Miss my M22ti's a bit

Celeste J.
Unregistered guest
Husband and I decided to sell them 6 months after purchasing. What I miss is their ability to play relatively loud and clean without a lot of bass booming through our apartment. What I don't miss is the too bright high end (ugggh). Can anyone recommend a similar bookshelf speaker that has the ability to play at a decent volume without being too bass heavy and bright?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1157
Psb B25

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 820
Paradigm Mini Monitor

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 340
Paradigm Studio 20

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 496
I'll second the studio 20's

the 20's will provide enough bass that you can get by without a sub for music listening provided you aren't into pipe organ or rap/hip-hop in an apartment setting.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 341
If you're auditioning the Paradigm Studio 20s, have them do an A-B comparison set-up with the Paradigm Monitor 5. The Monitor 5 is a larger bookshelf speaker and is a bit more flexible with different types of music but being a part of their down-market line, they are less refined...good sounding nonetheless.

VicLewis
Unregistered guest
The M22ti's are great in a home theater setup, poor for music. Go with the PSB's, Studio 20 sound at almost half the price.

Celeste J.
Unregistered guest
Found this review on the PSB's. Makes me think that they will be bright also (no?).

http://www.psbspeakers.com/review.php?rId=70&pId=&sId=3

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2701
I third the Studio 20. I owned the Monitor 5's and they are a very nice speaker but not in the same league with the Studio 20.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/paradigm_studio_20v3.htm

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_studio20_v3.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/par adigm-reference/PRD_298867_4290crx.aspx

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 342
Didn't say the Monitor 5s were in the same league. Just said that I think they are better for a wider range of music. My friend has the 20s on 25" stands, powered by a NAD. They are very nice for classical and jazz but get boppy at louder volumes with music that is bassy with a kick drum. Rock music lacks excitement. The Monitor 5s are better without being heavy. Sure, if you want more refinement you go for the Studio 40s but you also pay a price that I find excessive.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 11
These speakers would make you very, very happy:

Ascend CBM-170SE or CMT-340SE, ascendacoustics.com

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 893
"Found this review on the PSB's. Makes me think that they will be bright also (no?)."

I think very few people would characterize PSB's as bright. If anything, they're slightly warm sounding.

Q
Unregistered guest
Celeste,
I agree with you that the M22t's play very loud and clean. Did you ever try mating them with a decent subwoofer? Many people believe that a subwoofer can't be used to bring "balance" to a system, just heavy duty bass. You don't have to dial in a lot of bass, just enough to kind of blend with your bookshelf speakers. By bringing in a little bass, it MAY have blended with the Axioms, and created an overall great sounding system.

By the way, the Axiom subs would probably have done the trick, but there are many other brands that would have gone well with the M22ti's. Also, I don't know if anyone at Axiom will admit this, but I don't think that there is any way that those speakers were designed NOT to use with a sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us