Need help with a separates system

Username: Smythen

Post Number: 1
OK -- I hope I dont get flamed for posting such a broad, desperate request, but:

I have about $6000 from a Xmas bonus that I would like to spend on a stereo-only (not multi-channel) system that would go into a "listening room" (read: bedroom) with no intentions of listening to anything but CDs. I am looking for a good recommendation on a setup that would include:

Speakers/Subwoofer
Amp
Preamp (?)
CD player
Cables/Wire

that would not surpass that budget, at least by much.

The room is 17x20 (carpet-floored) with cathedral ceilings and drywall around. I listen mainly to folk/rock and need good separation of all musical elements (vocals, etc) with the best dynamic range I can get and excellent dimensionality (word?) and modeling of sound.

I have found the entry to this hobby to be a very steep climb, in terms of understanding, and would like some help as to what I should compare/listen to to help narrow my choices. I sure dont trust those show-room retailers!!

Thank you, and all help is appreciated!!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1079
$6000 is a lot of cash and is coming into the quality end of the market. What you need to do is find a dealer in quality brands who can help you find the musical presentation that you prefer, and the system that fits into your budget. I know that 'showroom' dealers have a poor reputation (particularly in the US), but the good ones benefit from a lot of experience and can help you find the sound you're looking for. Try to find out who in your area does quality brands and if you can, get a recommendation. Those tend to be the better dealers. Try to find dealers who deal in brands which you're not aware of, or are aware of only in passing. These brands tend to be lower volume, more highly priced in nature but they often offer a quite different, more highly specified solution.

Here in the UK, the brands I'd be looking at in this price range would be a combination of (in no particular order) Arcam, AVI, Cyrus, Naim Audio, Linn, Dynaudio, B&W, Totem Acoustics, Musical Fidelity. In the US there are many more brands too.

If you find a dealer with any of the above, then pop in and come straight out with your budget or a bit below ($5k) and then see what he suggests as options. He should also offer to demonstrate the combinations in a dedicated demo room too. If this facility isn't available then he should let you try the combination at home (with appropriate collateral left behind at the shop obviously). Don't stick to just one dealer. try at least two in order to get different views and different experiences. Dealers have finite resources and try to stock brands that work together so if dealer A likes a particular presentation and dealer B likes a different presentation, you'll get the benefit of both.

regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 7
Thanks, Frank -- much appreciated. I dont see NAD, Bryston, or Rotel listed amongst your possible selections -- any reason? I am shooting for a warm-ish sound and will listen at moderate volumes, mainly folk/blues/rock.

Its tough in the Cleveland, Ohio area to audition much equipment -- for example, there are no Creek, Arcam or NAD dealers. Just going to have to do what I can with what Ive got, or travel to Chicago.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1084
I was aiming at the more esoteric brands that offer big differences in presentation, both physical and sonic.

Bryston certainly belongs in that group though I don't know if your budget will stretch to it. Others I didn't mention on your side of the pond some of whom may be within your remit would include McIntosh, Audio Research, Krell, Mark Levinson, Revel, Rogue Audio, conrad-johnson. Have a look for these brand names too. Some of them must have representation in Cleveland, even if it is in Ohio! :-) The American brands tend to be warmer and laid back than the British brands. The Brits tend to be a little more up-front.Of course, this isn't always the case. However, given that this is your opportunity to listen critically to different things, and you appear to have the interest, you should take advantage of it. Enjoy the odd few weekends looking into the subject, take your time and you'll build a more informed opinion before shelling out the cash.

...at least, that's my view...

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 8
I appreciate the input. I luckily found someone who demos and sells equipment out of his home, and represents quite a diverse array of (especially British) manufacturers. He is a music professor at Case Western and a longstanding audiophile, and I have made an appointment (one of a few, most likely) to audition some equipment.

I have read that Arcam (British) is actually quite warm compared to Rotel or NAD -- is this your experience too?

One more question -- I listen to a very broad cross-genre section of music, and will use the equipment for most of it, but especially folk/blues/rock. Are there any particulr CDs/pieces/tunes that you use to audition equipment that might tend to exhibit the differences better than others?

Thanks again!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
WOW!!

Just came back from my first good equipment audition, and all I can say is wow! I had auditioned Rotel with B&W 700 series, and Arcam equipment, but this arrangement makes me wanna buy -- looking for any suggestions, warnings, or alternatives:

Exposure 2010S Integrated
Exposure 2010 CD
Verity Taminos (or Fidelios if I can get them used)

Total cost with wires/cables: $8500. So far, I'm willing to make the extra step to get this quality. Any help, suggestions, etc?

Steve

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 747
Steve,

With the dollars you're talking about, you have quite a few options and you should explore a few more. I'd probably slow down and do some additional listening and research.

I'd also try the Anthem/Paradigm set-up - both Canadian - and they will offer very good soundstage and imaging with a nice, warm but fairly neutral sound. I'd start with the Paradigm Reference series (60s and 100s) and you'll be looking at around $3500-$4500 for a pre/pro and amp, depending on whether you want around 125 wpc or double that.

Also, I like the Arcam pre/pro and amps but haven't heard the Rotel but they're worth comparing these three which are in a similar price range and leave you a couple of grand for decent speakers and a sub.

I haven't heard any B & W speakers but they're generally rated pretty well. Same with the Epos and you may want to find Tawaun on the forum as he is fairly familiar with audio and choices in your neck of the woods.

Here's an Anthem dealer in Canton at:
AUDIO CORNER, INC.
4343 DRESSLER RD N.W.
CANTON, OH
330-493-5770

Good luck, Dave

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the advice, Dave! I actually heard the Arcam stuff in the same room as the Exposure gear, and there was no comparison (the Arcam was the DiVa 80 with CD 73) -- its true I have not heard the pre/power Arcam setup. The Exposure made a noticible difference. And I have heard the Rotel 1070 with 1090 pre through B&W 70Xs, and I still appreciate the exposure with verity better.

I appreciate the note of caution, however -- just need to slow down and keep listening. I am running out of dealers here in Cleveland, though -- will need to travel further!

But please, if anyone has heard or has opinions about the Verity Taminos or the Exposure Integrated, please let me know

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 816
If I were spending this much money, it would be almost a no-brainer - McIntosh. Great sound quality, build quality, and long term support. In 30 years, you could send your gear back to them and they would be able to bring it back up to original specs. How many other companies can claim that? I've heard the price to do that is very reasonable.

Bryston and SimAudio would be 2nd and 3rd on my list. They'd get a listen, but that's probably about it. Nothing is built or sounds like a McIntosh. Just my opinion anyway. The other brands mentioned are very good as well.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1100
Stephen

If you like the Exposure sound have a look out for Naim Audio. Naim make some very exciting stuff...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Frank -- how would you characterize the "Exposure sound?" And do you think Naim offers more bang for the buck? It seems that the Exposure integrated got excellent reviews!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us