Polk vs. Energy vs. Kef

Username: Rangamo

Post Number: 1
I have been told of all these brands and currently own polk Rti 8, the older version, not current. I am looking to spend from $1000-$1600 Cdn. on two tower speakers from these or any other good brands. I've heard from many people the Polk is great but I am not sure. Also, I will be using a polk center channel and rear speakers along with the newly purchased towers. I have a fairly decent yamaha reciever with component and optical inputs. I haven't much experience with this sort of thing, so any help would be appreciated. I also do not have the access to listen to all of these speakers although I will try. I would also like to know what cone materials are worth buying and wether they make much difference in sound quality. If anyone out there knows anything about biwiring, I'v heard of it, but have no clue what it is or how to do it. Any suggestions as to which brand and which models would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 807
First there is only one Rti8 the previous version of the speaker was the Rti70s and previous to that the Rti800s.

Why are you trading out the Rti8s? Are they performing badly?

I wouldn't recommend pairing Polk centre and surround speakers to Energy, KEF would match slightly better but I wouldn't do it. Are you also considering trading out the Polk surround and centre if you went with Energy?

I own the Rti8s and find them very good - they perform well across the board with only few moments where they fail to impress.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1122
rangamo,

If you are going to stick with the Polk centres and rears you should stick with the same brand as the main speakers. This is because a single manufacturer tends to make speakers that have a similar presentation generally speaking. It's unwise to mix and match since the chances of the presentations being different are quite high, rendering an obviously artificial soundscape.

On the other hand, if you're looking to move away from Polk for whatever reason, then the main speakers would be the place to start, followed by centre and finally rears. If this is the case, have a look at Totem Acoustics who are a Canadian speaker manufacturer par excellence.

Regards,
Frank.

Anonymous

I was looking at some similar speakers on the used market,I really liked proac speakers,they were asking$1200/pr model 125 proac.401-461-5480 was the shop.I would consider these a good step up from polk ive heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us