Which speakers........?

Username: Jefyam

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my home audio system with either JBL Northridge line or Klipsch Reference line. Has anyone heard good or bad things about these systems? I've listened to some Klipsch stuff at Best Buy and thought they were pretty nice. As for the JBL's I haven't heard them yet. Just read alot about them on the net. So if anyone has some input I'd appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7176

Gosh, Jeff, if you've read "a lot" about the JBL's on the web, anything we might say would probably be anticlimactic. It's rather difficult to tell you how to upgrade when we know nothing about what you presently own, why you want to upgrade from what you own, what you are trying to find in the new speakers or at what price you are shopping. A little more information on your part would help us out here. Hint; if you listen to violin sonatas on a regular basis, neither of the above lines would be my first suggestion. My taste however, may not be your taste.

Username: Jefyam

Post Number: 2
I presently have a JBL scs 150 5.1 package with a onkyo tx-sr600 receiver. I was planning on upgrading the receiver down the road. The reason I'm looking for something new is, I bought a new home with a large great room and I'd like to have floor speakers up front, large center channel, and some nice rears. All i'm asking is if anyone out there likes or dislikes these systems I posted about. Money wise around 1500.00 to 2000.00 just in speakers.

Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 8
Jeff, the short answer is steer clear of both Klipsch and JBL speakers sold at BB. You can get much better quality for the same money buying online.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7177

The internet offers some good values if you do your homework before ordering. The value of the Alegria Audio products is top notch mostly because they are sold over the internet and because Tim is giving away his speakers far too inexpensively as his company ramps up production.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/products.htm

It would certainly benefit you to listen to some other brands before deciding Best Buy has the speakers you want. Spend an afternoon visiting some of the independent audio dealers in your area. Reading a few of the posts on the forum will give you an idea what brands many of the mambers here think are worth the money spent. Take along some CD's you're familiar with and tell the salesperson what you have and what you think you want. The products at the small, independent shops usually have better quality sound and value than the generic stuff you find at a big box like Best Buy. You might be interested in the series of articles The Absolute Sound magazine is currently running on shopping for mid priced gear at the various locations a typical consumer is likely to find in their area. The big box stores did not fair well, as you might have guessed. A lack of knowledge, sales ability, demonstration facilities and service are the most common impediments to getting decent help (and decent products) at a Best Buy or Circuit City. The small shops are where you'll find the salespeople and owner's who do this for the love of the equipment and the sound it produces. An afternoon spent shopping is well worth the effort. If, after hearing what a pair of Paradigms or Magnepans can do, you still like the JBL's, you'll have done the work required to get a speaker you'll enjoy for a longer time than your current set lasted you.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
If your looking for the best bang for the buck speakers just try SDAT SB-E639D speakers from www.overstock.com and if you want to make them speakers sound alot better then put some QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on them, this is a major breakthrough product that people will be talking about for a long time to come! www.xtremeavllc.com

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4819
John Wagner,
I see you are still selling your wares and voodoo on this site. You haven't answered the question about how contact enhancer will make them sound a lot better and how is it a major breakthrough? And do not give me that anecdotal BS that all your friends tried it and were "amazed". Magic is not the answer, so do not ply that crap either.

Jeff,
Be advised...the SDAT that this troll is plying on this board is not the best bang for the buck. He claimed that it is the best speakers under $5k! They are bargain basement speakers and rightly so. You can buy them at your local flea market and I have seen them being marketed under different names.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Berny, I'm not trying to sell anything! This contact enhancer is the greatest tweak to ever come along! Berny, please do not take my word for it you can find out for yourself that this contact enhancer really does work, you can always get your money back if your not amazed about this stuff after 2 or 3 weeks break-in time! These SDAT speakers are the real deal and alot people that has (never heard them) just likes to put them down all the time! If some you all would just hear them for yourselves I bet you that you all wouldn't say bad things about these SDAT speakers anymore! And I'm not connected with these companies in any way!

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 845
maybe he is the reincarnation of richard.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7184

Maybe he is Dick's @sshole speaking. Cause this is pure crap. Contact enhancer takes two weeks to "break in"? Why do you think they call it "enhancer"? Where do you get your information? What planet are you from and what days do they allow you outside the hospital? With or without supervision?

I have no problem with contact enhancers and how they do their job. But, please, John Wagner, do not promote products based on this level of understanding. Contribute something useful to the forum or, please, go ask for more Lithium and Playdoh.

Can we stick to answering the question posted by Jeff and not devolve into any more BS about contact enhancers? Jeff, if you wish to listen to the SDAT's they are available from the internet.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Jan, your real funny, Ha Ha! I do know what I'm talking about, this QuickSilver GOLD gives you about a 40% improvement on Audio and Video, its the best tweak on the market right now! Long live SDAT SB-E639D speakers !

Gold Member

Post Number: 4828
40%???
How did you quantify that?

