Floorstanding WAR.

Roger Wilco
Unregistered guest
OK I'm looking for a pair of speakers to fit my needs as a frequent listener of hardstyle techno. Music like this is demanding of speakers that produce heavy bass with clean, crisp highs, midrange isn't nearly as important, but it's good to have. Budget is around $1500 for a pair, looking for no more than a pair.

Anonymous

I would suggest the Athena AS-F2.2 along with a heavy duty subwoofer from SVS.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 700
a pair of Axiom M60's http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60ti_main.html

with a HSU STF-3 sub.

http://www.hsustore.com/stf3.html

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

New York City, New York

Post Number: 861
Klipsch, JBL and Cerwin Vega fit the sonic attributes you are possibly looking for, and can take a pretty good beating. JBL and CV can be found far below your range, and Klipsch can be found under or near your range easily also. I think the CV's and JBL's are probably going to be the most durable. Just make sure you have clean amplification to protect your speakers. MOst of these speakers should leave more than enough money to get a big powered sub woofer from places like HSU or SVS should the mood strike you.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7314

Go to the guys who play this music in your area and ask what speakers they use. If nobody's playing this in your area, get on a band's web site and ask the question there. Most home speakers aren't meant for this over the top emphasis on the two frequency extremes and the energy put into the top end with this style of music is tough on conventional tweeters. Using consumer audio speakers you'll probably end up blowing out tweeters on a constant schedule if you're really serious about this. I would suspect you'll find the performers/sound techs for this style of music rely heavily on an equalizer to get the sound mix they find "pleasing". Get a decent subwoofer (any sub labeled for home theater use will probably thump a bit more than one for music) and you can take the load off your main amplifier while still having the weight to the bottom end that you feel is necessary.

At the very least, before you buy some consumer oriented speakers just to find out you'll be blowing them up every other week, head to a pro sound shop in your area and listen to what they sell.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 489
a good quality klipsch or klipsch reference system will be hard to beat. They use horn tweeters, which project crystal clear highs, and the bigger (dual 8) have great sounding bass as well.

The reference series also has great midrange as well.

Check them out!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1117
Gosh, does it have to be war?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7345

We were lied into it!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 338
If you're trying to replicate a bit of the club sound then do give Klipsch a listen. Their horn tweeter will give you the upfront treble you desire and they do well in the bass department too.

You could go to your local BEST BUY and listen to their top of the Synergy line, F-3 towers (horn tweeter & two eight inch woofers in a front ported cabinet). These will give you a "taste" of the Klipsch upmarket Reference line. Heck, you could take the F-3s home and play around with them. If you didn't like them, Best Buy will take them back within 30 days, no questions asked.

By the way, I do have the Athena AS-F2s (I chose them over the Klipsch Reference RB-75). They have the dynamics to reproduce modern music very well but they are now available only over the internet so you can't listen to them before you buy. It would be a royal pain in the butt to return them if you did not like them.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5015
I agree that the Klipsch line will serve you well.

I was expecting a full blown war!

There's not even a mild disagreement.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1135
The CV's went into battle with me in collwge.Bullet-proof. Beer proof.
The new Klipsch are head and shoulders past CV.
However, I heard, last year, the new CV 3 pc center channel that was really good. Never saw the release though.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 37
i'm a huge psytrance fan myself, and also dig hard-house and d&b.

my pick would be b&w 603s3 for about $1000 and a svs/velodyne/hsu sub for $500. or just the 604 and no sub.

the 603 just won stereophile budget speaker of the year if that meens anything to you. they are reasonably easy to drive and can play pretty loud.

if you also happen to listen to any instrumental or vocal music i think you will further appreciate what they have to offer over the likes of cv/jbl(which are good for house parties but dont really cut it for intimate, dedicated listening.

cheers

if youre looking for amp recomendations for b&w's i would suggest nad C370/372

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 490
the klipsch reference also do a good job with instrumental and vocal music. I listen to smooth jazz and straight up jazz most of the time when I am listening for the sake of it.

The older klipsch RB-5 was a great speaker for just about everything, and could ROCK!

I used to own a pair, and now have a pair of klipsch reference satelites (don't think I have mentioned that one before), and will switch them with my atoms when I am in the mood for a different sound. The treble is every bit as good as the RB-5, the mids are DARN good, but the downside is that, being a satelite, it has NO bass. I realise it is rediculous to expect them to, so I suppliment them with a good sub.

My maggies though... OY VEH are they good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us