SVS PB10 or Mirage S12?

Username: Htgolfer

Crossville, Illinois United States

Post Number: 1
How are you all? First post here.

Ok I am looking to upgrade my sub and have pretty much narrowed it down to the choices I mentioned. Let me say rthat the price does play a part of this decision and the Mirage can be had for about $70-$80 less than thwe SVS.

Now right now my set-up is Pioneer-VSX 815,Denon 2910, Athena As-C1 center, B1.2's fronts,Micra 6's for surrounds and the Micra sub. One of the things that is also appealing about the Mirage is that it is in the same family, so to speak, as my Athena speakers.

My understanding after researching these subs is that the SVS may extend a bit lower but the Mirage is more dynamic 25 on up. The Mirage is rated down to 19 as well so it should have plenty of extension.

What are your thoughts? I am open to suggestions.

Oh yea, if I have two similar posts I apologize. I Posted it earlier but found no record of it.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5342
My vote goes to the SVS.

Have you heard any of these at all?

Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 6
Did you get one of these yet? If so, what did you choose and what do you think? I purchased the S12 and love it.

Anonymous

mirage owners don't know what hitting 20Hz with any authority means. get an SVS and don't look back. you'll be glad you spent that extra $70

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3640
Brad,

it all depends on your application and also room size. The Mirage definitely has more SPL above 25-30Hz than the PB10 and most music is above 30Hz; however, the PB10 does goes lower.

So I would get the PB10 if I had a smaller room and watched a lot of LFE-intensive (read: action) movies.

Since I have a huge 6000 cubic foot space, do 70% music and the vast majority of dvds I watch are NOT action flicks, I am quite happy with my S12.

Also keep in mind that the PB10 is downfiring, so if you live in an apartment and are on an upper floor you will alienate your neighbors even more than with a front-firing sub like the S12.

Bronze Member

Baltimore

Post Number: 37
Thanks anonymous for listing your experience with both of these subs. (insert sarcasm here). Such a useful and informative comment.

Bronze Member

Baltimore

Post Number: 38
The SVS's enclosure is a bit larger that the S12 and may effect your decision. My wife about had a heart attack when she saw the S12. She'd a killed me if I go the SVS. :-)

Just wondering, if the SVS is rated down to 20Hz and the S12 to 19Hz, how is it that people say the SVS extends lower? Is it the amp used in each? I should be getting my test disk in (along with some other reference material) and will see just how much authority the S12 can push a 20Hz signal. Has anyone else seen what their S12 can do? Or have done a side-by-side listening test with these two?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 701
personally, I think the SVS subwoofers are boomy. Sure, they hit 20Hz, but with what accuracy? The lower end ones (read: the one you are looking at) are designed for HT in mind, and are boomy for music.

You are better off looking at HSU Research for their subs. They won't hit as hard as the SVS, but they IMHO are more accurate for music.

www.hsuresearch.com

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 702
better accuracy playing music equates to better accuracy all the way around.

a sub that is more musical will also be more agile in LF reproduction.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 46
Gavin would you recommend the Martin Logan subs over the HSU?
I use my system probably 50/50 for home theatre/music as my SACD/DVD-A/DD collection continues to grow.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 731
yes I would.

I think the entire ML line are amazing performers for the price. The ML are much tighter than the HSU subs, especially the grotto on up, which are servo controlled.

My personal favorite is the grotto, which, incedently is also one of the less expensive models ($995)

the grotto will give you all the goods of the larger subs, but in a smaller package. In a smaller to medium room such as mine, it is all the sub you could want IMHO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3696
Heads up: the Mirage is back in stock at Vanns.com!

get 'em while you can, they were out of stock for a good 2 months before...

Username: Weezelb

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 5
My S-12 arrives today per UPS. Been on back-order since early February when I placed my order.

When I called in to check status, I was #13 in line and they had 111 being shipped in from Mirage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3698
wow, 2 months...you're a patient guy!

Let us know how you like it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us