Sheilded speaker wire...will it stop HAMM radio interference through surround sound??

scottaz
Unregistered guest
My neighbor has a HAMM radio and when he talks on it, with his amp cranked, sometimes it is not up high and I can still hear him, I can hear him through my stereo receiver, the center speaker only . I have grounded my receiver, put a filter and chokes on the speaker wire. Will shielded speaker wire fix this problem or what? If so, can I get away with just rewiring the center speaker or do I have to rewire the entire system? Any suggestions on what to do? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 88
Used to rehearse at a buddies house, and his neighbor was broadcasting too, and it came throught his guitar amp, he was able to minimize it by using different outlets, I dont know if that will work, or if its even possible in your setup, but worth a try.

scottaz
Unregistered guest
The problem is that the way the room is designed there is no way to rearrange things. The back of the receiver faces directly opposite of the HAMM radio amp of the neighbor. I have read on the amateur radio sites that some receiver manufacturers make a plate for the back of the receiver....ever heard of that? Or, do I have to rewire? Or turn into FCC, or...?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7097

You have entered the Twilight Zone. This is an almost impossible situation to solve and should be done at the operator's end to have the best chance of success. The likelyhood the interference is coming in at the speaker wires is minimal. You can try using some shielded interconenct cable that you should be able to buy in bulk at most electronics shops; but I wouldn't hold my breath that will fix anything. The problem on your end is probably in your receiver (since it is only on the center channel) and there is no easy way to change that without voiding your warranty or altering the external shielding to your amplifier. Have you tried (though I don't truly suspect it will help) a high end AC filter such as a Panamax?

Approach your neighbor with the problem and see if there is any possibility of the operator doing what is needed to shield his system. If there seems to be no advance on the operartor's part, then you will have to decide what you want to do regarding the FCC.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 961
Rod Serling checking in, You might try shielded cable at will, if you get it cheep.(it's cheep) to try.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1123
Shielded speaker cable is very unlikely to fix the problem since it is almost impossible for speaker cable to pass back a signal that gets amplified back. What's most likely happening is one of two things:

1. The interconnect(s) between the DVD player and receiver is picking up the relatively faint signal from the radio and this is getting carried into the receiver to be amplified. You may like to try to shield the interconnect with ferrite rings or go with a fibre optic interconnect to get around the problem.

2. The mains cable of the receiver (or one of your other sources, but not likely the DVD player) is acting as the aerial and sending the signal through the receiver that way. If so, you could try ferrite rings around the mains cable to stop the RFI.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7100

You did not mention whether this is a problem that occurs when you are using any or all inputs or only one specific input such as DVD or tuner. Some help there might be beneficial to tracing where the signal is entering the system.

scottaz
Unregistered guest
It does not matter if I am watching tv(satellite), a dvd, or listening to a cd, it is whenever I use the a/v receiver. If I turn it off, sound quality through the tv sucks, there is no interference. This is the same for any other tv in the house. The one in teh living room is the only one with the a/v receiver. Thanks

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1128
You need to identify which source is acting as your aerial. Unplug each source in turn until the radio frequency interference (RFI) vanishes. If you unplug everything and it's still there, then the aerial is likely to be the power cable of the AV receiver and you should try ferrite rings.

You may need your neighbour's cooperation to conduct these tests.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1129
BTW, when I say unplug, I mean disconnect the interconnect not physically unplug...

scottaz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advise. This 'issue' with the interference has been going on since we moved here. I have gone over to his house and discussed the interference MANY times and he is silent for a few days to a week and then, he is blasting through the house again. I sat with him, cell phone in hand talking to my wife at the house, and had him 'transmit' to see what the highest output he could transmit until she heard the noise. I thought the problem was solved then...but no. He installed a taller tower and we are back at the beginning. We even worked out a time of day schedule....does not work. He's a very nice guy, except that the HAM radio is very frustrating. I have done all the things mentioned on my end, I am checking on the ferrite rings, but what, if anything, is his responsibility? Does anyone know or know of a place where I can find out. I am trying to work with my neighbor, not create problems. I did not spend the money that I did on my system to have it turned off for his convenience.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1131
This is a very difficult issue. He has the right to use his HAM radio and you have the right not to have to listen to him. So there is no right and wrong here, just working out the problem. Strictly speaking, provided his equipment is setup correctly, (which is likely since he's just had the mast put up), your system should reject RFI - there are laws that govern this. However, the interconnects and mains cables (main culprits) have a tendency to act as aerials and pick up RFI. This travels into the next component in the chain which is usually the receiver which faithfully amplifies the signal for you.

If you type RFI Rejection into google you'll find a lot on the subject.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 92
Hes only allowed to broadcast at a certain strengh though, Jan got it right when suggesting FCC, if he wont cooperate, a well directed hint to him about this may be enough.

scottaz
Unregistered guest
Have thought of that MANY times. Am trying to keep peace. Question....is it possible for me to hear him turn on his system....I have been hearing a humming noise, the one that when something is turned on and you hear it through tv....It is right before I hear him on the radio...the only thing on has been fridge, but it did not turn on at that time...curious...or am I really in the 'twilight zone'?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7119

If you share a common utility feed with your neighbor, you could experience the noise from his system coming through your components. In some cases this would indicate a problem the uitility company should address.

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 93
sounds to me like your the only one trying to keep peace, he obviously doesnt care that hes invading your space with his broadcasts. Nor does it seem he is willing to broadcast at certain hours like you mentioned earlier, you may be left with no alternative but FCC, unless you dont mind "background noise" whenever he decides. My buddy actually cut the wire to the antenna on more than one occasion, and decided a threat about FCC was only option. It worked for a while, then resumed, so alas, another threat. He got lucky, and FCC was already informed about him by another upset neighbor, and was shut down, after that he moved. My point? You will need to stop being peacemaker, and get a little agressive, or just accept it. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us