Rookie needs help with new equipment

Username: Ouman111

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1
ok guys, i need some of your wisdom, this is my first post so bear with me, i'm looking for new speakers to go with my pioneer vsx1015txk(429.00 at vanns) which i haven't decided for sure yet, the speakers i'm looking at are the jbl northridge e80s(354.00 total bhphotovideo) with the jbl ec35 center speaker(149.95 total bhphoto) i currently have an old bose am5 series 11 in excellent shape that i will use as my surround speakers( is this ok?), i'm in a 300 sq ft room(in apts) and have a 32 in panasonic flat tv, xbox is my current dvd player, and i want to watch dvds and listen to music about the same amount of time at medium volumes with the ability to rock at times, do i need the center speaker?
i wanted to get the infinity beta 40s and center speaker, but out of my budget and maybe the onkyo tx-sr503(300.00 at crutchfield) instead of the pioneer, most of my info is based off reviews from cnet
i know this isn't high end stuff but any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 2
also, i could get the onkyo refurbished at ecost for about 160.00

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 712
The primary motivation for using a center channel is to create a larger (wider) listening area. If you have a small listening area and speakers that have good "center fill" you may be better served passing on the center channel speaker and investing in quality mains.

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 3
thanks Tim for your reply, without the center that puts my budget up to about 600 for some mains, any suggestions? used higher end or new lower end

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 714
Do I dare?
Heck, why not?
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm
Since you're new Brian the right thing for me to do is declare that Alegria Audio is my company so naturally I'm biased to my own product.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1041
That was a Bugs Bunny look if I ever saw one, Tim.
Brian, I have not yet heard the Emma's, but sight enheard would recommend looking into the Alegria line-up, as compared to other products I have not heard.
The Emma's first

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7178

Personally, I'm still in favor of "Double Emma's". Two gals, one guy, isn't that the common fantasy?

Actually, I do think this would be well worth the money. Ever tried that combination, Tim?

Stillwater, Ok Usa

Post Number: 4
thanks again guys, on question about the Emmas, do they need to be on stands since they're smaller or is on the floor ok?

Username: Jsb

Evanston, IL

Post Number: 3
Brian, I got a pair of Emmas last week and would certainly recommend them to anyone looking to spend $600. They can rock, and have that "center fill" quality that Tim mentioned. Mine are off the floor -- I would think that stands would be the way to go with these.

Username: Jsb

Evanston, IL

Post Number: 4
...especially if you have downstairs neighbors!

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 42
My downstairs neighbors are one of the reasons I had to move my Emmas into the living room and out of my bedroom :D (my bedroom is above theirs).

As far as the center fill, I would say the Emmas definitely would do that well, their off-axis response is excellent.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us