Best Speakers for use in the home...........

Username: Cookiea_d_s

Weston-super-mare, Somerset UK

Post Number: 1
hia two things
firstly does enyone have an opinion on what the best make of speaker is to purchase for the home in a reasonable budget.
secondly if money wasnt an option what is the best speaker brand available for use in the home.
thanks
adam

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7121

Awwwwww, jeeeeez!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1000
bite the pillow Jan

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7124

MOK, MI'm trmyin'. Mawwwwww, bwood.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 132
Adam,

Forgive them for they know not what they say - or they do :-)

Answer to question #1

The speaker that sounds best to you on a reasonable budget.

Answer to question #2

The speaker that sounds best to you at any price

Now perhaps you will see why you got those intellectual responces from our knowledgeable contributors.

:-)

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3859
Great place, Weston-super-mare.

Adam, the best I can suggest is choose one from Audio Dealers: Southwest of England and ask their opinion.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 133
"Weston-super-mare"

You Brits have funny names!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 334
Relax and stay a while Adam....There is a lot to learn from this site if your not in a hurry...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7125

My theekth still bweeding!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4759
Budget? How much are you willing to spend? Define reasonable budget?
What speakers have you heard? What is available in your area?

The term "best" is very subjective and no amount of reasoning will narrow it down. Hence, the massive amount of groans from this forum...that area has been through so much debate it is not even tackled anymore:-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2615
Take a pick...

http://users.beanstalk.net/tkreitz/companies.html

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1005
Without hearing either(like that matters), you might try the Psb B25 and the Alegria Emma.
Both very solid.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 134
Nuck

Adam would have to cross the Atlantic to hear the Emma - that might prove an expensive audition.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 95
Nuck, have you had a chance to hear the Emma?

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
SDAT SB-E639D speakers are right up there with the best under 5K when using Mass Loading (weights on top of each speaker) and QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer on all inside wiring and crossover network's parts www.Xtremeavllc.com

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1009
David, no I have not had the chance.
I was on the short list for the Emma tour, but peed in Tim's cheerios I think, so short of buying, I have not heard them.
I have read a bunch, and follow the reviews here, and have spec'ed the website and all, but no Emmas in Nuckville.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1010
John Wagner, best under 5k?!?!
When the white van pulls up, they will bring you a nice new sweater with sleeves that wrap allllll the way around you.

If you want to run a dealership, John, do so elsewhere.
The Mass loading is only useful for these speakers because they weigh in at 3 lbs, cardboard, hot glue and, possibly, vermiculite.
And styrofoam peanuts.

Nobody is shopping here, head to the parking lot at the mall, near the ATM.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4778
LOL!

What are you trying to peddle here John? What good will contact enhancer do on inside wiring and crossover network parts.

C'mon Nuck, you know those peanuts are molecularly enhanced cryogenically treated styrofoam, it transmogrifies the soundwaves before reaching your ears and makes you feel like you are in the middle of the recording session with the artists. Your getting a deal at 250 bucks, they are worth at least $4999, one heck of a discount:-) All he needs is extra beer money, he just wants to stiff his jerk of a stock supervisor.LOL!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3861
Nuck, Berny,

That link is to a list of hi-fi dealers in Adam's general location. I have no connection with any of them, nor with any dealer, nor with whoever compiled the list. I am suggesting that Adam finds a dealer, any one he likes, and tries some speakers.

My Rantz,

"Super-Mare" equals "On-Sea". So W-s-M is quite different from Weston-sub-Mendip, for example. This seems quite sensible, at least to me! (And why do so many Australian place names sound like the noise made by someone being throttled.....? Smiley...)

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 135
"And why do so many Australian place names sound like the noise made by someone being throttled.....?"

Because they most likely are named after the noise made by someone being throttled - don't forget we started with the dregs from your country running around causing mayhem :-)

BTW John, Nuck and Berny were not referring to you, but to John Wagner who is boldly soliciting his rubbish on this thread.

And what's wrong with Woy Woy or Wagga Wagga?

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 96
Nuck, I only ask because I have seen you recommend a few times, thought you may have gotten a pair. I myself am curious about them, and may just get a pair to demo. Although I wont be able to sleep with them as Jan did! My thinking is that if it is to be recommended, it should be listend to, and I admit I am pretty curious to see what everyone here is so excited about, even when they havent actually heard them. My guess is that Jan has very similar tastes to many here?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7131

When I was selling I found out rather quickly my tastes are not the same as that of most of my customers. Some had some sense but most preferred boom and sizzle.

I think the bleeding has stopped for now.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1135
Adam,

Find yourself a couple of good dealers who deal in quality brands and you will find a myriad of speaker brands available to you. Speakers do not live on their own of course. The 'best' speakers would have to be married to the 'best' electronics in order to have the 'best' result. There is also a question of taste to consider. Some people prefer a warmer sound, some prefer a faster sound and some prefer a brighter sound. What you'll prefer is completely down to you.

