Wiring a Center Speaker with only two inputs

Unregistered guest
Hello, my receiver (Pioneer) has only left/right positive/negative speaker outputs for the front speaker output. How do I optimally connect a center speaker that only has one negative and one positive inputs?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7038

If your amplifier has no inherent provision to output sound to a center speaker, why would you wish to do so? A center speaker is not a necessity. If you use a center speaker however, you should have the circuitry to make it work properly. You can put "dynaquad" into a search engine and find a way to connect a pseudo center speaker output that is derived from the two main speaker outputs in a stereo conficuration. This involves a common ground connection of both left and right channels together and not all amplifiers will tolerate such a connection. I would suggest not using a center speaker unless you are certain your amplifier can handle the Dyna circuit and you can make the proper connections and assemble the proper circuit which involves an L-pad for level set. Other than that, the best way to connect a center speaker is to have an amplifier with provisions for such a speaker.

sandbug
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the information! I am trying to use my well serving receiver to make a home theater audio set-up. Now, I have more information after pulling the manual out. I have a Pioneer VSX-5400. It does have a RCA type jack for a center speaker, but requires a "monaural amplifier" before the center speaker. I have searched Radioshack, ebay, and pricescan with no luck finding a product for this use under "Monaural amplifier". Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7039

Buy either a two or three channel amplifier and run the center speaker off only one channel. A solid state amplifier will not be hurt by being power up with no signal input and no speaker connected. If you use a three channel amp, you'll be able to run rear surrounds, if your receiver also allows outputs for that option. Running a two channel amp would allow you to run two small bookshelf speakers as a center channel instead of a typical one box center.

Username: Ravie

Queens, NY USA

Post Number: 1
My front and rear speakers for surround sound has a wire already attached and can not be detach from the speakers.The other end has a split to connect to amp.I'm confuse how to hook it to the amp one wire has a white stripe on it and the other end is solid black.Which do i connect for positive and negative.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 984
Ravie, use a 9v battery.
apply the wires to the pads of the battery and watch the woofer.
Positive polarity will extend the driver, negative will retract.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us