AV Receiver NAD T-753

Username: Mrdiablin

Post Number: 3
I`m almost decided to buy NAD T-753(T763 is too expensive) but I have a question if NAD gives me a 3 dimentional sound at good quality in Home Cinema. I have read some tests and it has strange notes:
HI-FI & HOME CINEMA
What we like about this receiver
-Excellent basic sound quality
-Good choice for CD replay
What we don’t like about this receiver
-Better with music than home cinema (is it true?)
-DTS doesn’t show full expected advantage (is is true?)

"If the NAD has a weakness, it is that it doesn’t
sustain quite the same level of excellence with
film soundtracks. Like most modern receivers,
it is perfectly capable of good, strong imaging
from Dolby Digital or DTS sources, but it doesn’t
sound as open or as immersive with Dolby Digital
as the best in class (the Yamaha springs to mind
again), and DTS recordings lack the more solid,
three dimensional, structured quality that this
superior format can usually be relied on to provide
– for example with Finding Nemo which has both
formats on the disc. It is still good, and after all
this is not an expensive receiver so something has
to give. But in many ways it behaves like a decent
stereo amplifier that does home cinema rather
than the other way around." - I don`t how to understand it.

In another tests, WHAT VIDEO AND WIDESCREEN TV:
WHAT’S GOOD
Hi-fi like warmth and naturalness; ideal for stereo
buffs moving to multi-channel; excellent dialogue
WHAT’S BAD
A bit basic for the money; home cinema fans may
not like that much hi-fi sound; not good for
DVD-Audio/SACD

And my Question is to all NAD owners should I trust in their opinion or Just go ahead with NAD and enjoy the Home Cinema.

P.S.
I realy don`t want to be disappointed after I buy A/V Receiver, bring it home and turn on.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2609
From a former T763 owner....keep shopping.

Anonymous

You can get the Outlaw 1070 for about the same price as the NAD T753. You won't be disappointed.

Post Number: 4
I`m rather focused on NAD Receivers.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4780
From a former T773 owner I would say the same thing. But if you are set on getting NAD, the reviews you've been perusing is no longer relevant. I say have a go at it and just enjoy it. Forget the reviews and forget our views, get the unit and build your own conclusions. If you are focused on NAD go for it. Being disappointed after buying equipment is a chance that you will have to take, and you'll always wonder what could have been if you don't at least try.

Good luck with your decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 23
I am a current T763 owner and love it for both home theater and 2 channel. I would say the greatest advantage NAD has over brands like Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo is that it sounds so much better in 2 channel.

I also think my T763 sounds better in 5.1 with all formats than the Denon 2802 I used to own.

I agree with Berny though. The best thing to do is let your own ears be the final factor in which unit you decide to buy.

Good luck mrdiablin and let us know what you decide.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2619
I certainly agree with LT that the NAD T763 sounds better in stereo than many other mid priced receivers. It was the hum/hiss that drove me to another product. Only heard it in analog mode. Whether it be multi channel audio where it was just horrible to stereo where it was just obvious I couldn't get past it. I am fortunate enough to have an NAD C162 pre amp and Hafler power amp to do the stereo duties in my system so I bought an inexpensive AVR to take care of my movie needs. Point being if you are going to rely on the receiver to do everything then you may want to consider whether you can handle the hum/hiss issue which is as yet unsolved. If you decide that you can't then I would consider the Outlaw AVR.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaussner

Post Number: 16
Comparing the NAD T763 to a Denon 2802 should be lopsided, that is a lower end Denon and next to the best NAD receiver. I am not going to argue what sounds better as that should be left up to the listener along with what other capabilities are desired.

You people are entitled to your own opinions, the fact of the matter is that people can get a modest system that does what they need and have it sound very good. Maybe not according to audiophile standards where the NTH degree comes into play. I understand the differences in sound and yet I can hear modestly priced systems that sound good when set up proper in a reasonable setting. In a lot of situations the amount you have to spend versus the increase in performance is not worth it in my opinion especially if you are trying to stick to a budget. I think a lot of people are influenced by people on forums in the direction of higher priced equipment because of peoples opinions. If I had the money I would definitely have separates but I don!t. Anyone buying NAD is taking a chance, although there might be some who have not had problems there are many more that have and I have even been told at stores that sell Nad that being I am concerned about problems I should not buy one because they are known to have issues.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 405
I agree with you totally Bubba. I have heard the complete NAD AVR line at a dealer which I heard no hum/hiss issues with the stock that this particular dealer had but a product of this supposed quality and price should not suffer any noise issues, hell I've had $150 Japanese brand stereo receivers that had a dead silent noise floor. This type of noise issues are completely unaccepatable in an AV receiver really of just about any make or price range.