In the UK, a dealer who deals in quality brands, not just speakers but the whole solution, tend to deal with brands such as: Arcam, Creek, Cyrus, EPOS, Naim Audio, Linn, Musical Fidelity, B&W, Dynaudio, Totem, PMC, Bryston, Moon, ATC. Look for brands like this, or look in the back of HiFi News, or What HiFi and you'll find adverts for this sort of dealer in your area. Try to get a recommendation or two too if possible, and go to more than one, irrespective of brand coverage, so you can see who you get on with.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 651

http://users.beanstalk.net/tkreitz/companies.html

Art is that all you could find? Geez, you figure in this day and age one would have some choices out there.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3862
David,

Frank has it. BADA members and affiliates are good but there many other quality dealers.

For speakers consider the well-known quality makes such as B&W and KEF. I am not saying they are the best, but the chances are you will easily locate a dealer who stocks one or both, and who will know some things. There are new Rogers LS3/5 which HiFi News thinks is wonderful, but dealers will be thin on the ground. There really is no answer to your first question, except "it all depends..."

MR,

Ah, I see. Yes, I thought it was me....

Not the "Dregs" - just the ones who didn't quite fit in! I think I explained once that I am 1/4 Australian, at least by birth. I am pleased about that. No wildlife jokes, please. Or sheep jokes.

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
I'm not trying to sell anything but I do want everybody here to know that these SDAT SB-E639D speakers are amazing good speakers at a great great price! And Mass Loading is right up there with room treatment with it's effects on sound ! This QuickSilver GOLD contact enhancer is a major breakthrough product! It's like getting a major upgrade on everything you put this stuff on! http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1140114500

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 762
It's a sucker product. It is hardly difficult to have a good speaker connection. This crap costs $159 and is only good for dealers and the manufacturer (and "true believers).

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 829
"Thread: Best Speakers for use in the home..........."

The best speakers are the ones you can afford that most accurately reproduce music the way you feel they should.

Or...
The ones that get you the most chicks.

Maybe a combination of the two, but I tend to go with the latter rather than the former.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 774
Stu,

Finally, an intelligent response - no, not your first one - to the gentleman's question.

Jan, I am overnighting the bandages and some super glue to take care of the bleeding and the horrendous hole on the inside of your cheek.

Nuck, I don't know that you ticked Tim off, I think he is still recuperating from his overseas trip BUT THEN AGAIN, you may have, I don't know.

Now, with all the speculation on the Emmas, have I missed Jan's review? Is is somewhere I forgot to look? Am I still getting a pair of the Emmas to compare to everything that's now in my house?

I've gone from no speakers to multiple sets. In fact, I may pull my old fronts out just to compare them to the Altecs, the Klipschs, the Emmas, the Ascend 170s and whatever else I can find here in the audio desert.

(Sorry Art, still haven't heard back from the Paradigm dealer in Cd'A but I'm sure I'm on his annual call back list. LOL)

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 137
"I think I explained once that I am 1/4 Australian, at least by birth."

John A - I knew you weren't quite right!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 776
Hey,

I found Jan's review of the Emmas. Great read, great fun and now great anticipation.

So, I am waiting patiently for a listen, Tim, but they'll have some pretty decent competition now. It should be fun but I don't think I've got 5-6 pages in me for a review. LOL

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Gregory Stern, you can try this QuickSilver Gold out and find out for yourself if this product does or does not work or not but I will bet "alot of money" that you will not return it for your money back!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4781
John A.,
My apologies, I was not referring to you when I asked about what "John" was peddling. I was asking this John Wagner fellow why he was trying to sell a $50 set of speakers and claim it to be the best under 5K!

John Wagner, how will this quicksilver gold work on wiring that is already connected/soldered in crossover networks? Answer that, please!

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
Berny, I do not know how or why this QuickSilver GOLD stuff works, all I know is that my ears are telling me that this stuff is changing the sound for better, it's like magic! If I had not heard it myself I would had not believed it too!! Some of my friends heard my system with this stuff on it and have already ordered some, they were amazed too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4785
Nah, I think I'll pass. My faith is better served on something else than some hearsay about contact enhancer on soldered wires.

Your credibility is really non existent the moment you suggested some speakers as being the best at under 5K. I suppose you used contact enhance on these speakers as well. We should all use contact enhancers on any electronic part, it will all work better...or maybe it only works on speakers? Does it know if it is being applied to speaker wires or crossover networks?

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 46
Lol... "magic"... where are those gems or stones you place at points within your room so that the harmonics resonate with lattice structure of the stones...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us