Wiring speakers

Unregistered guest
Hi there folks. Just a wee question for ya.
I bought a friend and his girlfriend an all in one Home Cinema system for their flat as a joint Christmas present. It's not too bad, but the front speakers aren't very powerful. He has a pair of decent speakers that he uses for his CD player, and we're hoping to attach them to the HC kit instead of the ones supplied. The good speakers accept the normal bare wire (+ve and -ve) as an input, but the small speakers are connected via 3.5mm jacks.
This basically means that I'll need to somehow convert a 3.5mm jack to + and - bare wires in order to attach the better speakers.
Does anybody know how to go about doing this (I'm going on the assumption that the 3.5mm jacks run into 2 core cables. If there are more than 2 cores, I'll be lost!), and if so, could it potentially damage either the amp or speakers?
I'd appreciate any help, as the standard speakers sound like mice in a tin can.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6976

Take the wire you have and cut the end off the cable. Strip the ends and you have bare wire. Yes, this could damage the speakers if the amplifier is able to deliver enough clean power into the load they present.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6977

Also, it's very possible that the amplifier was designed to produce sound quality no better than the speakers which were provided. You might want to reconsider this option.

Sylvi
Unregistered guest
Know absolutely nothing about subject so please help me!!!
I had two speakers connected to my TV which gave good stereo sound. Now have new Hitachi LCD TV which does not have inbuilt amplifier therefore speakers will not work. I don't want to purchase amplifier as I'm pushed for space so wonder if wire-less speakers with transmitter will be OK instead? Also, would they give me stereo sound on both TV and DVD?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us