Amp for PSB B25

Username: Nike

Post Number: 1
Have just got new PSB Image B25 bookshelf speakers for my Yamaha RX-V496 but it sounds too dull and not satisfying at all. I am using a philips dvd player as source. For a decent stereo sound, should I change the amp or the source? what gear would be better.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 17
i have those same speakers. GREAT CHOICE
i have a cambridge AZUR 540A and think it sounds
great highly recommended.

good luck!

Post Number: 2
thanks mitchell

I have seen lot of ppl from this forum are NAD fans...Would C320BEE be a option too.
Does the source matter...or i can pull for somedays with the philips dvd player before i buy a NAD or marantz cdp

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 18
i really dont know tons about audio.but i dont think you can go wrong with NAD or CAMBRIDGE.
however i do know you have smokin speakers.

good luck with your choice let us know what you decide.
check out the reviews on cambridge stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 881
Nike, Nad and Psb have had a longstanding partnership under the same company for quite a while.

Certainly not exclusive and the Cambridge is competant for these smaller speakers.

I do know from experience that Psb speakers are not smooth and steady as far as impedance, they can wander quite far from the stated nominal.

That said, your two choices should have no problems.

The next one in line would be Rotel but I cant figgur how your Yamaha would sound dull.
The CDP may be lacking, but how dull is the sound?

The speakers might, might be underpowered, but more power is a poor solution to the source.

Can you try other CDP's on a trial basis, like borrow a friends unit?

Interested to know how you make out.

Peace.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 887
Nike and Mitchell, I looked a little further into the psb B25's, and yeah, I might need another pair of fronts for upstairs!
Where did you guys buy them?

Prices?

Post Number: 3
Mitchell - tried connecting a Marantz CD6000SE, the sound improves but can't compare it with the one I auditioned the B25 with. (i am talking abt NAD52i CDP with 520BEE) Thats the reason i thought the amp to be the weak link.

but how dull is the sound?
Well, dull means i feel like there is one more grill on the speakers. (i listen to speakers without grills, still...)

Post Number: 4
Hi All,

I got settled with a NAD 521i CDP and 320BEE Amp..quiet happy with my purchase.

Thanks to all who posted and all the help.

M. Albert
Unregistered guest
Could the source CD player have made THAT much of a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

New York City, New York

Post Number: 886
Their should be a big difference between a Phillips DVD player and NAD dedicated cd player. However, the source player wasn't the only change to the system - he went from a Yamaha receiver and Phillips DVD player to a NAD integrated amp and CD player.

M. Albert
Unregistered guest
Sorry I didn't read that correctly the first time. Even still, I had no idea that the DVD/CD combo could be that lacking in sound quality, as compared to a straight CD player.

So, the PSB's are a pretty good bookshelf speaker for the money?

M. Albert
Unregistered guest
Sorry I didn't read that correctly the first time. Even still, I had no idea that the DVD/CD combo could be that lacking in sound quality, as compared to a straight CD player.

So, the PSB's are a pretty good bookshelf speaker for the money?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

New York City, New York

Post Number: 888
At that price, they're my personal favorite. Then again I'm a little biased. I've owned a few different PSB's for the last 15 or so years.

All things being equal, very few DVD players can match the sound quality of a dedicated cd player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us