Can I "warm" my M22ti's with different speaker wire?

Felbaum
Unregistered guest
Loved these at first, but they are starting to wear on me. Can I warm the sound from my NAD Bee with a change in cables or do I have to add a sub to flesh it out? Any cheap sub recommendations if that is the way to go?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 643
Neither will "warm" up the sound coming out of the speaker. The sub should give you more depth in terms of the frequencies you get from the amp, but it will not change what comes out of the speaker.

I have the M3ti and they are a bit bright, but I bought it because I have a Marantz receiver which can be considered warm. I am pretty pleased with the output.

Do you have the ability to test another amp/receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4790
Yup, change the speakers or replace the NAD. No cable (magic and what not) will change the brightness you hear from your Axioms.

Username: Mrbeefy

Post Number: 8
I've noticed NADs to be a bit bright. If the speakers are bright also that could be very fatigueing... Time for a change

Post Number: 9
Actually I know exactly what you mean... I have a set of JMLab Cobalt 816s, and they are very bright; I have them jacked inta a High-Fidality A300.

I'm lookin at switching both out come fall '06

Felbaum
Unregistered guest
So, NAD is considered bright???

I thought they were considered to be more of a neutral amp. If NAD is bright, can anyone recommend a decent "bang-for-buck" warmer sounding amp?

Felbaum
Unregistered guest
Pady,

Tell me more about the 816s models. Are they bright, or just lacking bass definition?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 834
NAD is bright? When did this happen? I've owned NAD integrateds for the last 15 or so years and never thought "bright" for a second. I'd characterize my 320BEE as on the warmer side of neutral.

Felbaum -
I haven't heard Axioms before, but everything I've read says they are a bright speaker that leads to listener fatigue. I've used PSB speakers with my NAD integrateds. They have a great synergy (both are owned by the same parent company - Lenbrook). Paradigms have a similar sound. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about listener fatigue with either of these combinations. My current set up is a 320BEE and PSB Image T55. I find it very musical and smooth. I've listened to it for hours at a time and have never gotten tired of it.

A lot of people like B&W with NAD as well. I'm not a fan of their 600 series. The 320BEE will most likely struggle with speakers higher up in their line.

Post Number: 10
Hmmm...I could be wrong about the Nad being bright; I've only ever heard two or three at local dealers.

The 816s have plenty of low end, and at first are very intrigueing, they really draw you in with their wide open sound. They do have titanium tweeters, which is probably why they are so bright at times. JMLab uses all Focal drivers, so keep that in mind.

The Cobalt 816s have a very good sound, but be careful as after awhile you may realize it's not your cup of tea. I believe the spec sheet on them though; 43 Hz... they get there.

They image very well, I think. It's just they may be too open thats eating me up.

Daniel34
Unregistered guest
You are wrong for sure ;-) NAD amps. are definitely not bright. Your speakers could be though, but NAD is the right amp. to "offset" this speaker brightness.

Could be your source, and some interconnect will ad a touch of brightness as well. What CD player do you have??

Try replacing one thing at the time, if you have a chance to borrow diff. CDP or interconnects, you'll find out what's bright in your system quickly, IMO that's what you want to do before you ditch the speakers. But you can rule NAD out for sure ;-)

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 600
NAD's are NOT bright!!!! I owned the AXIOM M60's before and THEY are the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
No, it's my speakers that are bright. I have an Arcam FMJ CD player, and I remember it with my A300 being bright. I'm thinkin' of switchin' to a Tube w/ AR 3a De Cappos.

Bronze Member
Username: T2t

Post Number: 12
Sell off the speakers. There's no taming the Axiom tweeter - that is, unless, you want to modify the crossover or switch out tweeters.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us