Advice for HT setup

Username: Semperfi91

Post Number: 6
I'm looking for some advice or guidance on setting up/replacing some equipment in my family room.

My current equipment is a Sony STR-DE898 receiver. I have the Polk Audio RM6750 speaker system. My room is 16' x 20'.

I've been reading a lot of different websites about different speakers and have listened to the Klipsch RF-25's which sounded pretty decent. Granted the amp in the store was an Integra and not a Sony. I notice a lot of people saying that they don't like the Sony's for home theater set ups. I'm just looking for something with a little more kick and boom than the Polk cubes I have now.

I'd like to not have to replace my receiver at this time just due to money constraints, but if the majority of the responses I receive are to do that, I may just need to start there.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3537
If you want more boom get a better sub first, those Polk subs are hopeless.

What's your budget?

Post Number: 7
Yes, I will agree that the sub that I have isn't much, but it's what I could afford at the time.

I do have a Cerwin Vega Sub-10 subwoofer that isn't hooked up to anything right now (don't ask me why) and could easily hook that up with the right speakers. Or should that be replaced with a powered sub?

I would say between $700-1000 is my budget right now. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 299
You might consider focusing on a 3.1 set up for now and achieve some semblance of quality rather than go for a matched 5.1 system. I try to throw out some ideas that are not particularly mainstream on ecoustics but still are decent and better than what someone might pick up in a Best Buy type store etc.

1. Atlantic Technology- has a 5.1 package for 1200 MSRP. I think it does a decent job for HT at the entry level for the money. Perhaps they will sell you a less then fullpackage so you have some money for other things. I don't care for the sub in that package however.

2. American Acoustic Development- has 2 new HT packages that I saw ( BUT DID NOT HEAR) at CES. I spoke with one of their national managers who swears the new stuff is better than their discontinued E series which I auditioned in detail in 2004. I feel that their less expensive new speakers are better than their more expensive on wall stuff- I am basing this off of examining the construction of each as well as the spec sheets.

3. I prefer both of these set ups to the Klipsch rf-25 which I have heard many many times ( these are set up at a nearby audio store) but I agree that the Klipsch on first gander seems to be a fun listen for DVDs in an HT setting.

4. None of these approach what I consider to be "audio fidelity" but do fine for digital processed audio in a reasoanbly priced set up.

5. You'll likely get a cost breakdown recommendation on Hsu subs/ascend speakers or Athenas ( from the mirage/energy family in Canada) as well as a Panasonic receiever in a thread to follow that also fits closely to your budget. Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3538
Marc,

did you get a chance to hear the new SVS speakers at CES? I'd be curious what you thought of them.

$1000 plus shipping for 5 speakers plus a very decent sub sounds like a great deal if those are decent speakers. Their FR charts certainly impress.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm

Post Number: 8
Thanks, Marc. I'll definitely check out the Athena's and AT you mentioned. I'm trying to get away from the HTIB setup which is what I have now and get some good quality equipment even if it is in pieces for now.
My friend has some Polk Audio LSi15's which sound pretty nice, but a pair of those is a bit out of my price range. Any thoughts about just a pair of speakers and center that would work well with the receiver I have?
Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3545
Semperfi,

The best performance-to-price ratio IMO would be the $250 digital-switching Panasonic sa-xr55. This puny-looking 10 pounder singlehandedly retired my Marantz 5400 and NAD separates, easily surpassing them in both sound quality and most surprisingly, real power.

There are a small handful of people on this board who vociferously dislike the Panny's allegedly "digital" sound, so I would advise ABing it at home with another analog receiver up to 3x its cost, like a Yamaha 657 or a Harman Kardon 435, and sending back the one you like less. Return shipping on the Panny is a piddling $15 which I think is a very small risk for the chance to save hundreds of dollars.

Read up on all the buzz, including people with much more expensive gear than me who ended up preferring the Panny, and you'll see why:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...51&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

As for the speakers, I'd recommend the Internet direct brands like Ascend Acoustics for speakers and either Hsu or SVS for the sub...again far better bang for the buck than paying local retail since there's no middleman's markup involved. All 3 brands are extremly well reviewed, just do a Google search and you'll see.

For example:
Ascend CMT-340center, CBM-170 L/R, CBM-170 surrounds ... $906 shipped from ascendacoustics.com and add a Mirage S12 subwoofer from vanns.com for $400 shipped.

That coupled with the Panny would leave you well under budget. If you're short on cash you can use the Polks for surrounds and just get the Ascends for your front 3 speakers.

Log on to the Ascend website's forum and ask if there's an Ascend owner in your area who'll let you come listen. That's how I went about it, though I would have used their 30-day no-hassle refund policy if necessary...just order a single pair of the 170s and take them into stores to AB against other speakers. Takes a little trouble but these are not huge floorstanders we're talking about, and it's the only way to really know what you like.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 305
hehe. See? Check my #5 point. At least there are some things in this world you can count on!

Eddie- glad to see you back. Unfortunately we are getting to the age where our friend's parents are movin on in years and take ill etc. Best wishes to you and your family. If you wanna get together and talk about the toys at CES or whatever let me know.

I heard the SVS speakers. The problem at Alexis Park ( one of several) is that really really good stuff from all over the world is there and you just listen and listen for hours suite to suite. A new speaker line like SVS is gonna have trouble in that crowd as far as straight comparative evaluations ( for many thats NOT the purpose of setting up a room- to compete) but for me-- I am always comparing how differenet set ups handle material differently. The answer is I was NOT impresssed by the SVS speakers in any way. HOWEVER- I was highly impressed with the SVS pb ultra/2 sub. I got a massage, pant cleaning, and adrenaline rush all at once. hehe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3549
actually I thought your #5 point was meant as a cue, LOL.

I'll send you an email.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us