New System for 3500?

DaveWantsSound
Unregistered guest
I'd love to enter the world of audiophile audio but with a budget. I was thinking of getting a full 5.1 home theater system. I've listented to Klipsch RF-35's, Paradigm Monitor 7's, Definitive BP 10 B's at local stores. I'm even beginning to think of getting some Aperions. I'm hoping to use a Denon 3805, Pioneer VSX-74TXVi, or Yamaha RX-V 1600. I can almost hear no difference between any of these speakers. I'd love to hear some recommendations. I'm going to be using these speakers for mainly music and karaoke but I want great surround peformance.
Thanks.

Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 10
I own a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's Dave and I use a NAD T763 to power them. I had a Denon 2802 before that and thought the Denon sounded lousy with them. My advice to you would be to listen to some NAD and Arcam recievers before you buy a Denon or Yamaha.

I'm not a big fan of Klipsch. They're a little too bright for my tastes. You might want to consider PSB. They make some good speakers at reasonable prices.

You say you want audiophile equipment. You're not going to find this in stores like BestBuy, Circuit City or Tweeter. Despite the fact that people on here go on and on about how good Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Marantz are they're not audiophilebrands. They are what I'd refer to as "Jap crap."

I understand you're on a budget but it might be worth your while to put something on layaway, spend a little more, and take a little longer to complete your system. This way you'd have some quality sstuff that will last you a long time if taken care of.

Forget the Denon, Yamaha junk try looking into some of these brands

NAD
Sunfire
Arcam
B & K
Cary Audio
Anthem
Rotel

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 946
Thick, your asian reference to quality is extremely offesive, an apology or adjustment might be in order to our Japanese and Japanese American allies of the strongest order.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 947
Make fun of Canadians, we don't care much, so long as we are not visible minorities.
Everybody else does.

Psb. Totem. Anthem.Paradigm. etc.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 626
Thistlewick based on your comment above I'm not sure which topic your are most ignorant of: Hi-fi equipment, globalization or national/racial sensitivity. Foremost if you think any of those latter products you mentioned do not use parts and software developed by "jap" technology, you must be drinking something strong at your local white superamist group. Second if you think that something in a nationality makes them incapable of making good audio equipment, you must be reading something equally thick from that same group.

I think you can retract your comment in the way offered by Nuck and get on with simple ignorance of audio equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 627
As to your question Dave, I can vouch for Paradigm, Aperion and Denon. I'm not too sure of that specific Klipsch model and I would not recommend Definitive.

As for a sub, I would highly recommend an HSU. Especially since it is made by a Korean.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2584
LT, I like the brands you put forward. In fact I've owned AVR's by Rotel and NAD, both hummed and hissed their way out of my life. I now own an inexpensive Yamaha which I use as a source component for multichannel applications. Here's how it works:

I use the AVR as yet another source component hooked up to the video or aux on your pre and to power the center and rears. Leave the AVR off completely when listening to 2 channel. I go from the L/R front pre outs on the AVR to the video in on my NAD C162 pre. The C162 pre has 2 sets of pre outs. I use 1 set to go to the power amp and the other to go to the sub that I use for 2 channel and another sub connected to the LFE of the AVR. I have to set the pre amp volume control to a set mark when I calibrate the home theater and return it to that setting every time I listen to it. It's key to remember to turn it back down before returning to 2 channel use or you can blow your fronts. It's a bit of pain but well worth it to me for better 2 channel and multichannel performance.

I now also use an Outlaw M-Block power amp for the center channel.

It's unfortunate that you resorted to the type of language that you did to make your point about Japanese audio gear. I hope you really aren't that ignorant. Please follow Nuck and Stof's advice.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 222
Hey Art... Outlaw 200 or the newer 2200? How are you liking it? I haven't decided if I'm going to add 2 2200s or some 2-channel amp when I bump my basement theater to 7.1.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 464
LT,

You aren't going to fing audiophile brands at Tweeter?

Than what do you classify B&K, Vienna Acoustics, MartinLogan, Mirage (omni series), and Sonus Faber as? You might want to do some research before you post.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 465
LT,

You aren't going to fing audiophile brands at Tweeter?

Than what do you classify B&K, Vienna Acoustics, MartinLogan, Mirage (OM series), and Sonus Faber as? You might want to do some research before you post.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 466
sorry for the double post... meant to correct omni to OM, and it was too late
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us