Home subs in the $1k to $2k range

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 749
Hi guys.
I don't roam in these parts often but I'd like some opinions on home audio subs in the above price range.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 751
Underwhelming.
Those of you that have heard Rel subs, please share your experience.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 912
Honestly, you may bet better off posting in the speaker section Tim. Most of us avoid this area due to an overwhelming number of clowns that troll it, and the morons who think it's a car audio area.

To answer your initial question, I don't have any significant experience with subs.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 594
Tim,
I personally am a huge fan of the MartinLogan subs in the said price range. Check out the Depth, Decent, and Grotto.

I find them HIGHLY musical, and unbeatable for the price!

the smaller one uses 3 8 inch woofers in a triangle type configuration, while the larger one uses 3 10 inch woofers.

The grotto uses a single 10 inch, the same woofer used in the larger sub. They all go down to 20Hz comfortably.

The grotto (single driver) is priced at $995 the last time I checked. They all go up from there.

The Decent uses the 3 10 inchers, and the Depth uses the 3 8 inchers.

Here are the websites for the subs

Decent:
http://www.martinlogan.com/descent_speaker.html

Depth:
http://www.martinlogan.com/depth_speaker.html

Grotto:
http://www.martinlogan.com/grotto_speaker.html

The decent MAY be priced a little higher than your budget, as the depth was priced at $1800.

However, these are amazing subs, and IMHO highly musical. you would do well to check them out.

My dealer had a rel set up for me to demo, along with the ML grotto and depth, and I was taken with the ability of the ML subs to blend with ANY speaker in the showroom, be it electrostatic or dynamic, something that the REL never really achieved to my liking

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 62
What purpose would your sub mainly be used with? What speakers would you be pairing them up with?

Depending on what you are hoping to accomplish sort of dictates which way anyone will try to steer you.

One of the local shops carries REL subs now and i thought they were musical, of course i have never heard the martin logans.

I myself have an svs 20-39 and its not really that musical but works well for HT. I myself listen to alot of electronic music, which while i realize isn't eveyone's thing here at the forum is the type of music i enjoy. So for me is works well.

When i listen to music i only listen to other types of music i only listen to my floorstanders. Tell us more about your system and listening types.

The most musical sub i have heard thus far is the von schweikert VR-S/1 with VR-1 speakers as mains at a local dealer. L8tr

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 770
Interesting evolution in subs. Seems the high end guys are going for multiple small diameter drivers rather than a large single. Even B&W is selling a bipole sub now. Klipsch now has a triangular shaped one. I like the idea of bipole subwoofers in sealed cabinets and the test would be equal capability of handling pipe organ music as well as The Pod Race. Thanks for the responses. That gives me some good ideas.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 40
Wow the Martin Logan Descent sub looks stunning.

I'd love to give it a listen.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 604
trust me steven... it is

if you are in the market for a sub, I would reccomend checking out ANY and ALL of the MartinLogan subs. Many people feel that their subwoofer line is even better than their speaker line.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Would the Descent be a better choice than something in the same price range from SVS, Velodyne or Paradigm?

I looked for a dealer and it turns out there are none in Ontario, which is very strange. Maybe when I'm in Montreal this year for the F1 I'll have to try and stop by the dealer there. I am in the market for a sub and an HDTV (looking at the HP 1080p DLP) and I believe it would happen around November/December this year.
I HAVE to make sure an engagement ring comes before any other audio/visual equipment.

Any idea what the rough price in US$ is for the Descent? If there's a dealer in BUF I would definitely drive over the border for a listen.

Do you think it would be a good match for the Paradigm Monitor 11 and CC-370 that I already own?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 607
yes it would, HANDS DOWN!

and this is comming from a paradigm fan...and a major one at that, provided it is the studio series up.

The decent is priced at $2700, and is one of the best subwoofers I have ever come across. You can frequently come acros used ones on www.audiogon.com for around $2000

I would highly reccomend checking it out, as well as the depth, which is quite capable in its own right, and will possibly keep up with your monitor 11's despite its small size.

There are no ML dealers in Buffalo. The closest dealer in NY is the sound concept in Rochester.

www.thesoundconcept.com

However, the canadian ML distributor is based out of Montreal, so you should be able to find some there!

this is the website to the distributor:

http://www.plurison.com/plurison/frame.html

go down to the dealer locator, and select MartinLogan and put in your postal code.

Unregistered guest
can anyone help me with making a sub box for my buddy. i have 2 8" subs and i'd like to make one trunk box for them both. the speakers are 400w 4ohm single voice coil. i can get other measurments of facts on them if u need it, i just want a nice smooth THUMP to some like DMX. and i have about 40$ to spend on the box lol. can someone please help?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 608
colin,

this is NOT a thread for car audio! just look at what we are discussing, and this quote from stu:

"and the morons who think it's a car audio area."

that should settle it

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 609
sorry to be so short, but there are those of us who try to have discussions about high end home audio subwoofers in these threads, and we get sick of users comming in and posting comments like that. ESPECIALLY when it is obvious that it is a home subwoofer thread...

er... scratch that... HOME AUDIO FORUM!

