Can sombody Please Help me with picking my system!

Username: Talent_scout

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
Ok I know you get this kind of question all the time, and I know that it is all about personal prefrence, but I am just looking for your opinion and it will be much appreciated!

Ok I have just finished school and am ready to buy my first stereo set up...I only have up to $2000C to spend, so after a little research I have come up with a system that fits my buget perfectly.

Yamaha AX-596 integrated amp-$600C
the new Energy C-500 Speakers-$750C
Energy S10.3 subwoofer-$500C

So all that and the components I come out to around $2000.

so what do you all think? is there something different you would do with $2000C

Thank You for your help!

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
oh yea I almost forgot, I some production work on Electronic music So I listen to alot of VERY VERY bass heavey music at VERY loud volumes. So I do need something that can handle it!

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 783
I'd drop the sub. It's a good sub but an HSU will give you better quality. You can order that on-line. It's not important to match speakers and sub. Also look at the SVS line, their cheapest - the PB10ISD comes out to around $700 after shipping, and cross border taxes etc.

Good pick on the speakers, they rock for HT. Make sure you hear them play loud hooked into that Yamaha. I've heard many aay the Yamaha line is quite neutral compared to previous years where they were known to be quite bright. If the highs are too much look at Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, and Marantz. The Marantz can be had for some decent prices depending where you look.

Check out this site for deals
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 26
I didnt see denon reciever listed either, or NHT speakers, or velodyne subs, and since you listen to alot of bass heavy music I personally disagree with kano about not getting sub, I think youll miss it if you dont get one. Or since your at a budget of 2000.00, maybe itd be better for you in the long run to spend the extra on a better speaker, and save up for the sub. what speaker lines are available to listen to up there at local dealer?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 677
HSU STU2 sub
Refurb H/K amp, best that fits after,
one(1) pair klipch bins.

Anonymous

Kano are you shilling for this Nuck character with that website link? Obviously!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 680
Anon, oh I am a character all right, bit of an odd Nuck.
If you keep posting as a stupid, annoying little troll, you should do so without mentioning my name where it is not associated.
Really.
Seriously.

Anonymous

Obviously?

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
the store that I am specifically talking about is not a hi-fi store so the other brands they carry for speakers are.
Paradigm
Axiom (the millenia m60ti towers are my second choice)
Energy
Polk Audio
JBL
Totem
Athena
Mirage

Thank you again for all your help. I haven't tested the Yamaha but heard good reviews but have heard the old C-5's for years and they seriously can boogie for the price!

any suggestions are welcomed

thank you

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3353
Darcy,

I'd look most closely at Paradigm, Athena, and Energy if you're after detail, and Totem if you are after warmth.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6876

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

Spend the money saved on a better amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3355
btw Jan, about how soon can we expect to see your review of the Emma?

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 27
I agree with edster about the paradigms also, but your going to have to compromise something with the budget you have stated, if you can look at recievers that allow you to add amplification later (pre outs) that would save you headaches in the future as you can upgrade as your wallet allows. IMO I wouldnt skimp on speaker quality to start system or you will continue to search for something you "really" like at much more expense due to being unhappy with choice at the get go. Like I said earlier due to the price range your at you will have to sacrafice something now, but dont let that hurt your options for later down the road. This is just my opinion, but I can tell you that I did start my system without good speakers, and found myself changing at least yearly at a loss each time. Now when I go to friends and families houses Im reminded how stupid I was to not get something I really liked right out of the gate because of (same as you) budget, but in reality it cost me at least 10times as much now. SO....I would spend 1500. on speakers, the rest on reciever(upgradeable power wise) and add more as funds allow. Good luck! P.S. half the fun is the listening and demo sessions anyway! But do listen to gear that you cant afford so you know what qualities you like, and find similarities in what you can afford. Dave

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 4
^^^ thank you for your comments, Well if I did step up to $1500C or $1200US what would you recommend. And people keep recommending the Paradigms, which speakers of theres in my price range to you recommend?

Thanks

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 5
remember I need a speaker that can handle load music with lots of bass!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 219
I'd swap out the Energy Sub ( I own one its in the closet unplugged). The Yamaha receiver doesnt quite have the horsies to drive Totem options optimally. ( AS far as Totem Speakers).

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 28
paradigm reference studio 60, sub later. or reference studio 40 sub now. Just my opinion, I think youll like the bass response with the 60s, and its a good speaker to build system around. A good friend of mine owns a pair, of the 60s, does have a sub(older velodyne, not sure which model, but is only a 10") and they sound great with all types of music, pretty solid in the mids too. Dave

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 6
^^^ Thanks, Yea I will look into those. Keep the suggestions rolling.