Bronze Member
Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 27
It wasn't just the 2802 Bubba. I have listened to higher end Denon's and they didn't sound any better.

I object to your comment that anyone buying a NAD is taking a chance. It seems like alot of people on here who have never owned or used a NAD in thier homes seem to think they are experts on the NAD euipment and like to tell people how prevelant the hum issue is.

Well I have owned and used both NAD and denon in my home and it's my opinion that NAD makes a superior product. I own a NAD T763 and have no hum or hissing. I have also owned two Denon's a 2802 and a 3805 and neither of them had quality control issues but neither of them could come close to the sound of most NAD recievers.

As far as price goes Denon can get pretty expensive too Bubba. Thier top of the line reciever goes for $6000. All I can say is that if I had $6000 to spend on components I would,t waste it on anything by Denon.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaussner

Post Number: 17
Lord Thistlewick

I have had other stores that sell NAD say the same thing about issues with them. I have also talked to an authorized service center about them when I was foolish enough to consider one of them and what they told me is the reason I don!t own one.

By the way, what is your job at NAD?

Anonymous

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/37/t/000090.html

Nuff said!

Post Number: 5
Ok, I`ve become a happy NAD T-753 software ver. 2 owner :-).
Looks very beautifully and perfectly to me and it sound briliant.

But I hear hum(bzzzz) from my speakers when the sound is turned off, strange it should not happen.
My front speakers is Acoustic Energy Aelite Two
My cables is Real Cable BM 250,direction and connection is correct
My DVD is Pioneer DVD454 connected to Receiver by Profigold PGD4000.
Maybe someone give me an advice what should I do to eliminate this hum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4802
I don't you'll ever get rid of the hum/hiss from the NAD. I agree that it sounds terrific, I just cannot get rid of that blasted noise.

By the way a friend of mine who bought my T773 decided that he cannot live with the noise as well. He gave me back the T773 and proceeded to get the Outlaw 1070. He will receive the unit next week. I'm still the owner of a NAD 773:-) I'll probably just give it to my kid when he goes off to college.

Post Number: 6
Maybe this hum is a result of working fans

Gold Member

Post Number: 4805
Fans???? I don't think so. The noise is coming from the speakers and not the unit, I thought the same thing...I mean 5 fans cannot be that quiet. I haven't even heard them turn on.

The fans are usually a lot rowdier than that...screaming and carrying on having fainting spells and all:-)

Post Number: 7
No, I mean from electricity point of view, maybe fans are bad isolated from other parts of electronics. I know that hum is coming from speakers .

Gold Member

Post Number: 4807
It could very well be, but I went through 4 different units before I settled with the last one having the least amount of hiss. I take it then that you can tolerate the hum?

Username: Allen

Post Number: 9
I have a T752, the predecessor and it sounds great with my Dyns 52. I heard a hiss but not a hum.Maybe you are right Diablin, the fans on the 753 are always on unlike on the 752 which automatically turns on when the receiver really gets hot.The fan is a coil that may create noise and don't know if it enters the filter circuitry.

Post Number: 8
Ok, I`ve looked up once again with this hum and everything is ok. Sound is perfect, superb, great and this receiver just like in SNAP song:"It has a Power". I was watching Blade part 1 and sound effects was great to me.

Keith Mann
Unregistered guest
My T752, which is a couple of years old, has had a few nasty points:

1) A bad fan circuit -- an known issue which was fixed under warranty.
2) Likes to have plenty of ventilation, which is only a problem if you like glass doors on your cabinet to prevent, say, your two-year-old from mashing the buttons
3) Annoying lock-ups when switching sources or surround modes, which can be cured, usually, by muting then unmuting the receiver

1) and 2) are fine with me, 3) is annoying but I can live with it. However...

