Replace Yamaha CR-840 or get a NAD,or ???

Unregistered guest
I have a Yamaha CR 840 . Love the warm sound. I've listened to a Yamaha RX 777 (OK), NAD C720BEE (VG), Rotel(VG).Need a phono input
I have an ADS L710 and L810. Is an old Marantz a better choice or something else???

Thanks BB

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7057

If the Yamaha is still working, there is not much need to replace it unless you are looking for more inputs or features. Keep in mind Yamaha no longer supports those receivers with parts should it ever need service. At that time you would probably want to buy something new instead of trying to repair a 20+ year old receiver. It should still produce quite decent sound though it can be bettered by some of today's better components above a budget price range. How you feel about a change is largely a function of just how you use the receiver and what particular qualities of sound you listen for. You could certainly use the Yamaha as a phono section to an amplifier that lacked that facility if you decide to make a switch out. If you are referring to old tube based Marantz, yes, it is much better than your Yamaha. It is also quite expensive. The Marantz that came after the tube gear in the 1970-80's is less likely to have better sound quality than the Yamaha you now on. Current Marantz is a good product and you should listen to a Marantz before making any decisions about swapping one for the other. If you are really considering a new amplifier, I would suggest you look into a product by a true specialty company such as Rega.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us