One amp or two?

elcapin3
Unregistered guest
Is it better to have a seperate amp for my component speakers and a mono amp for my sub or can I just get one powerful multichannel amp and save some money?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1117
Different solutions entail different compromises. In theory it's better to have separate amps and processor. You get better separation, less crosstalk, lower noise in the processor. However, if you have all the parts built into the one chassis, you have much shorter signal paths, less variation due to interconnect changes, one unified earth rather than the various earths of the separates solution.

In theory, if you hook up all the separates to a good power supply close enough to each other to guarantee the same earth potential, and use appropriate interconnects, you should be better off, but it's not a given for the reasons I give above. There is also the budget question. If you spend the same money on the separates solution as you have for the all-in-one amp, you have paid for several casings, several boxes, several lots of marketing. With only one unit, you've made savings in this regard, which you have spent on the innards. Now, if a low budget is in order, the boxes/marketing are a significant proportion of your cost. If this is a big budget, they're not.

So not quite as clear cut as you'd hope...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 749
If you have a passive subwoofer, it is better to have a separate amp for it, as subwoofers (in general) need a lot of power to perform their best, and your system speakers perform better without having to share their power supply. That is why it is best to buy a self-powered subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 878
Elcapin, I use seperate power for the subs.

Mind, though, I use fairly cheap subs, and the receiver was simply deemed unnecessary with a new purchase.

I like having the options of an old receiver available, though most of the options are not necessary for bass only.

The sub-out from H/K avr55 works well with the gain from an old technics receiver.

So, no, I dont use the best subs available, but the adjustability lets me tune in the bass quite well.

John Munch
Unregistered guest
I have to agree with Gregory Stern, good advice. I myself personally use a self-powered.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us