What about Electrostatic speakers

Username: Fundoc35

Post Number: 6
I am a newbie to the audiophile world. I am fascinated by electrostatic speakers. I havent listened to one yet as there is no dealer close to where I live. I was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions.

1. How do they fare with the music I listen to
Classic Rock, Classical, Blues and a bit of
metal, world, jazz music..not really into pop or hip hop.

2. Do they need a sub-woofer for bass or will the hybrids work?

3. Anything to choose between the brands. What about ones assembled by third parties?

4. what should I consider about an amp to go with the stats?

Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3886
Rajesh,

An archived thread here: Quad Electrostatic Loudspeaker 63.

There are other makes, of course, but those I know, and love.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 33
Rajesh, I have esperience with the Martin Logans.
IMO, electrostatic is the way to go. I stumbled upon them by accident and fell in love with the sound. I have a pair of Ascent i now replaced by the Vantage. www.martinlogan.com
You really don't need a sub for the bass. I never felt the need for one and I don't have the most perfect sound room. It seems like the interaction between the speaker and the panel was kinda an issue in older models, but believe me, not anymore. But everybody has his/her own taste so...you just gotta listen to them and see for yourself. ampwise,they need a lot of good power. My Logans are 4ohms and go down to >1. You'll be wasting your money buying logans and using a lousy amp.
Electrostatic speakers are hard to position since the sound comes out also from the back of the panel and they are very revealing, so they will highlight any weak link in your system.
Another brand to check would be Magnepan.
Good look in your search.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3575
> My Logans are 4ohms and go down to >1. You'll be wasting your money buying logans and using a lousy amp.

I'm not real familiar with the different ML models, but the Aeon I heard at Tweeter a few months ago was running off a cheap Denon ("$500" according to the sales guy) and it still sounded pretty darn good. I'm sure with some monster amp it would sound even better, but that's probably true of almost all speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 35
Well, of course you can hook them up to whatever you want, but it does not make much sense to me to spend all that money on speakers and getting only a fraction out of them because of a not so good amp. And I am not necessarily talking about getting a $5000 amp to go with them. Plus some folks have big rooms and if you want to fill them up with sound you don't want your amp to clip on you. I guess it also partially depends on your listening habits.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3888
Let me suggest the benefit of a tube amp (a.k.a. "valve", in UK). That is another topic, but I get the impression that tubes/valves and electrostatic speakers can work together especially well. There are other threads on this.

BTW there are new Quad ESLs, as described in my link, above.

I agree with Max about the sub. As I recall, Martin Logan speakers are electrostatics with electromagnetic woofers built-in, to give bass extension.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 228
Max: OMG you got the Vantage?! What do you think? I heard them one time and was ready to go into debt to get them. I can't even imagine what the Summit sounds like.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 492
if you really want to hear an amazing electrostat.... wonder what the Statement E2 sounds like... LOL!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us