4) Recently, developed a nasty hum. My gut tells me it's interference on the power line, so I'm experimenting with other devices on the circuit to try to track down the source. If it turns out to be the receiver itself I'll be going shopping.

Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 9
Hi, I read a post where John A (I think it was him) fixed his humming T760 by replacing a power supply capacitor. The first production used a cap that wasn't rated to a high enough temperature, and when it eventually went bad he got a real nasty hum. So if you had temperature probs...

Username: Maghamir

Post Number: 8
I bought my T753 3 months ago and I have tried to hear the famous hiss/hum! But I can't and my ears are very sensetive. This reciver is excellent for music my only complain is that I whish I had the money to buy the T773. I use it 100% for music stereo and SACD and DVD-Audio.

Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 2
I just went through 2 T743s, both with hiss (one worse than the other). Hum was evident on Dolby 2.0 recordings (most of the "kid stuff" is in this format). The seller said I was looking for problems... but after 15 years with a 7240PE I couldn't accept these "features"!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5933
Of course not, and you really shouldn't have to. But some do get lucky, however, luck shouldn't be a factor when making a NAD purchase.

Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 5
My guess is some people are OK with the hiss, and don't stumble across enough DD 2.0 recordings to notice the hum. Upon accepting my 2nd return of a T743, the dealer said that $1500 is required for an A/V receiver of comparable sound quality to a $500 integrated. That said, I'll stick with analog 2 channel and go to the movies when I want surround. (although -- if true, that points to the Arcam AVR250 rather than the NAD T773).

My love affair with the 7240PE has led to:
- The C520, a difficult CD player to enjoy fully
- The C540, with skipping problems and disk read errors (but big improvement over the C520!)
- The C730 receiver, a wimp in wimp's clothing (went back to the 7240)
- The C320BEE, mild mannered and detail-oriented... like an accountant. A snoozer. (went back to the 7240)
- The T743, with poor D/A and hiss/hum problems. The analogs on my el-cheapo Sony sounded better than the 743's DAC. (went back to the 7240!)

I do like my C521BEE, however.... its a hold-over until I find something better (Arcam CD73??) I may be done with NAD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5954
Have you looked at Outlaw Audio? They are my new favorites that replaced my NAD T773.

Bronze Member
Username: Maghamir

Post Number: 12
I bought a T753 a few months back. I wanted to buy the T763 but it was too expensive, now I wish I had bought the 63 instead just because it has more power. I am very happy with the quality of this receiver; when it comes to music, it is superb compare to Yamaha, Denon and even Marantz. It is very close to Arcam which I have also auditioned. I use it 99% for listening to music. AS I said I have no problem with it no hissing no humming nothing what so ever. I have Totem Arro speakers and they are very demanding nad whne I turn the volume up over -20 db the receiver clips. The receiver does a decent job for films and this is from my limited experience in viewing ,music concert DVDs. Arcam is better at this but then again you pay for it. I hope that I have helped.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 709
I have had a T753 for two years now and have yet to hear any hiss, or hum. They drive my Dynaudios beautifully, whether for two channel stereo or 5.1 soundtrack material. I have been extremely satisfied, especially in light of my bad experience with a Denon 3803 receiver.

Username: Bensun

Post Number: 1
Help!
One friend (B&W 603+Yamaha receiver) complained my NAD T753 + Paradigm studio 40 as not open sounding, like the sound is covered by some cloths.
Then my wife swear that Pioneer DV-588A-S sounds better with CD/SACD/DVD-Audio than my newly acquired Denon 2910 with my T753 and paradigms.

My feeling is that my friend's comment has some merits (Though I think his is toward the bright side). As for my wife, I feel Denon is smoother, a bit laid back than Pioneer.

I have to convince my wife so that I can keep the Denon.

I listen to only two channel music. No sub. The speaker is version 2.

Please advice.

Username: Bensun

Post Number: 2
Anything you recommend that I can improve the sound?
I user monster speaker cables and regular RCA interconnects for SACD/CD/DA-A

Bronze Member
Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 12
hello, I have a funny story to share with you all. This guy I recently started dating came over last week, took one look at my Panasonic sa-xr55 (thanks again edster) and said, "Ha! Wait until you hear my T753, that's a REAL receiver." When I told him how much it cost he was just rolling on the floor laughing at me, and to be honest I was a little embarassed too.