I tested the Energy C-500 and they do sound pretty nice!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2422
Totem speakers are detailed with excellent imaging and soundstage depth. Most Totems do an incredible disappearing act. I'm not sure what Edster was referring to in his characterization of speakers. Marc is correct in that the Totems are an inefficient speaker and require an amp with a good power supply that can provide the necessary current to drive them to their fullest potential.

Both Paradigm and Energy are middle of the road efficiency and vary in quality depending on what range you buy. IMO the Reference series Paradigm speakers represent the best value that Paradigm makes in terms of SQ return on the dollar. For Energy I'm quite fond of the Reference Connoisseur line. I've heard a Yamaha receiver drive that line very nicely.

Polk's upper end speakers are very good and quite neutral. Their bottom end lines are best avoided. Athena represents excellent bang for the buck but not in the same league as the Paradigm and Energy speakers I mentioned. I haven't heard Mirage speakers for a couple of years and will have to rectify that. I would forget the JBL and Axiom's unless you really like their sound.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 7
Well was at one of the local dealers and these where the speakers they had, that I could possibly afford. Remember these are all Canadian Prices.

Energy C-500-$750
Infinity P60 3W-$950
Athena As-F2.2-$750
JBL E90-$800
Polk Audio RTi10-$1250
Axiom audio millenia m60 ti-$1100
The whole Yamaha line
And then the Paradigms that where suggested
Paradigm Studio 60-$1500(which would make me have to skip the sub for awhile)

This is just at my local shop, so can you do me a favour and tell me right of the bat the speakers out of those to cross off so I can narrow it down.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 29
INFINITY NO.NO.NO. older infinity was a much better speaker, same as NHTs, quality seemed to get lost in mass production, IOW not the same quality or sound. The rest IMO should be based on what you hear, and like, not much difference in build quality, have you listened to more expensive speakers? I really think you should listen to something more expensive, not just because of the cost, but because of driver config. internal crossovers used, cabinet build etc, so you can get an idea of the sound YOU like, then apply that to the speakers your looking at, if its just the bass your listening for then listen for how quick the bass is, how fast the bass is, and how extended it is as well, try (its hard at first) to seperate the speaker into musical parts, drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc, and see what you like about each sound, or conversly what you dont like, and that will help making final decision. It sounds somewhat confusing and complicated but its not if you really listen, not just for a minute, and bring along something you listen to, that your familiar with, Ive noticed in my time auditioning in the past, the dealer will have a particular CD for showcasing a speakers strengths, and not its weaknesses, so if you have your own CD with you, youll be able to apply that to what speaker performs, and sounds like you want it to. Dave

Bronze Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 30
also more than one cd. Dave

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 8
I was told that Infinity came out with a new speaker in my price range called the primus 360, that is supposed to me ideal for the type of music. I don't know what do you think I heard from alot of people not to go to Infinity.

Thanks

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 9
^^^ I think I spoke too soon, those speakers look like garbage!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 704
VERY VERY HEAVY BASS is what you described, at VERY high volumes.
No brainer.
Klipch or Cerwin Vega.
No sub req'd with most of these.
Just room for the bins and a powerful industrial amp, like Behringer, and off you go.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 10
^^^ Yea that is what I was considering, but I listen to alot of Blues so that is why I was considering other things! But I still am considering that route since I have blown the crap out of alot of speakers!

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 11
^^^ oh and if I did go that route, should I go for there home or professional lines!

Have a friend with JBL Club audio in his home but haven't heard to much of them!

And if I didn't have to buy a Sub I Could Spend at most between $1800-$2000 on speakers if I knew they would get 5 yrs of heavy use out of them!

When I say I listen to bass heavy music, Some of the music I make is nothing but one huge low frequency bass line!

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 12
^^^ Club speakers would probably be crap in a small space, but man would they pound...I would be better with home audio Im sure!

And sorry for all the questions, just moved out of the house and don't have the parents JM Labs to listen to anymore, gotta get something quick!

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 48
since you have x amount of dollars to spend. why not look on www.audigon.com and see if you can find used or demos for a good price. also i would add quads to your list. good prices on audiogon on those.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 13
Well I just got the yamaha amp,and the Energy C-500 and ended up buying a barley used JM Labs sub off a friend all for under $2000C. The Energy's were the best in the under $1000 price catagory by far. Thank you for all your help I will let you know how it all sounds when I hook it up!

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 14
And after my friend read this post, he is now interested in the paradigm reference studios. He wants to know if it's worth the extra $600 to go up to the 100's instead of the 60's. And he lives in an apartment so for just stereo use, would you consider having a sub with these speakers? They do have a bass freakuency of 20hz-20khz, so would you really need a sub to pick up frequencis lower then that?

What are your general few on these speakers and for $2000 is there something else you would choose?

Thanks from my Friend!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us