Tinkle tinkle...BOOM BOOM

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 461
What speakers have you guys heard that best fits the "boom and "sizzle" crowd?

DCM
KLH
older JBL
CV

can anyone think of any others? There HAS to be some so called "high end" brands that are voiced this way.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7083

Depending on what they are paired with, many of the Thiels fit this description. While they are most clearly not in the league of a JBL L-100, they have, as a whole, a rising frequency response that is constantly the source of admonitions about system balance whenever they are reviewed. Though the lower octaves are less inclined to overstatement, there has been the tendency in Jim Thiel's work to exagerate the obvious.

While I've not heard the Triangle line of products in ages, they would also appear to have a voicing that might best be described as high end bar room.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 462
I agree... that is why I am really not sure if I would ever own a pair of Thiels, even though I enjoyed how they sounded in the limited time I have spent in a showroom with them. They still remain on my list however because I havent ruled them out.

I have never heard a triangle speaker, so I really can't judge them myself.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2582
Hmm I'm not so sure about that Jan. The last time I heard the Triangles they had a very mellow sound. I was using Cairn electronics and the sound was delightful. They sounded British with a little burnish if you will. I was comparing them with PSB and Monitor Audio Speakers and they clearly bested those too. Perhaps it was the combination of French speakers and electronics that worked. I'm sorry but I'm a bit lazy (just got home from work and all) to look up the exact models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us