Then the next day he shocked me by actually lugging that 40 pound monster over to my place, hooked it up to my Polks and CD player with a snort...and guess what? Two hours later he could not stop shaking his head and picking his jaw off the floor at how much BETTER the Panasonic sounded to him! Personally I thought the two receivers sounded pretty much the same except for the hissing thing, but this time he was the embarassed party and boy was he ever. Never knew he could turn so red so quick and for so long.

Nice guy though. Said he'd be selling his NAD soon to get a Panasonic, and would split the profit with me! I love a man who is man enough to admit it when he's wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1784
Bullshite!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1791
Eddie, you and Diana oughtta have a date, not to sound one handed...
ya know?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3736
hmm, I've always liked Latin women. Or is Vargas your married name Diana?

LOL my mizziz'd kill me.

In any case, Diana's experience with the Panny is hardly unusual---something you'd be well aware of if you ever ventured out of this backwater and scoped out the rest of the online audio boards once in a while, Nuck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 53
just when u thought it was a dead thread ... :-)

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1803
I hang out here because I've already proven myself a moron, its hard to convince people at audioholics.
I be at the hideout as well, reading and wishing mostly, Ed. Import costs are horrid!

Same old jest with me and Ed, Jeff.
Second verse same as the first.

Funny how Ed and Diana show up at the same time.
Like how you never see Micheal and Janet Jackson together. Hmmm...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3739
> Funny how Ed and Diana show up at the same time.

Yeah since she hasn't been around for a couple of weeks, and I have...gee whiz that must make us the same person just because we both like the Panny eh?

LOL Nuck you should go work for FEMA, they're fresh out of brilliant minds.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2878
Diana didn't have an experience with Panny if you'll remember. She stated "Personally I thought the two receivers sounded pretty much the same except for the hissing thing". It was her tin eared friend who had the epiphany.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1806
Remember, as well, that Diana showed up looking for an inexpensive receiver and Eddie was all over it.
Diana dismissed othr recommendations and picked up quickly on the Panny suggestion.

I put forth that Ed and Diana are one and the same, sleuthing happily here, more Colombo than CSI.

It matters not a whit, as the listeners enjoyment involves neither me nor the lamppost.

It's all good.

Really.
Anyone's imaginary friend is a friend o' mine.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1807
Sorry Ed, what is a FEMA?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2879
Tis all good indeed!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7209
Federal Emergency Management Agency

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1828
Oh must be something in your country.
Here we just call it Welfare.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1830
Or #8217;t

Bronze Member
Username: Diana_vargas

Post Number: 16
my goodness, "Nuck" must be short for KNUCKLE-HEAD! Or maybe it's just short for "Alzheimer's Disease"-related memory loss?

Re-read the original thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/183314.html

On the recommendation of people here, I ordered a Harmon kardon as well as the Panny and had my son bring over his Denon 2805 for a 3-way comparison.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 892
"Remember, as well, that Diana showed up looking for an inexpensive receiver and Eddie was all over it.
Diana dismissed othr recommendations and picked up quickly on the Panny suggestion"

Already covered Diana, Edster's alter-ego self product endorsement scheme has been cultivating for months now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3740
LOL I think Kano and Nuck are the same person, they are both snobbish, hearing-impaired and dyslexic Pannyphobes so ergo...

Wow, and to think they've been cooking this up for all this time!!!

Art, do you truly exist, or are you just part of this evil analog-hugging Canadian TRINITY OF ONE???

ROTFL...

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 97
Been away for a bit and I'm very surprised to read this thread.. I've had my NAD T752 for 3 years now and all I can say is this is the most musical, smooth yet acutate receivers I've ever heard.. I've never heard the hiss or hum sounds being reported here, sure it's not from your source or a ground problem in your systems? I do use it for HT also but 90% is for music and it's a perfect match with my Paradigm Studio 20V3s, Rocket UFW-10 sub & Music Hall 25(modded) player.. There is absolutely no hum or hiss, the background is black..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2884
Eddie, you must've missed the time when I owned the class A/B/D Outlaw monoblock. I liked it. Not all amps of any sort are created equal. Hope all's been goin' well for you. We don't see ya much anymore.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1854
Snobbish?!
I may be lame, stupid, ugly, old, over/under weight, or useless, Ed.
But never, ever consider me snobbish!

