Totally Green And Ignorant Newbie Question

Username: Kingofcopycom

Lutz, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hey there,

I'd like some advice but be forewarned! I'm going to ask you some basic newbie stuff, and my knowledge base here is close to "zero".

I LOVE listening to music, but just like the guy who loves to go on long drives, but doesn't know anything more about cars other than how to turn the key to start the engine... I know nothing about stereo "stuff".

I Listen to mostly rock and blues -- with prominent guitar sounds.

Last year, bought my first subwoofer and fell in love with music once again.

Just stepped up my CD player to the Music Hall CD 25.2 and was astounded at the kind of sound improvement it made, even over my decade-old Polk Audio speakers.

Now inspired to upgrade my whole system.

So here's the $64,000 Dollar question:

Do I buy a "traditional" receiver, or do I buy an "amp" and a receiver?

And if so, or if not, where do I start looking for amps/receivers, and recommendations.

I know there will be pundits on both sides of the coin, and I'm open to listening, but I also don't have time to waste on stuff that won't benefit me for my specific use.

I DO have an extensive album collection, but mostly listen to CD's (which I know may be heresy to some).

Anyway, thanks for your patience and thanks for reading this message.

Happy Holidays, Craig (http://www.kingofcopy.com)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4546
Budget?

Bronze Member
Username: The13thgryphon

Spokane, WA USA

Post Number: 11
There are some very nice integrated amps out there... from very inexpensive to outrageous. Something along those lines would probably be my recommendation. I'd stay away from receivers if you want the best sound qualify for your dollar. However, like Berny said, what's your budget?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7004

Where'd you buy the Music Hall? Are you uncomfortable going back and asking their advice? We have no idea what products are avaialable for audition in your area and I would think anyone on this forum would suggest you listen to a piece of equipment before you make a purchase.

Username: Kingofcopycom

Lutz, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Great feedback.

I'd say my total budget for both would be around $700 bucks, but thinking this through, I'd probably get more bang for my buck plopping $500 bucks into an integrated receiver, no?

Keep 'em coning and happy holidays!

Thanks, Craig

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 815
Craig, you will never go wrong with a Harmon Kardon receiver.
For 700bucks, you can get a kick-butt unit, espicially this time of year.
The H/K might offer advantages that you don't need right now, but may well need in the future.

Check them out

Daniel34
Unregistered guest
"I LOVE listening to music, but just like the guy who loves to go on long drives..."

Craig, if music is your priority and your budget doesn't increase 3x at least, I'd forget the receivers and go for integrated amp. The difference you'll get even with half decent source is incredible....speaking from experience, but again just my two cents.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us