What would you choose?

Username: Trancedeejay

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 7
HI
I would like to buy an amp from NAD Silverline series(old stock). Has anyone tested S300 vs S100+S200, I've only listened to S300 so I'm in dilemma if maybe pre&power would be better. Has anyone had problems with silverline series? I know a few people that their S300 died from overheating(Gryphon), anything similar with pre&power?.
Have a nice Day

Matt

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 10
Nobody has experiences with mentioned items?
Have a nice Day

Matt

Bronze Member

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 11
Nobody has experiences with mentioned items?
Have a nice Day

Matt

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 320
The S100 & S200 are more traditional Nad products, being warm and non-fatiguing. They designed these two units in-house but the S300 integrated amp is made externally by, allegedly, Gryphon to their design. It does look strikingly similar to a Gryphon design. The S300 does NOT have the Nad house sound. The sound is bright and revealing with a more pronounced treble and the bass is better. I prefer the sound of the S100 & S200 but the bass is better on the S300. Others will no doubt prefer the sound of the S300, it all depends what lights your fire. All are cracking amps. I've heard of no problems with the pre & power units but the S300 does have a slight hum and can get very hot - but these issues are not faults.

Bronze Member

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 12
Can anybody else add a comment about the same thing, maybe a user of silverline series. So if someone has silverline series , please add your post.
Have a nice Day

Matt

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 321
No thanks for my comment then, huh? Not going to get a whole lot better than someone who has listened to both and taken the time out to let you know what they sound like!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

New York City, New York

Post Number: 867
Real appreciative...

I've only very briefly heard them, but have heard many times that the S300 is a Gryphon Audio (I think Castillo). The reason why it runs so hot is that the pre-amp section runs in class A, and the power amp section might as well. Class A design is very inefficient and theirfore runs very hot. It isn't a design flaw, it's normal and should be expected. Just give it plenty of room around and above the unit, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Bronze Member

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 13
Sorry Sun King - I appreciate for your post. I know enough about about the S300, but haven't got a clue about s100+s200. I can buy integrated or pre and power for the same price but haven't got a clue which one would be better. As S300 being Gryphon Audio design I hoped that pre and power version had the same design but more powerful. Still haven't decided.
Have a nice Day

Matt

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 322
No, they're different designs. The S100 & S200 are Nad designs and as such have the Nad "house sound" - go and listen to a Nad classic amp such as the C352 or C372 (or even better the C162 & C272 pre & power) - this will give you an indication of how the S100 & S200 sound. They sound very similar but obviously better. They are an improvement on the C162 & C272, both visually and sonically. The S300 has a totally different sound but they're chalk & cheese. If you like one a lot you'll no doubt dislike the other. Did you like the S300? The pre & power are much warmer and have less detail in the treble. I prefer that personally but as I said, the S300 does have a better bottom end.

Username: Ridindodge

Post Number: 1
I need help figuring out what the best amp would be for my 2 15" kicker comps. There running off of a "1000" watt legacy now (this is one of those situations were i was in a MAJOR hurry to hear my system and got screwed over). Im trying not to spend more than $300 on a good amp, so someone please help me!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2685
Josh, if that's car audio gear your talking about please take it to the car audio forum.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7341

Just to let you know; there's not a pre amp out there in consumer audio that doesn't run in class A. There's no reason for a pre amp to contribute to the heat of the system unless you're running tubes; and, even at that, small signal tubes do not produce that much heat in the room.

Bronze Member

KranjSlovenia

Post Number: 14
I liked S300 very much. So S200 doesn't run as hot as S300? As I've seen S100 put on the S200, that's probably not recommended on S300. I wanted to buy S300 before, but was afraid that amp would very soon need repair because of overheating(and that costs a lot) - so you guys don't listen to it in summer?
Have a nice Day

Matt

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 323
No, the S100 & S200 don't run as hot. The S300 was designed to be able to cope with the heat though, it isn't a design flaw! I've not heard of any needing repair. Plenty of solid state amps run hot, the budget Marantz PM7200 for one. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy hifi kit blind, especially expensive items. If you've heard the S300 and like it then I'd buy that rather than gamble on the S100 & S200 which sound very different. I prefer the separates but then I've listened to both and am in a position to make that decision. The S300 is still a fine amp, it's just a bit bright at times for my tastes.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1132
Louis XIV, the S300 is straight A class, yes?
The 100 and 200 are switching then?
The 200 with Linn cdp and Linn 6" floorstanders(gotta start writing down details) was a remarkably warm and inviting sound.
Does the class change between 200 and 300?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 324
The pre-amp sections are class A on both.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us