Rear speakers for my Onkyo TX-DESR603X reciever

Username: Shocktrooper

Post Number: 1
Ok, I recently ordered an Onkyo TX-DESR603X reciever because my old reciever (TX-DS555) finally died. It's a 7.1 reciever so I now need to buy some rear speakers. I currently have Onkyo SK-60's for my fronts (12in, 4-way bass reflex, 120 watts, 36Hz-20kHz, 91db/W/m Sound Pressure level, 8 ohms). For my surrounds I have Yamaha NS-A636(10-140 watts, Range = 90 to 20 kHz, +/-3.5 dB Impedance = 8 ohms). So what should I get for my rear speakers?

BTW - I also need a new center channel speaker because my current one is mixed and matched from home theatre system. I really need to buy a real center speaker, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great as well. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3565
Save up for the best front 3 speakers you can afford, and use the best of what you already have for surrounds. If you want recs you need to provide a max budget, room size, and % music to HT use. Do you already have a sub or plan to get one?

Username: Shocktrooper

Post Number: 2
Well the fronts I currently use (Onkyo SK-60's) are floor speakers, so I'm set there.

My room is 30ft long and 15ft wide. I only use my system for Home Theatre. My sub is a Velodyne DLS-4000R.

The problem is that I really don't even know what to look for in rear surround speakers (as far as specs/quality AND price). Sould they be the same as the Yamaha NS-A636 surround speakers I have towards the middle? Sould they be less powerful? I've never had a 7.1 reciever before so I really don't know what to expect out of the rears.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3566
I am not familiar with the SK-60s and a Google search turned up nothing, but generally speaking, nowadays when electronics giants (Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo, etc.) put their nameplate on speakers the results are mediocre at best...but they know they can get away with it because the average Joe who walks into Best Buy will snap them up due to their low prices and brand name recognition. (Many old timers do claim that the massive 1970s Pioneer speakers were very good.)

Since your front 3 speakers are responsible for 80-90% of the sound in most DVDs, that is where I would the vast bulk of my money and I would also try very hard to have them all timbre matched (same manufacturer, same model line if possible). So if I were in your shoes I'd either try to resell the SK-60s on eBay or use them as surrounds (at least you wouldn't need stands) and start over with a matched L/C/R trio.

If your budget allows then some people will urge you to get the surrounds matched too, though personally with my taste in movies (not a big action fan) and lack of interest in multichannel SACD/DVD-A music I am more than happy with cheap mismatched surrounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us