Am I a Maggiesexual?

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 11
Was I born this way, or is it just a phase? I feel like I'm on the verge of coming out. But I don't really know if I should trust these new feelings.

It all started when I picked up some MMG's last week. I'm in love and I don't care who knows it.

Piano, upright bass, string quartets, brass instruments, and especially the human voice, sound absolutely spectacular. (Even though they make some of my (bad) recordings--e.g. most of my punk rock collection--sound pretty flat and thin.)

Please tell all. Have you ever had Maggie love? Did it keep you satisfied? Or is this just a phase?

Feel free to talk me out of this. I'll gladly go box speaker straight. If you'll only help me sort out my confusion. Please tell all.

Who's had a Maggie encounter? Is it just a phase? Or is it a lifestyle?

Anonymous

what are you running them with?

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 12
Anonymous: I thinks its totally okay that you are anonymous. If you're not okay with going public with your Maggie curiosity that's just fine with me.

I'm running them with an old NAD C370. It feels like a great match to me. Like a serious bargain, given I've paid about $1100 for the amp and speakers and then hooked up a NAD 320BEE that I got for a buck fifty.

Anonymous

good, I thought you were using the panny that eddie is always raving about.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 13
Sorry. It's not the 320BEE but the C521BEE CD player that is hooked up to the amp and speakers. I blame my state of confusion.

Vanessa Del Rio
Unregistered guest
Mark,

You know I like to roll both ways.

Smootches
(.) (.)

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 14
Vanessa,

Now you've got me even more confused. By "both ways" I assume you like the bi-directional planar experience, but you also, on occaision, like the conventional box type of experience.

Don't you feel like you have to commit to one way or the other?

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 170
what in God's name are you crack heads talking about?

Whitney Houston
Unregistered guest
CRACK IS WHACK!

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 33
Eric: Jan wrote a review with a fair amount of alliteration and now the current "thing" is to anthropomorphise your speakers into women. Watch now as people are taking their speakers out on walks. They are now "seductive" and "silky" etc... People can now have flings with their speakers... I will leave my opinion on this to be inferred...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2592
I used the word seductive to describe Maggies before I ever heard of Jan.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 128
How speakers be seductive without a decent pair of cones Art?

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 19
Sorry this thread got hi-jacked by a couple of loonies.

Michael, my point is not to imitate "the current thing."

Rather, there is such a unique sound to these things, it almost questions the whole orientation of your ears. Get it?

I wanted to ask you vets what I am hearing. And, even though it was couched in a silly metaphor, my more specific question is a serious one. Frankly, will this sound continue to satisfy me, or is it "just a phase?"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Sorry, cannot help you there, I just don't hear "it". As to the metaphor's Mark, I was trying to be general, but obviously this is your thread so you feel it was directed at you. There are many examples of this current "fling" (read bandwagon) and while it is easy to argue one word (ie "seductive") there are FAR too many adjectives being flung around recently that have no concrete (read objective) basis in describing sound. Its like when people try to tell me my beer is "crisp". F Off and die, my beer is not crisp. It is wet, sometimes (preferably) cold (but cooler than body temp will do in a pinch). It can be malty, it can be low in carbs, it can be stale, etc. My speakers can be loud, clear, have specific resistance etc, but they are not "s.e.n.s.u.a.l", and they day they become so, I imagine my wife will make me get rid of them... /rant.

I hope you keep on enjoying your speakers, and if I may be so bold as to suggest you not wait around here too long for someone else to tell you what to think of them. You obviously enjoy them, so be happy in that, it should be enough. Say someone else did like them for a spell then moved on? So what? This does not have to be your scenario too, but it will be much more likely if you start listening to what other people tell you WILL happen.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 985
The beer comparo ain't bad, Michael.
Your approach to the subject is a new one Mark.

Now, lets say you are tasked to describing the color'blue' to a blind man, or the smell of popcorn to someone with no olifactory senses.

Now thats hard.

The sound of the maggies won't change, although your perception may.
Be sure that your perception is not altered by others opinions.
Or blue popcorn.

Bronze Member

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 21
Thanks Nuck and Michael. I think there's a huge distinction between being swayed by the opinions of others and gathering information from those who have experience and expertise that I don't have.

I appreciate these forums because I don't feel at home in our local brick and mortar stores and I often don't trust the marketing mechanisms that feed into "professional" equipment reviews.

In the past couple of years I have ordered some gear based, just a little tiny bit, on what I have read in forums such as these.

Gear I ordered sent back because I decided I did not like it:

Axiom M22ti's
Panny 55
Harman Kardon HK435

Gear I bought and kept (partly based on information gathered from boards like this) because I love the way it sounds:

Paradigm Studio 40's
NAD C370 Integrated Amp
NAD C521BEE

So, here I am really enjoying these new Maggies and hey, just for the fun of it, I thought I'd toss this question out there. They certainly sound much different that the Paradigms in my main system. I was simply seeking the wisdom of others who have owned Maggies in the past. I don't think that's such an odd request for a forum like this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Fair enough, enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us