Subwoofer wooomp or pop sound

Username: Daveturton

Nacogdoches, TX United States

Post Number: 2
I've searched around the net and even on the manufacturers website but I can't find the answer to my small issue. I have a Kenwood receiver (pretty new) and I'm running a powered MTX SW2 subwoofer on off of it. Whenever an initial audio signal gets sent to it, it makes a woomp sound. I've tried different combinations with the knobs on the back but nothing seems to work unless I have the level all the way down. I had this same issue with the sony powered sub that was connected before but it didn't happen quite as often, it only happened when it would auto power on, i believe. This is not a humm sound, but more like a wooomp. It's only at the intial/start of a movie or show on a DVD. Not sure where to look to sole this issue or what the proper keywords are to look for the answer. I hope someone here can help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7419

This is probably the amplifier in the powered sub switching on from its "auto-on" mode. The noise would indicate a problem most likely either in a capacitor in the power supply of the sub or a problem in the mute circuit of the sub's amplifier (if it has a mute circuit). Ask the dealer where you made the purchase to demonstrate a unit on the floor. If it reacts in kind, you have a typical unit and you will have to live with the problem or have a technician possibly put better quality parts in the circuit. More than likely this is a typical problem with the MTX and doing anything to alter the circuit would violate and void your warranty.

Username: Daveturton

Nacogdoches, TX United States

Post Number: 3
I see what you are saying but it does it regardless if it's in the auto-on mode. The sony powered sub that I was using before it was messed up by a power strike did the same thing in the auto-on mode, but not nearly as often as this one does. The MTX that I have now does when it's turning off or on. I was figuring because I'm having the same issue with this sub, that it might be something that my receiver does. I was going to call Circuit City where I bought it but I found that those people generally know less then what I do. I'm figure that I can't be the only one who has had this happen to them.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7433

Still, the best place to find out if your sub is doing what is normal for that model is at the dealer. You might have problems with the receiver if it has sustained a power surge. But, begin with the sub and either listen to one at a dealer or call MTX and ask their opinion.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us