Boston?

Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 1
I was looking around at some Boston Acoustics stuff and they dont look to bad on paper.

The only chances I've ever had to hear them were their smaller models, and never any of their flagship floorstanders. I liked what I heard, but what do u guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 971
BA have some outstanding products.

Are you thinking whole new or a pair of fronts?

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 972
I was in a shop in Montreal awile ago, and they had Bostons, Linn. and Wilson, along with Psb and a single Totem, arrow(built in Montreal).

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 973
And the Boston setup they had was 2 full fooms.
Well represented, and a nice shop.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 91
I own a pair of VR2s, and to be honest, not very impressed, to me they sound real thin, and lack ability to soundstage, they are paired with a denon reciever in my basement game/tv kid room, and to be honest, my sons sony dreamsystem in his bedroom sounds better. They do play louder, but really lack any depth, probably would sound a bit better with a better reciever, or dedicated amp, but I wont put that money into them, as they dont seem to be built well either. very light, almost fragile build to them.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 770
We Davids have to stick together on this one.

I listened to the VR 50s and 60s and VR1s, I can't remember if I heard the VR2s. Anyway, I liked the BAs and I considered going that direction because I already had BA surrounds.

But, I ordered the Ascend CBM 170s and I got a very similar sound, which when filled in with a decent sub, exceeded what I heard from the BAs and it was a much cheaper solution. (The BA VR 50s were more than double the price of the Ascends 170s per pair. Now, the BAs are a much better looking speaker, especially in the cherry cabinets, BUT that wasn't the reason for me to upgrade so I went with the better sounding speakers.)

BTW, the BA VR1s were about $1200/pair as I recall and they had more bass and not as good in the midrange and treble as the VR 50s and 60s IMHO BUT the bass just did not do anything for me as I felt it was weak and a little muddy so I agree with David Pannell on this one.

As a suggestion, I'd take a listen to the Ascends, the Paradigm Studio series (the 20s and 40s in this price range), and AlegriaAudios' speakers, the Lings or Emmas and buy a decent sub to go with any of the above and I think you'll be happier camper, again IMHO, BUT you need to go and hear them for yourself. Good Luck, Dave
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us