Anyone heard Celestion F30's or Wharfedale 8.3?

Karin K
Unregistered guest
or the SDAT LEB-404. They are all onsale dirt cheap. Or other inexpensive models by same companies (e.g., Celsetion F28, 38...)?

I have heard Wharfedales need lots of power. How many amps/channel? How would it affect the sound if underpowered at low-moderate volume? Or I better to stick with a bookshelf speaker in this price?

Thanks.

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Or the Mission 35i's? They seem to be well-liked but hard to find.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3613
Of those 4 I'd take the Wharfies or the Missions by a wide margin.

Yes the Wharfedales are 6 ohms and 86db sensitive so they do need more power to sound their best.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 114
As do all speakers to get the MOST out of them. JFYI.

Anonymous

GASP!!!

Why I do decleah: profundities, profundities!

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Would 25 Amps/channel be sufficient? Would the Wharfedales be a a greater disadvantage than other speakers with that output? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 797
Karin,

25 amps/channel or 25 watts per channel. These are very different things and there are watts and watts, depending on who is measuring.

My 110 wpc Denon doesn't give out the same wpc as my 40 year old vintage Fisher at 25 wpc. The Fisher would drive some pretty ineffecient speakers just fine and the Denon might have trouble with the same speakers.

So, your best bet is to see if the dealer will allow an in-home trial or to buy from someone that gives you a 30 day trial, money back with no restocking fee type deal.

OR, even better, look at some 8 ohm, much more efficient speakers.

Also, it would be helpful to know the size of your room, the type of music you're likely to listen to and what speakers you've heard.

Thanks and good luck, Dave.

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Sorry, 25 watts per channel, 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20kHz. Mostly I listen to jazz. Room size is 12 x 25 ft with 11 ft ceilings. I've heard some Bose (not so good) and BIC (better) speakers.

Does an 8 ohm system require an 8 ohm speaker? How do I know which speakers are 8 ohm? What are the Wharfedales?

Thanks,

Karin

Karin K
Unregistered guest
Also the Wharfedales say they can accomodate 8 ohm amplifiers. So would 25 wattsper channel suffice?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us