Theater Research

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Unregistered guest
I received a pair of TR-2810s as a gift, and they sound great on a top quality receiver but pretty bad on a low quality speaker. I then searched the web to find out what other people said about them, and found many people angry. A lot of idiots out there thought they were buying $2000 speakers from the back of some van for a great deal. They complain about what a scam it was and speak nothing of how the speakers sound. If you fell for this "scam" you are dumb and go read something else.

The speakers I have work great on my HK receiver and I was wondering if this was something rare, or have other people actually given them a chance. It doesnt seem like you could do better than a pair of these for 200 for both quality and sound.

Please respond to your experiences:
Overall quality of speakers?
Durability?
Style?
General educated opinion?
(I said educated so none of you reply that were disappointed when you found out the speakers weren't stolen and were actually the market price you paid for them.)

Str8on4u
Unregistered guest
One of the mantras on this forum is "buy what sounds good to you". If you like the way they sound and you feel you got a good deal for your money then you've done well, by your standards.
One question that arises from advertisements for TR products is "Why do they say the retail price is nearly 10 times higher than the actual selling price?".
It's a safe bet that if they're selling a pair of speakers for $300-$400 dollars they are making money on the sale. Nobody stays in business long selling at a loss. Companies that do this are immediately suspect by any experienced shopper.
"If it's too good to be true, it probably is."
I think the target market segment for this type of product is those who don't know, don't care or simply cannot afford to get anything better and never will. For everyone else there are some basics tenets.
Is the cabinet solid and substantial? Thin resonating cabinetry is going to adversely color the sound.
A 3 way tower that weighs less than 20 lbs. is unlikely to contain any quality material.
Are the drivers adhered to the cabinet by more than just screws? Properly assembled speakers will use some type of sealant or fastener that will not allow air leakage around the driver over time.
It's better to save up your money or assemble your system over time so you get quality components that will satisfy you for many, many years. If you only have $400 either find a pair of $400 speakers that you love or save your money so you can get $600 speakers you love, or whatever it takes.
There are people that have posted actual tests of these speakers if anyone cares to search for them. Frequency response graphs, impedance graphs, etc. are out there.
Do a little homework, some research and get a quality product.
As for people that buy anything out of the back of a van in a parking lot somewhere, you get what you deserve.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5184
Go here
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/8608.html

They already have enough of this topic on that forum
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us