Wiring confusion

Bronze Member
Username: Chomperoni

Post Number: 11
My electrician ran speaker wires for my home theatre using 10 guage two wire.
I have hooked up my speakers succesfully using the wire and it sounds good, however, my sub needs a plug in type to connect. Can I hook up my sub using these wires if I put a plug on them or did he run the wrong wire for the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 698
Typically in a HT setup the sub is feed via a low level signal cable (coaxial) from the subwoofer out of the surround processor or HT receiver. You can connect the high level outputs (speaker out) to the high level inputs of the sub amp and then connect the speakers to the high level outs on the sub amp but this is less than optimal. The best thing to do at this point is run a coaxial cable from the subwoofer out jack on the back of your reciever directly to the sub and do your best to manage the wire.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7070

If you only have "speaker wire" to work with, you can run the cable to the high level inputs of a subwoofer. Assuming your sub provides this option, you will make the run from the speaker outputs to your subwoofer and then from the sub to your speakers. (In some cases, you might prefer running a parallel line from the speaker outputs to both the sub and the main front speakers. This lets the front speakers run full range which is an option some people prefer and others do not.) This connection from the main speaker outputs eliminates the controls your receiver provides for setting levels and crossover point. This adjustment is all done at the subwoofer when you use the high level inputs of the subwoofer. There is certainly nothing wrong with this option and, in some cases, it might actually work more efficiently than using the coarser (usually 10Hz increments) crossover settings that most receivers provide.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us