Multi-sources; single set speakers

gwhiz
Unregistered guest
I have both a 5.1 and a stereo amp but want to use a single set of speakers, the L and R, for stereo use with my better, stereo amp. Can a single set of speakers have leads from 2 power sources? Of course only one will be even on at a time. Do I need switches? Does the running amp "see" anything besides the speakers (impedance)?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7448

"Can a single set of speakers have leads from 2 power sources?"

Best not to. Doing so can be dangerous.

"Of course only one will be even on at a time."

Of course.

"Do I need switches?"

Yep!

"Does the running amp "see" anything besides the speakers (impedance)?"

If you or someone else forgets to throw the switch, you will see smoke.

The best route is to have a HT processor with pre amp outputs for the front channels and simply run the stereo amp from those outputs.

What's the purpose of running the stereo amp instead of the HT amp?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1191
gwhiz,

It would be very unwise to connect two amps to the same set of speakers at the same time.

What you could do is use the preouts from your 5.1 HT amp and feed them into your stereo amp (into the Aux input for example). You could use stereo sources (such as tuner or turntable) direct into the stereo amp, and you use the HT amp as another source, but set the stereo amp to a predefined volume whenever you set its input to the HT amp. If you only use a DVD player, then you could plug that in directly to the stereo amp using the analogue outputs of the dvd player for music on the stereo amp's CD input, just flick to the stereo amp's Aux input and set the volume to 12 o'clock for surround sound for example.

Alternatively you could use a speaker switch in reverse. Where iut says speakers input, you use as speakers output and vice versa. This would work too.

Regards,
Frank.

gwhiz
Unregistered guest
Thanks Frank and Jan. I appreciate the warnings and it obvious that running both is disastrous. I also don't have any problem getting source material to the 2nd, stereo amp. My intent is to do an A/B listening test on the same set of speakers with different amps. It would be difficult to do this after moving the racks, rewiring etc. Yes, if there is an audible difference and I want to have both set up to run depending on what I'm using them for, I'll get switches. I just wanted to know if there is a known issue, sound degredation, instability, etc with even trying this as a test.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7481

" I just wanted to know if there is a known issue, sound degredation, instability, etc with even trying this as a test."

Without any type of isolation between the two amplifiers, rising smoke and that putrid smell of burning semiconductors in usually a sign of degraded sound and large degrees of instability. Don't worry about makng A-B comparisons between the amplifiers. Listen to one and then after a bit listen to the other. If there is a noticeable improvement with one amp, you should be able to pick it up. A-B tests are for Best Buy customers. Let the music be your guide.

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 17
TO VIGNE: RIGHT EINSTEIN! I guess you are an expert in frying your semi conductors by constantly spilling your alcohol on your equipment...Never heard of Drunken Audio before!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7890

Good Lord! What is your problem? You went all the way back for a thread that hadn't been in circulation for over a month just to insult me!?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 368
ERC has made his apology to you and others on that other thread. I think he has forgotten this one.

Take from this what you will, of coarse.

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 26
sorry Jan vigne! that old thread was in response to earlier retaliation that I have already APOLOGIZED FOR...I'M sure you are an expert as everyone informed me...you know your stuff. my apologies for the past as i stated to mr rantz...

I like to end anymore animosity about about anything. just audio talk is all we are concerned about. i'm writing this to explain the late response and that I am retracting any negative remarks i made towards anyone and am sorry for those retaliatory attacks. i have good reasons for them, but i am also a humble person and teachable, so since i was in error for responding the way i did with wrong terminology and bad use of the english language thru emotional anger, i really am sorry for making whatever comments i made that was insulting to anyone. this is the wrong place for it and has no merit in a professional audio forum like this, that includes anyone who might want to attack my character in the future. as i explained to everyone including mr. rantz, i will not use caps nor will i be inflammatory in any manner and will no longer respond to personal attacks but use diplomacy and reason for any debate. i'm here to share my knowledge as you are here to educate those in need. it's better we experience electronic hobbyest and professionals work together to help others freely on this forum then to just insult or degrade which is immature based on differences of opinion. if engineers didn't disagree there wouldn't be any advancement in research of technology would there be. i come from a long line of electroic and electrial engineers in my family, that's why sometimes i make a mistake on responding emotionally rather than logically which my brothers and retired dad doe.
my apologies like i said mr. vigne for any ill mannered complaint to the editor, commentators and responders. i originally took your slight comment as an insult which i should have not from the get go. one of your friends here educated me that he was just joking. i mistook and ran with it and i apologize for my responses and also charged the other people of insulting who were defending you. as i analyzed all the responses and my own, i realized i was in error of responding harshly towards those involved. my apologies again to you and all the other responders.
i promise to show more respect and restraint as i explained to mr. rantz.
i'm also here to learn from experts like yourself.
you most likely know far more about internal components and testing than i do, even though i have experience in that area as well, but no where at your level and expertise.

mine is mostly from installation, experimenting and testing professionally and as a hobby.

from here on out, i will honor your expertise and corrections on any debate. I have my bias too in favoring certain manufacturers, designers and as guilty as being bias as those whom i have commented on regarding a certain product. like you said, everyone has their tast and i'm in total agreement.
i'm an online friend with the owner of the website...www.exoticaudio.org i haven't talked to him in awhile, but it's a nice site he formed for audiophiles. i'm sure you have your views on such.

i love audio so that's why i try to learn from everyone and listen to what they have to say. my mistake for using caps, shouting, yelling and going overboard on my passion for audio/video.
i guess if i was bill gates, i would create a museaum and library for hifi and highe end audio in it's total history from vintage to current and futuristic products. That would be an interesting museum. i'm sure there are countries that have already started it or running something similar.

thank you for your understanding!
erc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us