Username: Dan_mason

Crenshaw, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Buy Bose, it's the best you can get at any price. Don't you believe the advertisements?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 639
um...

in a word...

NO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
That all sounds great. I'm going to the Nine Inch Nails show in Rochester March 9th, so I'll have to try and get down an hour or two early to give the Depth and the Descent a listen.
Appreciate your advice Gavin! Thank you.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 645
Steven,

keep in mind that the decent is about the size of a small couch end table. You can't hide it, althouth it looks beautiful.

Loris
Unregistered guest
How would those compare to the Paradigm PW-2200 ? I bought mine for $900 CA including sub cable. I found it tough to beat for the price. Also, being from Ontario as well, it's tough to find some of the other brands.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 672
the Martinogan Grotto will BLOW the paradigm PW-22000 out of the water and across the planet in terms of bass depth, realism, control, and neutrality for only $99 more. The ML is a true high end subwoofer that will let you discern the bass notes like never before, but give you a good thump in the gut when called for.

Definatly trade up!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2802
The 2 best subs I've heard on a regular basis is the REL Strata 3 and the Era Design 10. Both are fast and very musical. Both are subs that can be successfully mated with Magnepan speakers. That is a feat in and of itself. I owned both the Paradigm PW2200 and PW2100 as well as Hsu, SVS and various other model Paradigms. The Era that I currently own outperforms any of those by a country mile.

Bronze Member
Username: Yada

Post Number: 46
is IB an option for you? with $1k you can go 4 15" dayton + Really good plate amp. You'd get a monster that'll hit low enough to crack your drywall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I'm off to the Nine Inch Nails show in Rochester in 2 hours. Going early so I can test drive the Martin Logan Depth and Descent - that's my closest dealer.
I can't wait!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
THey had a Revel 15" that was used for $1,700, but no Martin Logan subs in stock!
I will patiently wait until Formula 1 in Montreal and check the dealer there for an audition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
How would anyone compare the following two subs and would anyone recommend something different.

These both list at USD$1,700

Paradigm Seismic 12 vs. Martin Logan Depth

They both seem to have pretty similar reviews and performance but the Seismic is a 1200RMS and the Depth is a 300RMS. I was speaking to a dealer in Rochester who said they installed 2 ML Depths at a club in Rochester and there was more than enough bass. Is that an exaggeration?

I'm leaning to the Depth but I wish I could test them both in my house. I want this to be the last sub I buy for at least 5 years so I want to make sure it will be powerful and clean with both HT and Advanced resolution audio, like the upcoming 24 bit BR and HD movie discs.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 842
there is no way in h3ll that you would install a martinlogan subwoofer in a dance club! any home subwoofer would be destroyed in that kind of environment! the club I used to go to (it closed) used the EAW avalon sound system, widely reguarded as the best dance music reinforcement system in the world. They had 6 dual woofer subs in there with over 1000 watts RMS going to each one.

another club I used to frequent used 6 dual 18 inch klipsch pro horn loaded subs. There is no way anyone would use the Depth for this kind of reinforcement.

possibly in a posh martini sipping live music type of club though...provided they area they are providing reinforcement to isnt very big.

I still prefer the ML to the paradigm. The bass is tighter, and the sub gives you more options like that handy 25hz boost option to help with suck out.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 434
Standard Subs discussed and cussed;

1. HSU VTF 3 HO
2. SVS PB Ultra/2
3. Axiom EP 500 and 600
4. Rocket UFW-12

REL was reportedly recently bought and it is uncleasr as to whether any more REL subs will be made as they are currently. I am not familiar with Arts ERA subs and havent heard the Martin Logans.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1060
I can't remember where I read this-
REL was sold to Sumiko, but the head guy is staying around as a consultant for a while. I think it's something along the lines of him being around for a few years and teaching the new designers his ways of doing things.

If I can find it I'll post a link to it.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 162
does noone here have access to listen to the velodyne DD series? If so, I suggest a demo before jumping into something else, very musical, easily adaptable, and worth every penny. No, I dont own one myself, but Im sure I will by the end of summer, they're that good.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1061
Maybe it's not fair, but the only Velodynes I've heard are at Circuit City. They sound horrible to my ears. They sound flabby, bloated, and resonate like you wouldn't believe. They also seem very gimmicy with their different settings - movie, music, loud, etc. Hopefully they have a higher end line that they don't sell in CC.

Then again I'm probably a poor judge of subs, because I haven't heard any that truly do music justice and disappear into the room at an affordable price.

The only ones I've truly liked are REL, ERA, Naim, and Sunfire. PSB, Paradigm, and DefTech make decent subs, but no where near the performance of the others.

Just my opinion... I'm sure that their will be some strong opposition to it.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 163
Stu, check out the DD series from velodyne. I personally own a paradigm servo 15. It doesnt even come close to the performance of the DD series. I also did direct comparisons to the aerial SW12 which is very highly regarded, and IMO the velodyne (DD series) was much more musical, and room filling. I know what you mean about a sub being boxy and easy to locate, and that just wasnt the case with the DD series, the bass was full, extended, deep,fast, musical, and also invisible. CC,BB probably dont carry it, and even if they do ( I doubt it ) they wouldnt have the faintest idea how to set up properly anyway!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us