Spendor S6E / B&W 704 Has anyone compared these?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 138
Someone I know is having a hard time deciding which of these speakers he should purchase. He has, for a long time, longed to try the Spendors but he recently heard the B&W 704 and very much liked what he heard (connected to Rega Planet and Rega amps). His problem is that he has to get the Spendors sent across the country to audition them and pay freight (both ways) if they aren't what he hope for. His amp is a Marantz pm something or rather, KI signature - supposedly very good and rated at about 140 wts at 8ohms and also has an 20 wt A class section. He plays vinyl, listens to FM and is also looking for a new CD player. He recently sold his Marantz CDP and custom Krix speakers. His musical tastes are classical, jazz, world music and the odd bit of rock.

Has anyone heard both of these speakers and can convey their thoughts? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2617
I've heard the speakers and his amp. I really don't think his amp is up to either speaker but that's his call.

I personally love the Spendors. They have a way with classical music and jazz that I find wonderful. They are a lean sounding speaker not fat in the middle but also not bright.

The B&W 704 is also a wonderful speaker certainly more plump on the low end but not bloated. They, like the Spendor's, have a well behaved high end. The difference for my ears is that driver integration, soundstage and imaging are better with the Spendor than with the B&W. The B&W's are more dynamic and are more comfortable playing at higher volumes.

You can't lose with either but I would give the nod to the Spendor's.

I believe that his Marantz amp may be more comfortable driving the B&W's as the Spendor's need plenty of current to really sing.

Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 4
B&Ws can come out funny if not driven with alot of power also; to really meet their potential they can eat up alot of juice.

I really haven't heard anything about the Spendors.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 139
Thanx Art and J Pady,

I agree B&W's like a little power, I noticed this even with my 602's. Art, the dealer told my friend that the Spendor S6E's play well at low volumes. Maybe his amp will be more comfortable with the 704's as the s6E's power rating is up to 250 wts at 8 ohms unclipped, unfortunately it is the one component he won't easily part with.

I guess this is the dillema everyone faces when upgrading. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 148
The person in question finally came to a decision and has purchased the Spendor S8e's - http://www.homecinemaimports.com/s8e.html - this person is my brother and I believe he made the right decision after being comfortable for many years with his Krix which had pretty good bass extension among other attributes, I feel with the 6Se's, though a highly acclaimed speaker, he may have felt something was missing. Thought the 8e's cost him another $1200AUD and are also very highly regarded by many reviewers. I congratulate him on his decision.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2627
Excellent choice. One of my favorite speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1038
Looks like a well thought out choice, but I wonder, how does the impedence curve look on the S8e's, and how do the Rega's like it?

I have not played with Rega at all.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 149
I don't know how the Rega likes these Nuck, but that won't concern him - he will be keeping his Marantz amp for a while and next up will be a new CDP. It's a very big thing for my brother to spend this sort of money, I asked him if he was still shaking :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1039
Well, MR, his purchase process seems a good one, and with so much on the line, it should be.
Sorry about the mis-read on the Marantz.

I couldn't dig up an impedance curve for the Splendors, an online friend has a pair, and I think they are S8e's, havnt heard from him in a bit, last he said his Onkyo was having problems dealing with the splendors, hope the marantz fares better.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 151
I forget the actual model number of his Marantz but his Spendor dealer says it should handle the S8e's okay. He'll soon find out I guess when he get them in a few days.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us