LCD TV's with Tuners. Why are we paying for these?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 723
Most of the flat panels and LCD HDTV's TV's today come with tuners and built in speakers. Does anybody honestly use rabbit ears with these? I can see some people still using the built in speakers, but I don't want to. Nor do I care for these puny speakers making the unit bigger. What choices are there for someone who is wants a large LCD or plasma display with plenty of inputs for use with cable box and DVD player, but wants no tuner and no speakers?

I'd like to start a discussion on this and see what people have and prefer.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 724

Sorry I didn't ealize which forum I was in. Ignore or please reply in the HT section

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7411

How about this. If the tuner is a typical tuner with 480 lines of horizontal resolution, you pay because they are cheap to install in the TV. If you are talking only HD tuners, you are paying because the US Congress, despite the protestations of manufacturers and retailers, passed a regulation back several years ago that stated any HDTV larger than 20" screen size must include a HD tuner. The trade people argued, at the time, the additional cost to the buyer would be around $400 USD and the tuner would go unused by most consumers of this technology who rely on cable or satellite for their programming. The roll in of HD and digital broadcasts was delayed from 2006 to what is now an anticipated 2009 date. Yet, the regulation stands concerning the tuners.

This is reverse legislation of Medicare Plan D where the industry lobbyists got to write the legislation. Here the lobbysist had no effect on the final outcome. Where's Jack Abramoff when you need him?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us