Upgrade challenge

Eigil
Unregistered guest
I need some advice on upgrading. Being a newbie, I turn to you people.

I have Maggies SMG, a NAD 2600i and use my old NAD 3130 as pre-amp. Old stuff, but in very good shape. I also plan to hook on a sub.

Any ideas, input or comments on where to start the upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7497

Start by reading about the new stuff and then listening to what is available to you. It's a decent way to begin. I would also suggest you freshen your memory of what live music sounds like so you know what you need to aim aganist.

We can't offer much advice with what you've given us as information. Why do you want to upgrade? What does the system lack that you hear in live music?

Other than that, the best advice is to toss out whatever you are using as a source and begin by replacing it with current stock.

Not much help; huh?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1268
The usual Jan 101.
Good classes, Eigil.
Stay with it.

Eigil
Unregistered guest
Thank you for your answers!

I'm thinking about replacing the pre-amp to begin with. The stuff is old and things must have happened over the last decade or two. Just wanted to start with the weakest point.

The CD-player is a Denon DCD735.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1283
Eigil, I had the chance to hear the Denon735 against the Nad 732(i think), and the Denon won hands down.
The mids were expecially good, and the bass melted well enough, on the mission speakers and Nad 7 series amp(dont recall the amp, I was looking at cdp's).

Not a bad player at all, that you have.

I have really gotten in line with the Outlaw stuff of late, the 970 or 990 preamp's in particular.Those units really have all the bells and whistles, with solid backup.

Since you are not registered, I canna see your equipment list, register and join the mayhem!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1284
Oh and if the SMG's are crying for power, the mono 200's will power a small town.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us