How did you know it is the "best tweak" on the market?

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 100
Sounds to me after reading all of Johns posts, that he was suckered into these speakers, and now wants to bring along others..........misery loves company! John, give up, the members here have had chances to hear most speaker brands out there, including your junk, just look at how EMMA is getting around. Use your brain, if in fact you have one, and go harass another forum.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
If you go and check on the other forums you will find out that the word is getting around about this QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer! As for the SDAT speakers well I know they are great speakers, say what you want to about them but I know better! Some people just get their kicks by putting products down that they have never try out! Why is it like that on most of these forums??? Get a life!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2633
John, I don't know if you mean well or are just a wacko but your message is not being well received here. In case you are wondering why, please allow me to clarify. First you come as an unregistered guest and try to sell folks on SDAT's, then you try to sell this "contact enhancer" tweak both of which you make outrageous claims for. You have not been here long enough nor do you have the credibility with us to make such ridiculous claims without being questioned. We have long term, very knowledgeable folks here at this forum who we would likely be questioned if they made those claims why do do you think you should be exempt. If you and your claims can't stand up to the scrutiny then don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine on your way out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4831
Art, I fear that concept is lost on John Wagner. He resorts to the usual prosecution syndrome when questioned about his claims. Followed by a pathetic attempt at insulting our now deemed ignorance.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2634
Oops I messed up my tenses with "questioned" and added "we" where it wasn't needed. Hey, it was lunch and I was in a hurry.

I agree Berny.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
I'm not a member on any of these forums because people on these forums love to jump on other members if they get a chance to and say bad things about some products that they have never tried! Some forums stop this but at this forum they just let you all say anything!

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 846
its called free speech dumb @ss. dont like it here than go away. you do us all a big favor by doing that. or prove your worth here and maybe people will accept your opinions. this happened to tawaun. everyone thought he was a complete idiot till be showed he knew what he was talking about.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1360
Jeff you can have alot better than the JBL they are not what they were 15 years ago and they are no longer a first stringer.The 639s are better than the JBLs,but I know nothing about how the rest of their line sounds.And certainly dont listen to John Wagner,he is trying to tell you they are the best thing since slice bread which is not true.For $250 they are a stone cold bargain,but just for $50-$100 more can buy you the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1,Usher s520,our own ecoustics forum speaker building genius Alegria Audio Lings aka.Timster and of course my personal favorite the Epos ELS 3 all of them for under $400.If you have that much they all are better than the 639,most houses with out treatment cant support mid 20s bass its better to get the best 50htz and up that you can because thats where 95% of the music is so good luck.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1363
Jeff you can have alot better than the JBL they are not what they were 15 years ago and they are no longer a first stringer.The 639s are better than the JBLs,but I know nothing about how the rest of their line sounds.And certainly dont listen to John Wagner,he is trying to tell they are the best thing since slice bread which is not true.For $250 they are a stone cold bargain,but just for $50-$100 more can buy you the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1,Usher s520,our own ecoustics forum speaker building genius Alegria Audio Lings aka.Timster and of course my perconal favorite the Epos ELS 3 all of them for under $400.If you have that much all are better than the 639,most houses with out treatment cant support mid 20s bass its better to the best 50htz and up that you can because thats where 95% of the music is so good luck.

Ken Yasafusa
Unregistered guest
<john>
", your real funny, Ha Ha! I do know what I'm talking about, this QuickSilver GOLD gives you about a 40% improvement on Audio and Video, its the best tweak on the market right now! Long live SDAT SB-E639D speakers ! "

No kidding..? *mucho sarchasm here*
If it's such a BEAUTIFUL thing...

Why as an electronic tech in the US military, did I TIN my wires, never losing or gaining fidelity... I merely gained durability. Tinning obviously reduces the flattening of the wires strands, reducing surface contact... a little. YET, I never had a problem with our signal running through many amplifier boards... AND if your goopy contact stuff is soooo great, why didn't the governement issue us gallons of it.. HAHA
(Tinning: for those that aren't familiar with electronics i.e. John W., it is applying solder to the end of a wire, so that the copper strands at the connection are no longer able to bend/break nearly as easy as before.

Oh, and I guess John's going to say that our sat-com signals dont have to be hifi...

I'll also ad that I saw a "Theater Research" aka JUNK salesman at Home Depot, followed shortly by a guy with the SDAT style... If they are SOOO sure of thier product, why do have to sell it from a unmarked van.... HAHAHAHA of course you could get the SDAT's from overstock's site dirt cheap... because that's what they are... CHEAP...

I'm an electronics and car guy, not really a speaker guy

If I buy a cavalier, I get savings... If I buy a cadillac, I get comfort. There's always a cheaper option, but it may not be what you want.

good luck and happy hunting.

Sorry to hijack this nice person Jeff thread, but that John guys a total "misery loves company" bum.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us