NAD C272 User

Bronze Member
Username: Eddietfman

Hong Kong

Post Number: 21
Hi there all NAD C272 users,

I am using a NAD C352 integrated amp to drive my ELAC FS109.2 3-way floor standing speakers. It seems the C352 is not powerful enough to drive the ELAC FS109.2 well, especially the bass is not as punchy and deep as it should be. I am thinking to add a NAD C272 to make a C352/C272 combo. The C352 will work as pre-amp only while the power amp section will leave to the C272. I believe this combo will work better than the C352 does alone, but no ideas how significant the improvement is. My local NAD agent does not stock the C272 so I won't have a chance to audition this power amp until I have purchased and received it in my possession. So I am seeking comments and experiences from you folks all.

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 26
Hello Eddie,
I'm not familiar with your speakers, but I am familiar with both the C352 & C272. The C272 will produce a sound similar to the C352 but with more capacity to drive more demanding speakers (150w per channel). My experience indicates that the C272 provides better/fuller bass with more sonic impact. When comparing side-by-side you can hear the bass with the C352, but you can "feel" it with the C272. So if you like the sound caracteristics of the C352, and 150w are adequate to drive your speakers, I think you will not be disappointed with the C272. It's allways better to audition first if you can, but from what you described as your goal, I would be comfortable ordering the C272. Another option would be to trade-in or sell the C352 and purchase the C162 pre-amp/C272 combo. Either way you should be happy with the outcome. Good luck,
Bill

Bronze Member
Username: Eddietfman

Hong Kong

Post Number: 22
Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your advice. I've heard that the C272 is demanding a good pre-amp to pair with, such as the C162 and etc.. Is it true? Or it is actually an agreeable power amp working well with every pre-amp, even if the pre-amp from an AV receiver?

Eddie

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 28
Hi Eddie,
I've never paired the C272 with anything other than the C162, but I would be curious how it does with other pre-amps as well. My guess would be that you would want a quality pre-amp, one at least as good as the C162. There is no harm in trying out another one if you have one on hand and see what you think. If you are going to purchase a pre-amp, I would definitly test it with the C272 first. My guess would be that the C162 would probably be the best match in that price range. Athough you could certainly get a better one for more money. But then you would probably want an amp in the same class too! Trust me, there is no end to it as far as how much money you can sink into this. I have listened to more expensive amps in the $1000.-$3000. range. You certainly can get more detail and clarity, but I found in the ones I auditioned, they tended to be bright and a bit fatiguing. None were able to provide the full-bodied sound and sonic impact in the low end that the C272 did. They were all very good amps, but for me were less pleasant to listen to for long periods. They were however, superior in other areas so it boils down to personal preference. I'm sure there are many people who prefer the claity and detail over listenability and possibly musicality. I personnaly would love to hear a good tube pre-amp hooked up to the C272. Best of luck,
Bill
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us