Alegria Audio EMMAS (Edster's turn)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3486
hi Tim,

I have been listening to them for about a day and a half now, just had a few questions:

1. Is the midwoof also full-range like on the Lings? If not, where is the crossover set?

2. What made you chose the planar tweeter over the supertweeter you were using on the Lings?

I'm trying to decide which one I like better. Definitely love the 6" midwoof over the Lings' 4.5" one...fun to watch it move during musical peaks at high volumes, yep "1 inch strokes" sounds about right!

3. Why is the rear port set off closer to one side, rather than being horizontally centered like on the Lings?

I have only been listening to it on my NAD system in the bedroom, will move it upstairs to the Panny setup soon for a direct comparison to the Ascends.
The bedroom is less demanding accoustically, a 15x25 rectangle, with the speakers angled outward from one of the corners.

If I feel really motivated I might move the NAD separates back upstairs too, which will provide another angle on the comparisons. On the other hand it would probably be much easier to move the 10lb. Panny downstairs, LOL. Want to hear how the Emmas fill out my 6000 cubic foot space upstairs though, esp. with the prodigious bass response.

So far, I have been much impressed. Like the Lings the Emmas are beautiful speakers to look at.
They came well-packed and double-boxed.

Sonically, my initial impression is that they offer much a bigger soundstage and greater detail than the Lings. The trade-off is that they do not seem to be quite as warm as the Lings at their best.

Have been listening to mostly jazz and female vocals on them so far, will have to try some classical and rock soon.

More in the coming days...

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 39
All I can say is that after listening to the Emmas every bookshelf speaker I listen to sounds like half a speaker...the full-range sound of the Emmas is just so impressive considering the size of the package.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 688
Hi guys. Still in SE Asia for a few more days. Got some great fireworks.
Anyway.....
Emma is a completely different speaker than the Lings with completely different design goals and a comparison with the Lings is apples and oranges.
1. The XBL^2 powered mid-woof is reasonably flat to 5kHz, however, it proved best to crossover at about 3kHz. This provided the best FR, the best impedance and the best dispersion.
2. I was looking for a reasonbly priced tweeter that offered similar performance to the much more expensive dome tweeters. I didn't see the point in creating another 6" woof, 1" tweet design that would sell for $900. Planars are very interesting to listen to as well and the 3" version has excellent vertical and horizontal dispersion.
3. While I wanted deep bass response I also wanted quality bass. Additionally, when you ask a driver to produce deep bass it's become quite a challenge to keep the mids clear. This lead me to reduce the cabinet size, giving up a few Hz of LF response, to gain tighter bass and cleaner mids. Off setting the port gave me back some of the LF response. Air pressure inside the cabinet is highest at the corners so port loading increases at this point. The challenge is to keep air velocity and air turbulence of the port as low as possible which is why I choose the extremely flared port tube. That 1" stroke moves a lot of air! This was something not really needed for the Lings. I'm not the first to do this. If you look around you may find one or two other standmount designs that use offset ports as well.
FR measurements show no significant dips or peaks across the spectrum. The nature of planars is for them to initially sound bright. Also, due to the relatively low crossover point horizontal dispersion is very good. I found them more enjoyable to listen to with little or no toe in but this can be room dependent as well.
Thanks Raj!
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1354
Eddie where is Jans review at?I cant find it anywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3503
Me neither, I've been looking forward to it for a few weeks now. I think he's still polishing it.

Or maybe he doesn't want any of us on the Emma list to plagiarize his observations too much? : )

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7052

Patience, Grasshopper. Patience.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 889
When you can snatch the penny fron Jan's cold dead dusty wallet, will you be ready.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3504
Nuck you are falling into Dylan-esque levels of cryptic babbling now...

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 892
It's quality, Ed...wait for jan
btw, the song writing is coming along...beware

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 692
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/186180.html

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 896
I cannot even read as well as Jan writes.

I hope you enjoy the review, Tim, your product has been done no disservice at all.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 897
Ed, I hope you won't go over the top with the writing style, but we need summore feedback from your Emma listening!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7055

ed - Did you find the CD I sent along with Emma?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 355
THIS IS NOT A HIJACK!

However, if anyone wants to know what kind of value Tim is offering with his Alegria line, consider this RAW FR speaker from Raw Accoustics' for $499

http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrnch2/id50.html

and compare it to Tim's $269 Ling Single

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm

The RAW FR is front ported, the Ling Single is rear ported, other than that they're pretty much the same. Tim must be using magic elves to do what he does and turn a profit. Keep up the magic Tim.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3507
Jan,

yep but have not had a chance to listen yet. Last few days have been very busy and last night my father was re-admitted to the hospital again, so the coming week will probably be very complicated and hectic again.

Hopefully I will get a chance to really sit down with Emma by the middle of the coming week...

Don't know if I can even begin to approach Jan's poetic ways with the 'ole gal though! : )

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 695
Sorry to hear about your father Edster. It's unfortunate when the holiday season is complicated further by health issues. Don't feel rushed to send the speakers on. I'm sure everyone will understand.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 696
BTW, I appreciate Jan's review very much. When you read between the lines you get a very accurate picture of what Emma is about.

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 40
Yes, with all the crazy metaphors sometimes it was tough to tell it was a speaker review ;).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3513
Thanks Tim, I appreciate that. Just want to make sure I give Emma her due, which should be much easier to do a few days from now (knock on wood).

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 906
Best wishes for your Dad, Ed

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 220
Edster, best wishes to your father. While we vociferously disagree on a number of audio-related things, some things are far more important. It is just a hobby after all.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2554
Ditto Ziggy and Nuck. Hopefully all will be fine Eddie. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 359
Best wishes Edster, ruff time of year to be going through this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3519
Thanks guys, am playing it day by day at this point but appreciate your thoughts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us