Affordable tube system?!?!

Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 1
I'll try to keep this brief. I've been in the market for a new system and was almost decided on a Rotel stack and B&W 703s and sub for around $7.5K total.

Then I heard a tube amp and LOVED THE SOUND. Problem was it was tiny and drove only tiny speakers.

But, I'm decided, and I now want a tube system - either an integrated amp or pre and power amps, AND preferably AV capable - unless this is just silly/not doable. In which case I'll figure something else out.

So.. my total budget for the amp components would be about $3K, I think. I realize that powerful SET amps are expensive and that more sensitive speakers would reduce the pure wattage requirements - I really love the 703s but might even consider other speakers to make this work.

My specific questions:

1) For speakers like the 703s (eff. 90db), what wattage ("tube wattage") do I need to get it "pretty darn loud"? 8? 30? More?! (I doubt it.)

2) Specific equipment recommendations? No, I have NOT yet done my research (obviously) but I will - but I would still love to hear opinions.

3) About getting AV capability out of this - let's say I buy a stereo integrated tube amp - what's the best/cheapest/most sensible way to integrate an AV pre/pro (which will certainly be solid state) in terms of switching?

4) As to above, will a SS pre/pro possibly sound lousy going through a tube amp? (I have/want only two channels (speakers) for movies too so no other amp is necessary/desired.)

Thanks in advace for the wisdom & experience here!

~Paul

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6967

Here's something that might help you decide what amount of wattage you will require; http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html. Keep in mind this is only a rough average based on the specs provided to you by the speaker maufacturer and the actual numbers can vary slightly.

Beyond that, though the information spans quite a bit of territory, I think you'll find answers and suggestions to most of your queries if you cruise through this thread; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/119397.html.

Start with those two and then let us know what else you have in mind.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 818
Paul -
I'm a bit confused on your A/V requirement. Do you only want a 2 channel system or are you looking for surround sound? You talk about A/V capable, yet later state you only have/want 2 channels. An A/V pre/pro would be for multichannel, not 2 channel. If you are hooking up a video source to a 2 channel pre-amp you don't need anything fancy. You could hook up a dvd player, tv, etc to any line level (non-phono) input regardless of what it's labeled.

You also mentioned a tube power amp and solid state pre-amp. You could go with a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. I think most people who are mixing tubes and solid state go this route. Generally it gives you tube sound and solid state power.

Their are a lot of hybrid (tube and solid state) integrated amps on the market. They almost always (I haven't seen any that don't) use tubes in the pre-amp section and solid state power amps. As with everything else, prices vary greatly. One that I'd really like to hear is the Unison Reasearch Unico for about $1400.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6969

I considered whether a processor would be needed when I posted and thought it a good idea if there are going to be 5.1 DVD's and HDTV incorporated into the system. The inclusion of a processor will allow more flexibility in downmixing the multichannel signals into a digital to analog format for a 2.0 or 2.1 system. While not a necessity if there are no plans for HDTV in the immediate future (your DVD player should allow for adequate downmixing [though not all players do a good job of this]) the addition of the processor would be a consideration at some point in time. The problem arises when considering tubes and digital signal processing for AV purposes as not much is available in the way of electronics and there is the strong chance of having to jerry rig a system to accomplish this feat. Such a system is described in the thread I provided.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6970

There is always the possibility of devoting the space for two systems. One would be the AV system and could be of whatever quality you desired. The second system would be the main music system and would have dedicated tube gear for listening without any additional fuss over how to make the system work properly and to get the maximum benefit from both systems.

Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 2
Sorry I wasn't clear on the AV - I want/need only 2 ch but still need a processor for decoding that 5.1 DVD audio into 2.1 sound. This is what I do now, with a Marantz pre/pro and two Paradigm Studio/Ones. I haven't the room for rears and don't miss them and see NO need for the center ch as the dialog comes STRAIGHT from the middle of the monitor to my ears...

One soln I like, as you guys have touched on, is a tube pre and SS power, coupled with a SS AV pre/pro for movies. So, I plug the input into the stereo (tube) preamp for music or the AV pre/pro for movies. Or have two separate inputs, to avoid the switching. This makes sense, I think!

Thanks for the replies. BTW - sometimes this site times out like crazy. Took me many tries to be able to see this thread this evening.

~Paul
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us