Setting up counterpoint amp and conrad johnson amp

Username: Beny888

Ames , Iowa Usa

Post Number: 1
I just purchased counterpoint sa220 amp and a conrad johnson preamp pv10a along with a pair of paradigm studio monitors, a denon avr-3300 receiver, a definitive technology supercube 15in. Paid $600 for all of it and all in excellent condition. This was an great deal so i couldn't pass it up. I also have a klipsch synergy F-3 system along with the s-3,c-3, and a 12in sub. now my question what would be my best option setting up theses amps to my klipsch system or is it best to uses the denon receiver. i pretty new to home audio equipment and was wandering out of all this equipment what an expert would use. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7383

" ... counterpoint sa220 amp and a conrad johnson preamp pv10a along with a pair of paradigm studio monitors ... "

That's a system.

" ... a denon avr-3300 receiver, a definitive technology supercube 15in. ... a klipsch synergy F-3 system along with the s-3,c-3, and a 12in sub."

That's a system.

So what exactly are you trying to do? If you want two systems, there you go! If you want one system, you've got too much stuff (and as George Carlin says, no place for your stuff) and you'll have to decide what you want the system to do before we can offer any more advice.

Username: Beny888

Ames , Iowa Usa

Post Number: 3
Well i would like to run all my klipsch speakers and if possible both of the subs. I would like to run my f-3 with at least the counterpoint amp . Will the denon preamp to the counterpoint amp? And at the same time run my centerchannel and surround speakers. If so how do i go about this. Also when i shut off my receiver while the sub is on the sub booms. can anyone give some help to a inexperience audiophile!! thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1148
Turn down, then power off the sub before powering down the receiver?
Always turn off and on with volume at zero.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7388

"Will the denon preamp to the counterpoint amp? "

Does the Denon have pre amp outputs? You should know more readily that I would. Look in the owner's manual or on the back of the receiver for anything labelled pre out.

Why are you interested in running the Counterpoint amp with the Denon receiver? What's your objective in this set up? More power? Does the Counterpoint have substantially more power than the Denon? Better sound? The Counterpoint probably sounds better than the Denon but, just the same, it sounds different than the Denon also. Using the Counterpoint for the front channels and the Denon for center and everything else is going to give you a distinct difference in sound quality as a signal pans from side to side or between what you hear from the center speaker and what is coming from the main fronts. Trying this connection gets into what I consider a kludgey set up;, particularly if you are asking someone else how to make the connections. It's bad enough when you understand how everything goes together; but it's even more difficult to get right when you are following "put tab A into slot B".

Tell me what you really want this to accomplish and I''ll tell you whether it's worth your time. My intial suggestion would be what I posted above; you have essentially two complete systems. Use one for home theater and the other for high quality two channel music. That's the intent of both systems. They were not designed to be piece mealed together.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 82
$600? wow, that is quite a "hot" deal
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us