Does anyone know anything about ADS or what I can pair them with in a 5.1/7.1?

Username: Kidziti

Post Number: 4
I have a pair of M9's that I bought new back in the early 90's - these are acoustic suspension 3-way speakers with fabric dome tweeter and midrange, and a butyl-surround 8" woofer, all in a solid walnut cabinet (they are shaped eerily like the late twin towers of the trade center in NYC). They were built in Germany jointly by ADS and Braun (yes, the coffee maker company).

Technically, all I know for sure is that they are 4 ohm. They sound fantastic - not boomy but great definition in the mid-bass, and the highs and mids are about as sweet and clear as I've heard. The technical info I had on these was lost in a flood. They will become part of a 5.1 (or 7.1) system which I am building over the next couple of months - currently all I have is the Denon 3806 with old CD and DVD players. I welcome any suggestions on rest of the speaker setup, or any other info on these speakers (other owners out there?)

Username: Kidziti

Post Number: 5
From the little I've been able to get over the internet, it seems that the second generation M series (so called Mx/90, where x=9, 12 or 15) resolved a problem with the woofer coil being to small, resulting in some amps shutting off. The M-series before the /90s were modified by ADS when customers notified them about the problem. The ones I own are indeed M9/90 speakers.

I'm still interested in any literature/experience/thoughts about these speakers, or maybe something along the lines of "if you liked ADS, then check out this brand ...."

Anonymous

There is a user called Rusin who owns A/D/S speakers and had good luck with Cambridge Soundworks; of note, a chunk of CSW's lead designer's employment history was with A/D/S.

Rusin
Unregistered guest
I own the ADS M-12's and am quite pleased. Compared to the M-9's, they have an extra 8" woofer and taller cabinets. I am attaching a link to an ADS discussion on the Audio Karma web site, it has more information on the ADS line than I have seen anywhere. Check especially the posts from Soundmotor - seems to know his ADS. Hope this helps:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44406&highlight=ads+speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us