaks and the one thing I distinctly remember was his unswerving devotion to allowing the listener the time and desire to discover whatever improvements were wrought totally on their own. He did not jump up and down. He did not hyper-ventilate. He did not cajole nor berate. He did none of the things you are doing, Lucky.

Lucky, old boy, you are taking this as a personal affront. You seem to think we assume you don't have a clue. On the contrary, we view you as someone who has sunk to the deep end of the pool on this, Lucky. You've taken Belt's ideas and, no matter whether the tweak works or not for you, you've made it a cause celebre to villify our reaction to you. You, sir, are the one who is missing what Belt is suggesting. Think about it!

Lucky, we merely picture you as a torch wielding zealot. Someone who would burn down a building over a cartoon. There's no fun for us in that attitude. We don't get to enjoy the joke when it's our building that's being burned down. Lucky, you are now officially someone who has lost all perspective on this hobby. You are exactly what Belt warns against.

This is hardly what Belt is all about. Put the Kool-Aid down for a while, Lucky, and just listen to the music again. And let us do the same. That's what Belt is all about.

Think about it, Lucky.

De da de, de da de da da.

We'll have Lucky's answer right after this commercial break.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1550
Bleeder, I cannot agree more with Jan's comfortable and companionable post.
Just relax, let it happen, and is the Outlaw actually on the way?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1551
And I will call you JW now.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7747

After 20 TV's, you'll always be "Lucky" to me, Lucky.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 767

fap fap fap fap fap fap

JW... you can come out of the closet, I can hear you all the way across the continent!! It really is disheartening to know what you REALLY use that cream for!

see folks! even he doesnt buy into his theories!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us