Help: Set up for subwoofer

Al-47
Unregistered guest
I have a JBL E150P active subwoofer and a Yamaha AX592 Amp. The amp does not have a dedicated output for a subwoofer. Can I use speaker "B" to connect to the high level input of the subwoofer. If so, do I need to connect it to both channels or can I just set it up with left or right only?

Username: Aviatorman

New York , NY USA

Post Number: 4
A sub is a mono signal. Therefore you do not need a left and a right.
Second, running an amp with only one channel will cause the amp to run ineffeciently. This will cause damage in the long run simply because the amp was not designed to do this.
If you value your sub, purchase a true AV amp with a dedicated sub-out, or see if the sub can be used as passive and not powered. If passive is an option, there should be speaker ins and outs on the sub to be used as a low pass filter for the fronts.

Al-47
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your advice Moe. Since buying a new AV receiver is not an option at this time, I need to try and work around the situation. One option, if I am going to do damage to the amp, is to just not use the subwoofer. I do have an old Hafler pre-amp sitting around not getting used. Is there some way to incorporate this into the equation to make it work without damaging my equipment?

Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 7
Al-47, you may still be able to go with your initial sugestion. What high level inputs does your sub take? If you can feed it both the right and left inputs you should be fine. A better option may be to run the outs of your A channel through a two-way cross-over (can be passive) and that way you could balance the sound better.

al-47
Unregistered guest
As you may have figured out, I'm not exactly real knowledgeable about this subject. I'm not sure I know what you mean when you ask what kind of "high level imput" the sub has. Here is the manual if that will help. Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject.
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/E150P-E250P%20(120V)%20OM.pdf

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 22
Thanks for manual. It looks like you're in luck. You have two options:
1. Run the sub off of the B channel, as you suggested, using both the left and right outputs into the left and right inputs on your sub. (I'm pretty sure by doing this though, your amp wont put out as much power because it has to split it across A and B.
2. The second option is to use the A channel for both the sub and your front speakers. You will need to run two sets of wires though. One set for the fronts and one set to the sub. Just twist the ends together at the receiver connection. I know that with passive subwoofers a connection like this would reduce the ohm load to the receiver for those two channels (Front Left and Front Right) but I'm not sure if it's effected when using a powered sub. This is the connection your manual suggests if you don't have a subwoofer output.

You can try both options and see which one works best for you. Just don't forget to turn on the crossover on your sub or it will try to reproduce frequencies up to its limits and will result in poor sound.

al-47
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us