Novice: Major buy/major questions

Username: Crashburn

Post Number: 1
Ok Im going to throw this out here. Im new to all this with regards to home audio systems. I have seriously been thinking and have been extensively been doing my homework on getting a pair of new Speakers and putting together a nice system for both Music and movies. Right now Im using a make shift little bookshelf system but it's definitely not doing me justice and fulfilling my needs. Music doesn't sound any better after you've heard it on a better system!

Granted im not aiming to spend a fortune, that's just not my style or in my finances presently. Although an upgrade is definitely in need to Open up a New World for my growing music collection and DVD's. I don't mind spending for a great deal and most importantly the quality. Which leads me to my speaker choice of Athena. I have heard they are great for both Music and HT. Im pretty sold on these speakers just by reading reviews by several sites. I have also recently just finished hearing & demoing these at Future Shop and a pair of JBL at another store, huge difference IMO. Problem is I don't have a lot of time to make this decision, so it's gotta be quick. The Athena f2's are only on sale till January 2nd and it goes back to it's original price (Here in Canada) at $799 when I can get them for $499 while on sale (Boxing Day week). Im fairly sure I want these puppies, and from what I read, these would be best bang for my buck, even at the original price!

The questions I pose to you guys...
I really need some help with specific receivers that are a good match with these Athena speakers. That's my next purchase after the speakers.
I keep hearing from people over the Internet, that Athena F2's don't match well with mostly Yamaha, while they go decent with H/K's, Denon, Marantz. What type of model(s)?? The instore help didn't help at a local store nearby advising that Yamaha is good for both and he recommends them even after I told him that I keep hearing Yammies aren't rated good with Athena type speakers.
Im really in the dark here. Im not looking to spend over a grand on a receiver but maybe pump close to 500 if not a little more into it. If im going to end up buying these Athena's (It's going to be pretty hard to convince me not) than I want them to work up to their capability or pretty damn close.

This system will be worked on over time so im not going to jump the gun with maybe the exception of the Athena's due to the sale price currently. With the right homework and help from this board Im confident & excited about the possibilities.

Im a regular here now.

I will definitley be taking into consideration the input I receive here. So you just may have significant impact on which way I go with my system. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the time & help.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 605
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on pairing a receiver with the Athena's. If you can get a refurbished lower end denon or a HK that should be good.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3483
I'd get the best Marantz or HK you can afford, the F2s do need some high quality current to sound their best.

Check into Harman Audio on eBay for some great deals on refurb HKs with full original HK warranty. Don't know how shipping/duties works with Canadian customers though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us