New speaker system.....front and sub

Username: Wayne_j

Post Number: 2
I need to replace my system that was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. I had a 10 yr. old system, NAD, B & W 604's, CM6 center, Velodyn sub, Paradigm Titan rears. I have begun researching what to buy, mostly by lurking on the forums, occasionally asking a few questions, some on this forum. I also do not have the same budget as 10 years ago, my budget for speakers will be $1500 +/-.

My new room will be 13 X 15, and currently has built in ceiling speakers for the rears. I am not sure whether I will use these or not. I will have an H/K 635 receiver. First priority is music, HT second.

Suggestions please.

Also, if you have any experience with the below speakers, which are sold online, please let me know.

Axiom, M22's, EP350 sub

Ascend CMT340 (new version SE?)

Rocket ULM-10 sub

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5121
The Axiom and Ascend work well with the HK receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 352
Hi Wayne. Sorry for your loss. All good choices on your list. I am familair with the Axiom m22tis, the AScend 340s and the Rocket UFW-10 sub.

The Rocket UFW-10 sub is, arguably, their best product, as far as what it does. In your room size, it would be one of the best for music. Its fit and finnish and is quite appealing, although appearance may not matter to you. The sealed design with a 10 inch woofer and 500 watt amp makes for a very accurate and responsive combination. It extends to 25 HZ, so there are definetly subs that go lower. I use two for HT and one for music in concert DVDs.

The AScend 340s are excellent for music. I have not heard the SEs. I havent really auditioned them in a quality home theater, but their center channel option is decent, which is a problem with many soeaker lines. With a 30 day trial you have little worries. They are better than the B&W 600 series by all accounts, including my own. My opnion is that the B&W 705 is the rough equivalent, although others have disagreed with me.

The Axiom m22ti is also quite good. I dont prefer metal dome tweeters in general, and give the nod to soft dome tweeters, interestingly, particularly in the HT setting, but also for music.

The Axio EP500 is the real deal for sure. I have never heard the axiom ep350, nor have I read its graphs for SPL vs frequency vs room size etc.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 21
If you are staying in N.O., you should consider getting all outdoor speakers as it will likely flood again:-(. Terrible stuff that happened down there, too bad it is not likely to be the last such event for this wonderful, but way too far below sea level city.

Seriously though, ascend, htd, aperion, phase tech, onix rocket, klipsch reference are all brands to consider in that price range.

Good luck,

Pat

Username: Wayne_j

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info guys.

From my previous research I had not heard of HTD. I went to the website for info, I'm wondering if there are any reviews on them other than the customer testimonials?

Its hard to get a good read without listening to a speaker, definitely a drawback to online ordering, although the price is right if you pick the right set.

The Axiom EP500 I am sure is great, but the $1K price blows the budget. On the EP 350, I don't see any reviews out there to go by, even the Axiom forum guys push the EP500.

Any one else have any opinions, pile it on. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us