By the way, Eddie, how can someone be a part of a Trinity(group) of a singular!

I have not often been accused of being illiterate either.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1855
And I talked to Art today. He was having breakfast with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
Nice chap, that Claus.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3741
hi Art,

> Eddie, you must've missed the time when I owned the class A/B/D Outlaw monoblock.

whoa, I guess I did miss that. When did that happen? I thought you were running a Yammie 657 with a Hafler amp in your main system all this time and have been changing out only your CDP?

yeah I have been very busy lately and also have been posting more on the AVS Forum---it has a lot more participants with very diverse views and backgrounds, plus I'm contemplating getting a DVR to put all my VHS and music cassette tapes onto DVDs so been reading up a lot on that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3742
> By the way, Eddie, how can someone be a part of a Trinity(group) of a singular!

You must've been napping during Catholic doctrine day, lol.

> I have not often been accused of being illiterate either.

Well go back and reread the original thread that Diana reposted and you'll see why. I suppose a kinder spin would be that you are simply memory-impaired. Lay off on that glue sniffing, m'boy! lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2888
Hi Eddie,

The last piece I bought while I was still running HT was that Outlaw monoblock for the center channel. It worked very well and had the intended effect of cleaning up the dialogue a bit. If you check my profile you'll see that I have gone to 2 channel exclusively with a tube amp. The difference is phenomenal. I have become the ultimate analog 2 channel dinosaur and am quite proud of it. I've never owned a system that came close to sounding this good before. The Prima Luna tube amp is a revelation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3744
wow. Well I have never heard a tube amp and wouldn't mind checking one out sometime just out of curiousity. They certainly look very intriguing, though $1450 for the Prima Luna would be instant grounds for divorce in my household, heh.

So does this mean you've sold off the Hafler and the rest of your speakers? What about the Hsu sub?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2891
All gone Eddie. I sold all of the extraneous gear and am living happily ever after. BTW I bought the PPL 2 with the phono section for an extra $159.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 443
Come on Art, you won't be living happily ever after - not until you've upgraded again or purchased more additions. You might be happy now or think you are, but that old voice in your head will be back and will start on again with its nag, nag nag, until you submit and get that wallet out, give Mrs Kyle that wink as she stares at you with that 'told you so' twinkle in her eye and you promise her the next house reno project or a nice holiday, then, all of sudden, you have the next component that just blows everything away and then you will live happily ever after until the voice . . .

:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2892
I will undoubtedly upgrade again. What I really meant is that I've found the technology that sounds like music to me. Yes I will have better speakers and perhaps even a better amp sometime in the future, but for the first time in many moons I'm thinking more about music than gear. That's how it should be I think. MR, you should give this tube stuff a try it's amazing! :-).

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 444
"MR, you should give this tube stuff a try it's amazing!"

Art - don't need to. I've discovered Mr Sheen.

:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 97
Spend your money wisely.

Buy an ARCAM receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3746
Art,

I can't help wondering...how'd all this go over with the wife? I imagine she probably misses the surround sound during movies?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2894
I miss all of the noise with action movies but we are considering converting the garage into a HT sometime down the road. My wife is quite happy with it. She's pleased that I seem contented with the system (for once). She's right! I'm not considering any new audio purchases anytime in the near future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3747
cool. I guess you could always use your Marantz for the HT room, just get cheap easy-to-drive speakers like the Athena B1s.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2896
What Marantz? It's gone. Like I said, it's all gone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3748
yikes, I thought you were keeping the Marantz for your bedroom system.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2898
I have a Cambridge CD740 in the bedroom with a Magnum Dynalab FM antenna. It's all I need. Simplicity is beautiful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3749
How do you like it? I often hear people recommending those CSW table radios as an alternative to the Bose Wave. I'm intrigued by the built-in subwoofer, too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2899
They've been directly compared the wave radio and blew it away (big surprise eh). It's actually a very good flexible bedroom radio with very good sound, all things considered. We actually have two of them, with the other one in the kitchen. It's sort of my wife's system at present as she uses it to play music while she stretches in the morning.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3750
TWO of them? LOL, I should come burglarize your home.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2904
Be good now Eddie! LOL!!! Isn't there the death penalty in Texas for cattle rustlers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us