Amps for powered speakers

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 821
I recently began designing and building my own speakers and people around the dorm have been really impressed an interested in buying some to get better sound out of their computers with. All these people have 1 thing in common, no way to power them. Does anyone have any idea on a relatively cheap solution for this problem? I was thinking it would be nice to find something in the 20-50 watt range that could go inside the speakers. I've seen some in the 100W range that cost $100-200, but this will probably put the speakers out of the price range of most people who are interested. Any thoughts?

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 832
please, anyone have any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4668
What is it about your own speakers that have them impressed?

It seems to me that they are impressed with your particular set-up. Are your speakers powered? Now if you sell them speakers that are not the same as yours, would you think they would still be impressed?

If they like your particlar set-up, sell them the same thing. Not something that you have put together to try and solve their "problem set-up" for cheap. They already have a market for cheap computer speakers and if they want a better sound, they have to spend more money.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 833
They're much much better than what other people have hooked up to their computers. They also look nice, they're made of birch plywood. I can make a pair with around $150 in parts right now, and people have approached me about buying a pair, but I'm powering mine with a 10 year old receiver I inheirited.

People don't know what to do with passive speakers. This is truly the bose soundock generation I'm dealing with. They don't want external amplifiers and wires. I'm not looking for a cheap, crappy solution, just a way to make powered speakers for a price that people will pay. It seems like there should a decent amp I could incorporate into these speakers, I just don't know where to look. I don't have my heart set on this though, if I could find a decent 2 channel external amp to power them I'd go for that too.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4677
check out some of these;

http://www.partsexpress.com/

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/specials.htm

hope you find what you are looking for.

A Clemence
Unregistered guest
50W RMS should be fine, or it is for my dad with 15" woofers in a three way system... just a kit amp from a local electronics store would be fine if you can solder but personally I'd build my own amps... currently in the process of using a schematic for a 300W amp to design a PCB for it... but if you look at the price of decent power transistors then you'll realise that the only decent cheap amp would be a second hand one still working... imo.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 898
making the amp from scratch wasn't something that had crossed my mind but I'll definately look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us